Fixing a bad polishing job

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Asal

Car
E 220d estate 2013
Main MB dealer did Star Guard paint protection on the car as part of the purchase deal.

When I finally uplifted my car, and 2 days later in sunshine, I see all the polisher swirl marks all over the car, not happy, but the dealer did not inspire confidence.

I am reluctant to let the same people buff the car again, and not sure that paint protection system would be re-applied.

Lost faith in the dealer here to be honest, no return to my telephone calls etc.

Thinking about fixing the problem myself.

What products and methods could you recommend.

Thanks,
John

Which dealer (or if you'd rather not say which area were they). I had exactly the same problem....at a 'northern' dealership

If it was the one at Giffnock then they dont have a body / detailing shop at the dealership , a third party company is used for their bodywork and only arrives on site whenever required.

I had an issue with the lacquer finish on the rear quarter panel of my CLS so i took it in and , luckily , the bodywork chaps were in that day. A quick mopping and all was good.

Take pics , especially in direct sunlight (if we ever get some) and go back into the dealership and have a chat with the workshop manager , ask him if the finish is acceptable and if not insist they rectify the problem and if he say it is then start the complaints procedure.

Kenny

I wasn't the Giffnock branch.

Maybe I should give the dealer one more go at this, maybe it's not the salesman I should be dealing with, but the workshop manager as mentioned.

Thanks Guys.

Talk about the problem very loudly to the salesman in the middle of the showroom on a busy Saturday morning - always worked for me. They become very amenable if they think it is going to hurt sales.

The star guard protection you get is crap !!! it's only there wash guys who polish the car and put a fancy wash packet in the boot all for the £300. Personally I'd recommend a good detail not the dealership starguard as it's a waste of your hard earned money.

Any good body shop or detailer should be able to get the swirl marks out. The darker colour the car the worse it will look.
If you can afford it I'd recommend a good detail and a ceramic coating.

Hi all, sorry for the late reply, been unwell :(.

Local bodyshop wanted £400.00 to take out swirls and apply carnauba, £600.00 if ceramic coating applied.

Thought I would try MB again, result - they polished out the swirls and made a good job of it, and re-applied star guard.

I was happy just to have the polishing done, no charge for the work so even happier.

Thanks all.

John

Nice result, i recently paid £500 for enhancement detail and ceramic coat. SOOO SHIINNYY!!

Not done for the new merc yet, maybe eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom