Fitting chrome rings - Yay or Nay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noogieman

MB Enthusiast
Car
I Loewe Old Skool AMG
Would you fit chrome rings to your cluster which never came with this option on w202?
I wonder if these rings will look any good on my C43?

I found many sellers on Ebay, seems like these rings are all from the same factory?
Is there any I should avoid?
I know some of these had adhesive gunk on the backside of the ring for sticking
purpose messing up the dials, newer versions are clip on's.
Does clip on rings fit better and sit tight?

This seller claims his rings are made of aluminium.
MERCEDES C CLASS W202 97-01 CHROME DIAL RINGS SET OF 3 | eBay

Others sellers have rings made of ABS plastic?
Aluminium is a solid material.
ABS plastic is it affected by winter seasons?

Anyone know if the chrome paint peels off from the rings?
I had some license plate surrounds with chrome looks, and they peeled like crap.

Anyone got a picture from a c43 cluster with chrome rings?

Last edited:
Yay IMO, but doesn't seem like a big decision.

Yay IMO, but doesn't seem like a big decision.

this is not an original factory option on w202, that's why I'm not sure if it will look cheap or not on my AMG?
luckily it's not an expensive bling part buying 3 chrome rings for £20

Others sellers have rings made of ABS plastic?
Aluminium is a solid material.
ABS plastic is it affected by winter seasons?

ABS plastic is also a solid material at room temperature. Its coefficient of thermal expansion is about 20 times greater than aluminium - but that is probably a closer match for your existing cluster materials.

Sounds like you're over-analysing this...

The metal stick on ones work fine and do stay on.

ABS plastic is also a solid material at room temperature. Its coefficient of thermal expansion is about 20 times greater than aluminium - but that is probably a closer match for your existing cluster materials.

Sounds like you're over-analysing this...

gotta ask to be sure B4 I buy those rings.
I will get those for my cluster to match my chromed 52mm VDO oil/volt gauges recently fitted.
Pics will come soon when I get my car back from the shop.

The metal stick on ones work fine and do stay on.

looks pritty nice when you get used to it.
new style rings have clip ins fasteners, older style rings have adhesive gunk which in my opinion is no good, might mess up a white face dial.

Hi There effbee584. Sorry for the hour can’t seem to sleep with this ------* diabetes. On a completely different tack I see you quoted Pink Floyd are you by any chance an admirer of them. Thing is I took all my collection and converted the tracks to MP3`s (some 7 hours) and put them to DVD. My MB has DVD so now its absolute bliss, what a way to go driving the thing I love while listening to the boys. If your interested I will mail you a copy, it would be my pleasure.

Hi There effbee584. Sorry for the hour can’t seem to sleep with this ------* diabetes. On a completely different tack I see you quoted Pink Floyd are you by any chance an admirer of them. Thing is I took all my collection and converted the tracks to MP3`s (some 7 hours) and put them to DVD. My MB has DVD so now its absolute bliss, what a way to go driving the thing I love while listening to the boys. If your interested I will mail you a copy, it would be my pleasure.

Well John, quite off topic here, but I do want to respond, so will start a new thread on the OT (Off Topic) forum, titled Pink Floyd.

I'll also send you a private message (PM) with my details.

Thanks again.

Staying on topic, I added chrome stuff to my first MB, a W124, and headlamp surrounds a to a later W210 E280, and they did look good. IMO.

Nay - looks cheap and tacky

Nay - looks cheap and tacky

I still would like to know what it looks like with C43AMG dials B4 I buy them.

Hopefully I will today on Sunday get my car back from my mechanics, he fitted 3 VDO chrome viewline gauges with white facedials, they will match my cluster facedials.
This is what they look like.
Slspeed Fahrzeugteile - VDO "ViewLine" Instrumente weiß/chrom
That's why I want to chrome match my clustergauges to VDO gauges.
Yay or nay?

I will take some snapshots of my car and post later.

This is a sneak preview of a Carlsson tuned CLK.
Gauges looks decent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom