Few questions from a noob.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heddlo

Car
W203 C180k Saloon 2004
Hey all,
Noob here.

I'm slowly building up my confidence in trying to do stuff for myself, did my first full service this weekend and Consuela is now purring again. Still got to do the spark plugs and fuel filter, but didn't have the right tools or axel stands, so will do them again in the near future. Genuinely surprised how easy everything is.
I have a few questions now though.

1) the air intake hose (think that's its name - hose from the front scoop, leading to the air filter. Goes above the radiator!), anyway it's looking a bit old. Surprisingly that it seems so cheaply made - fabric material. I'm properly waffling now, sorry. My point is, is there any suggestions in making it look a bit nicer and also just renew it.

2) is it worth replacing the ignition coils at the same time as the plugs? I was going to, but they're about £40 each and I need four obviously.

3) is there any other simple upgrades I can do, to help me slowly build my confidence and knowledge up?

Cheers

Tom

This might be useful?
Mercedes-Benz C-Class W203 (2000-2007) Technical Articles – C320 E320 ML320 CLK320 SLK320 – Pelican Parts
If there is no sign of misfire I wouldn't necessarily replace the plugs and certainly not the coils. Haynes recommends changing the plugs every 4 years or at 55-65 thousand miles provided the recommended long life plugs are used.

If you do change the plugs try to disturb the associated wiring as little as possible from its natural "run" It tends to get cooked under that cam cover plate so no bending it back on itself for better access if it can be avoided.
Haynes manual https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercedes-B...ords=mercedes+class+haynes&tag=amazon0e9db-21
and lots of stuff on youtube.
I would recommend NGK ILFR6A long life spark plugs

I've just ordered that exact book today. So I'll have a proper read when I get it.

I got Bosch plugs. It's not misfiring. But it's been a few years since they were replaced, so just thought it would be sensible to do them whilst under the bonet.

I won't bother with the coils then. Just did the plugs and coils on a mates car and it seemed to make a big difference. Hers is Peugeot 206 though, so every little helps on that.

Thanks for your help though. Appreciated.

The plug gap probably has more effect than changing the coils if there's nothing wrong with them. - Generally speaking a bigger gap gives a larger spark (because you need higher potential to jump the gap), but it's prone to blow-out under boost.

Obviously it's not worth trying to re-gap plugs with precious metal tips; they're too delicate and if the tip comes off it can do damage inside the combustion chamber.

Correct, the plug manufacturer will provide the gap information, or otherwise say that the gap in not adjustable (which was the cass with the NGK Iridium plugs I bought fot the W203) .

Just done the same service myself. Used a vacuum cleaner to suck out any debris around the plugs after just loosening them off to avoid any falling into the cylinder and put a little anti-seize on the last few threads of the new plugs.
You'll need either new crimps and the tool for the fuel filter or jubilee clips to replace them and a clamp to seal off the pipes one at a time to change them. Be careful about any residual pressure in the system and wear eye protection and have some container ready for the petrol.
The air intake hose I just glued back together with impact adhesive as it wasn't too bad a bit messy but there are replacements on ebay but make sure there is a good photo.
Happy servicing.

The air intake hose doesn't really matter. - Technically it's taking cold air from outside of the engine bay, but it's unmetered so it doesn't need to be sealed.

If you can find a replacement pipe you like the look of, go for it.

1) the air intake hose (think that's its name - hose from the front scoop, leading to the air filter. Goes above the radiator!), anyway it's looking a bit old. Surprisingly that it seems so cheaply made - fabric material. I'm properly waffling now, sorry. My point is, is there any suggestions in making it look a bit nicer and also just renew it.

I bought one of these: Purple Universal Adjustable 3"/75mm Flexible Cold Air Intake Pipe Inlet Hose | eBay
The hose will fit into the old MB end fittings after you remove the old cardboard tube, and can be clamped into place with the jubilee clips.
The mid support bracket can be cut to accommodate the larger tube, and neatly slotted and zip-tied to support the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom