First Merc. Initial impressions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bertj

Car
C Class Estate W205
My first post here as I've just bought a low mileage, 8 month old C Class 250 Sport Auto Bluetec Estate after 35 years of VW's. Initial impressions are very favourable, especially the build quality, power and comfort. I'm also very impressed by the local MB dealer in considerable contrast to local VW dealers.
However, I'm still trying to come to terms with the very different controls, switch gear and displays. I find the wiper switch very awkward to use as well as the cruise control especially as the light for the speedtronic system is obscured by the steering wheel.
I haven't yet worked out what the purpose of the finger sliding 'thingy' between the seats is as, I think, it duplicates the actions of the rotary knob below it.
Also, I'm still puzzled by the auto hold and engine off/on actions - they seem to me to have little logic as to whether they work or not.
It certainly is a very complex car that I'm sure I'll eventually get used to but have a slight feeling that some of the systems are less than intuitive.
Despite the above I certainly don't regret buying the car and I would welcome any comments/advice about it.

Welcome. Glad you like the new car. You are right: some of the features are far from intuitive but be assured, you will get used to them in time.

All will become 2nd nature and you won't even think about it. It's actually a clever bit of design for a wiper stalk.

The brake hold is also very easy when you have the hang on it. After braking to a stop just keep your foot pressed on the brake and give it a little sharp dip/prod/press. Doesn't need to be hard or anything.

The finger sliding thingy between the seats is the comfort seat feature. Read the manual for specifics but basically they adjust the bolsters and squabs of the seats.

I find the cruise control brilliant, especially when you compare it to the Mondeo one, which you have to switch on and off. Just one little lift and you've set the speed. Lift it more to inch up one mile an hour or lift fully to raise it by five miles an hour. The opposite drops the mileage.

Have a play on a quiet road to get a good feel for it.

In the meantime, have fun driving your new car.

Thanks for the replies.
I've now found out that the 'finger sliding 'thingy' I mentioned in my first post is similar to a touchpad on a laptop. However, I still can't work out the reason for it when the rotary controller seems to operate the options on the display panel.
I agree that the cruise control works well but only when the speedtronic is not switched on! I was very confused at one point because the indicator light for the speedtronic was on but I couldn't see it!

Thanks for the replies.
I've now found out that the 'finger sliding 'thingy' I mentioned in my first post is similar to a touchpad on a laptop. However, I still can't work out the reason for it when the rotary controller seems to operate the options on the display panel.
I agree that the cruise control works well but only when the speedtronic is not switched on! I was very confused at one point because the indicator light for the speedtronic was on but I couldn't see it!

The 'touchpad' has additional functions such as shortcuts - if you have say the sat nav displayed you can press the middle button and it brings up the pre-set radio stations Which you can flick through to select a different station. You can set your own shortcuts.

The user interface isn't bad, but it is a bit inconsistent/long winded at times.

One of the things I found really weird was that it is a multi button, knob turn selection process to navigate to the point that you can turn off the display (without actually turning off the radio). I ultimately put in on a favourite so that now it's a simple 2 button press.

For the most part the touchpad is redundant, all the functionality is duplicated on the knob. In fact it can be annoying that sometimes when you are resting your hand down there, you end up inadvertantly changing the radio station. It can be a bit useful for hand writting the numbers you want to dial, which is maginally quicker and a good deal safer than having to select the digits using the knob. But how often should you be dialing a new number when you're driving ? I also find it a bit long-winded to get to the point of finding a number in my contact list, with sometimes a few seconds delay between selecting a letter and getting the list of the corresponding contacts. System feels a bit underpowered.

Finally, having standard voice control ONLY for the Nav is a bit cheap. Even a bloody fiesta has voice dialing.

Last edited:
tangey said:
But how often should you be dialing a new number when you're driving ? I also find it a bit long-winded to get to the point of finding a number in my contact list, with sometimes a few seconds delay between selecting a letter and getting the list of the corresponding contacts. System feels a bit underpowered. Finally, having standard voice control ONLY for the Nav is a bit cheap. Even a bloody fiesta has voice dialing.
Perhaps it's a safety feature to discourage drivers from making phone calls! Presumably you don't have Linguatronic which does have voice dialling, as well as voice controlled pretty much everything else.

Perhaps it's a safety feature to discourage drivers from making phone calls! Presumably you don't have Linguatronic which does have voice dialling, as well as voice controlled pretty much everything else.

The term linguatronic doesn't appear anywhere in the brochure for the GLC, so unless it comes as part of the optional COMMAND system(which is part of the "plus" spec), it's not available to be specified.
Like I said, if it can be priced into a £10K fiesta, you'd think it should be priced into a 40K Merc. Not that I'd use it a lot, but probably more that I'd used the facility to talk to the satnav.

Last edited:
The term linguatronic doesn't appear anywhere in the brochure for the GLC, so unless it comes as part of the optional COMMAND system(which is part of the "plus" spec), it's not available to be specified.

I have the premium plus pack on my GLC and I can confirm it has Linguatronic. I have only tried the voice dialling a couple of times but it's worked perfectly both times.

According to the brochure it's part of the COMAND Online system included in the premium plus pack. It's just in very small print...

I have the premium plus pack on my GLC and I can confirm it has Linguatronic. I have only tried the voice dialling a couple of times but it's worked perfectly both times.

According to the brochure it's part of the COMAND Online system included in the premium plus pack. It's just in very small print...

Thanks for that.
So Ford Fiesta style voice dialing is an option after all, you just need the £3K premium plus pack to get it :)

tangey said:
Thanks for that. So Ford Fiesta style voice dialing is an option after all, you just need the £3K premium plus pack to get it :)
And that still doesn't get you a Ford style heated windscreen! But there's no way I'd swap my three-pointed star for a Ford badge.

Cls

Hi folks , I just bought a 2008 CLS , 90,000mls on the clock , serviced up to 87,000 , my question is , what should I look out for? . I have taken it out for a drive and all seems well and good . Body work and interior are in excellent condition , its the 320cdi . I have had 2 C class cars in the past but this is the one I have wanted for a long time . Thank you for any answers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom