Fellow W212 owners - Quick check please? (especially if you have rattles!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclass

Car
c class
Hi All

I have a 61 plate W212 and was hoping someone could check something for me, I took my car into the dealer as I had a intermittent rattle on rough road surfaces, they took a lot of the trim apart and advised it was one of my middle air vents.

I have 2 issues:
1) I'm not sure their diagnosis is accurate as before the car went in, the vent was fine, now the controls to move the vent for one side do not work, there excuse was they've put it back as best they could, looks like they broke it and are now blaming that for the noise.
Its being replaced under warranty so I have not kicked off about this but am not happy with about it, vent was fine before they took everything apart.

2) My silver trim is not flush against the top of the dashboard however I cant recall if it should be, see image below:
mwZW4.jpg

As you can see towards the middle of the dash the silver trim and top of dash is flush, as it goes towards the left of the car the silver trim goes under the dash, is your car also like this?

Also while car is with them, are there any common areas where the car rattles or squeaks from I can focus them on? to me it sounded like it was coming from the area where the power button is to turn on the car audio system, its hard to reproduce as sometimes it does it and sometimes it does not.

Advice appreciated :)

Last edited:
image-2393727299.jpg

Hi

My S212 is level all the way across. Can you make it out in the photo? It looks like yours needs to be pushed in on the right as you look at it.

Al

Thanks for the replies, I thought the left side had gone in so it should be how it is on the right but looking at yours Abcan your correct, looks like my right side needs to be pushed in.

Headhurts when you said its level do you mean it looks similar to mine on the right or the left bit where the silver is underneath the rubberised dash?

Hi. Sorry level is probably a bad word to use. The gap between the rubber dash and the metal trim is the same across the trim panel. To me the outer part of the metal trim (nearest the door) on yours looks correct. The inner part (nearest the centre console) looks like it needs to be pushed in.

It definitely doesn't look right, take it back to the dealers and ask the to sort it out.

Thank you both :)

Any chance of a couple of higher resolution pictures, I'll print them out and take them with me.
With the dealer everything seems to be a battle so will be useful to have clear evidence

If I'm home before it's dark I'll take some today. If not I'll do it tomorrow.

My W212 has the silver trim pushed further in than the dark trim on top, and is even depth from door to console.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Just to confuse the issue mine is flat at the centre position and recessed at the vent at left. Identical to OP pic in post1. edit: and looking at the RHS it's the same as the left in that it's 'in' at the outer end and flush beside the temp gauge.

Last edited:
Headhurts when you said its level do you mean it looks similar to mine on the right or the left bit where the silver is underneath the rubberised dash?[/QUOTE]

My rubberised dash trim overhangs the silver trim evenly along its length.

Photo included but a bit grainy as it's getting dark outside.
4c18e3a5d4cd73b17009e50ab45e62c0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm thats interesting, as mine and druk's trim is both wood, maybe that is different?

mine has just come out of the garage for something similar, as that trim was rattling like a *******. they took the trim off, tightened up all the air vents and replaced the rubbers behind the trim to add more insulation & padding.

My passenger side seatbelt was also rattling so that's been replaced too

beautifully silent now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom