Fiat 500 braking problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Conquistador

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 S350L BlueTec
Hi all, thought I'd ask this question on here before going through signing up to a Fiat forum:

It's my sister's car, I took it for a drive the other day and noticed when braking (and only when braking) the car bumps and judders to a halt. It's most noticeable under 20mph and is relative to the speed of the car. It's hard to describe the sensation but I it almost FEELS like the brake disc isn't flat. You can feel each rotation of the wheel as you come to a stop.

She claims not to have rammed up any kerbs and there are no visible flat spots or chunks out the alloys or tyres.

Hopefully I've explained it ok but Anybody have any idea what this could be?

Do you feel it through the brake pedal, like pulsing?

If it is only under braking then suspect a warped disc or sticking caliper. It should be easy for any competent garage to check either for you :)

They are known to have problems with sticking calipers and certainly the early ones had problems with master cylinder seals. Don't think the master cylinders are particularly expensive to renew. The ford KA may have the same part and be slightly cheaper?

Without driving the car to feel its hard to advise, so would recommend getting it to a garage.

Warped discs are a possibility but usually at higher speeds or harder braking and can be felt more through the steering wheel.

May be a problem with a reluctor ring causing the abs to pulse.

Could be a suspension joint/wheel bearing. Tyre deformed/badly feathered or something loose. Quite a lot of possibilities so really needs the eye of a mechanic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom