Fly splats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

On an evening drive last week the front of our new to us Discovery was peppered in more fly splats than I've seen in ages, far more than our previous e class ever got

Question is, are there more flys around or do brick shaped cars attract more splats?

It reminded me of a joke, what's the last thing to go through a fly's head as it hits the windscreen?

It's backside

"How do you know that?", asked the other half

It is the result of a combination of things I think.
Hot nights, no wind, driving with strong headlights on in areas with no road lighting for long periods of time, Farmers that may not have sprayed.

Here it can get so bad after four hours you won't see your bumper for the flies, leave it for longer than three days in the garage and it stinks heaven high, put it outside and the flys feed off the dead insects.

I leave work at around 15:00 and drive an hour home, just lately I have noticed an increase of huge Fly Splats on the windscreen, I think they may be Flying Ants, that always make a Splat about the size of a 10 Pence Piece then if you attempt to use the Windscreen Wiper they seem to smear all over the place! :wallbash:

Middle to late Summer on a full moon can be worse because they are in the prime of the breeding season...
The only real way to get them off the screen I suspect is to use a treatment on the glass or stop in at the Servo and use the double edged brush and wipe things they have...

They can be a real nuisance at certain times of the year - even dangerous.

Just driven back from Spain and was surprised at lack of flies, when we return in September, the screen, lights and bumper get covered and need to screen clean at most coffee stops, must be their season.

Driving to Germany in the summer in the Vito has been a nightmare in the past - I had to buy a bug remover spray and sponge (for the windscreen and lights) on the way. Going through open farmland/plains seems to be the worst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom