Fitting 5V power to a 211 glovebox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flying banana

Car
‘18 AMG GTS Premium - Selenite Grey, '99 Lotus Elise S1 111s - Mustard Pearl
Afternoon all. So I am in the process of sorting out a couple of Raspberry PIs to act as 1) Bluetooth audio receiver (my car doesn't have Bluetooth audio fitted) and 2) An in-car media centre - wifi based so the kids can stream movies from the PI to their iPads on long journeys.

I have a pathological hatred of exposed cabling and so the PIs will be mounted in the glovebox. I therefore need to sort out 2 x 5v (ideally) power supplies terminated in micro USB connectors to go direct into the PIs.

The obvious way to do it would be to add a 12v standard power socket in the glovebox and use a 2a dual USB charging adapter - nice and neat internally provided I can find some ultra short USB-Micro USB cables (15cm or less.

The reason this post is in "interior" rather than "electronics" is that I need to figure out where it's safe to mount the power adapter from a clearance perspective. I will take the feed from the cigar lighter in the dash cubby, but have no idea (without taking the whole glovebox unit out) where critical wiring/ducting/dash structures or vents go. I do know the Pax airbag is mounted above it so don't want to be hacking away blindly at this.

Does anyone have prior experience of routing a power source into the glovebox of a post facelift 211 E class, and if so is there any pointers/pictures/advice I can take advantage of.

Many thanks in advance :thumb:

These are neat.

HubVolt DM - iSimple

We use them when someone needs a hidden USB for feeding a dash cam etc ,or when someone wants a USB in the glovebox.

You don't use the funny shape mounting, they mount pretty much flush (ok, so you have to drill a hole for them) - you can see where you are drilling on the left hand side and these are very shallow with no exposed wiring compared to a cigarette lighter socket

You can probably get a USB -> dual micro USB splitter cable quite easily

Cheers

Richard

This is what you're after. Effectively the gubbins of a mobile phone charger. I'm sure you could easily fashion a little case for it, or attach to the side of the glovebox if needed. 5A will be more than enough to run a Pi.

DC 12V 24V 40V to 5V Step Down USB Step-down Power: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Useful, thanks :thumb:

Just had a bit of a nosy around and there's space to mount that behind the dash end panel by the passenger door. I could then cut a small slot in the plastic blanking plate on that side of the glovebox to get the USB cables through into the glovebox. a couple of Velcro cable fixtures and it looks like a goer. Added bonus of being able to use the space between the gloveboax and the dash end panel to lose excess wire. :rock:

Just nee to find a little plastic box to mount that in - there's plenty of bare metal in that void....

Cheers again :thumb:

These are neat.

HubVolt DM - iSimple

We use them when someone needs a hidden USB for feeding a dash cam etc ,or when someone wants a USB in the glovebox.

You don't use the funny shape mounting, they mount pretty much flush (ok, so you have to drill a hole for them) - you can see where you are drilling on the left hand side and these are very shallow with no exposed wiring compared to a cigarette lighter socket

You can probably get a USB -> dual micro USB splitter cable quite easily

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Richard - I'd probably need a couple - the PI likes a nice fat stable power supply and 1a for two is pushing it at bit. I'll have a nosy around for similar stuff though :thumb:

Useful, thanks :thumb:

Just had a bit of a nosy around and there's space to mount that behind the dash end panel by the passenger door. I could then cut a small slot in the plastic blanking plate on that side of the glovebox to get the USB cables through into the glovebox. a couple of Velcro cable fixtures and it looks like a goer. Added bonus of being able to use the space between the gloveboax and the dash end panel to lose excess wire. :rock:

Just nee to find a little plastic box to mount that in - there's plenty of bare metal in that void....

Cheers again :thumb:

My pleasure. I didn't check, but I'm sure there will be some kind of plastic case in the 'people bought this alongside' bit. Good old Amazon algorithms!

Maplins sell small plastic boxes just for this type of thing - come in all sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom