Foglight mod question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phillyjim

Car
CLS320 CDI
Hi guys, hope someone can help with a relatively simple question...

I'm partial to a little tinkering with my w219 CLS but I don't want to start pulling things apart if someone else has already had a go and can advise.

I'm considering a little mod on my foglights, replacing the original bulb with an LED cluster. The question I have is: can you get into the actual light? I.e. take the front glass away from the backing/electronics (Brown in the pic)?

I've attached an image for reference.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20151127_113346.jpg
    IMG_20151127_113346.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 31
Yeh, nice mod Killer. Looks like a professional job.

Still need an answer to my original question though, if anyone can help?

When I was thinking about adding DRLs to my fog lights, one of the options considered, was taking a lens out and installing a round "angel eye" type LED light, whilst keeping the existing H11 fog bulb as is.

In the end I decided against it, as it was too BMW-looking and, in answer to your question, it turns out the front lens is not removable, as least not without breaking the fog lamp, as it is bonded in.

The part numbers are A251 820 0856 / 0756 for OS/NS fog lamps, which were also fitted to CLS, although not sure which years/models, so might not be relevant. It looks like this:

IMG_3498%20resized_zpsoppvcg69.jpg

That's exactly what I was looking to do!

Back to the drawing board though it would seem.

Many thanks!

If it's any help, I went for a separate individual LEDs, mounted on a fog surround, and kept the fog lights, including 'follow me home' functions unaffected.

IMG_3252small_zpshzlhcpyz.jpg

That's different, is that for a CLS though? Is it something you've put together yourself GLK?

That's different, is that for a CLS though? Is it something you've put together yourself GLK?

No, it's for a 2006 A class W169, but the fog light is the same part number and fog surround is of a similar shape.

Yes, I put the whole thing together myself :thumb:

Fits with a slight mod to the original foglight mounting or slight adjustment to the mounts on the unit. The guys at Comand did the fitting. Bumper off to mount the resisters.

All the original fog functionality is retained. I particularly wanted the welcome home fogs to come on. I have no error messages on the dash or via STAR. You may need a little extra wiring/relay to prevent them coming on when the car's locked or put on charge. Seems to depend on the system loading from options fitted.

The DRLs are really very bright, with reduced output when the dipped headlamps come on.

Very well made units with 5yrs warranty.

Last edited:
Fits with a slight mod to the original foglight mounting or slight adjustment to the mounts on the unit. The guys at Comand did the fitting. Bumper off to mount the resisters.

All the original fog functionality is retained. I particularly wanted the welcome home fogs to come on. I have no error messages on the dash or via STAR. You may need a little extra wiring/relay to prevent them coming on when the car's locked or put on charge. Seems to depend on the system loading from options fitted.

The DRLs are really very bright, with reduced output when the dipped headlamps come on.

Very well made units with 5yrs warranty.

They look good Peter, I have been thinking of doing something like this but as you wanted to keep all functionality of the original fog light, all the individual DRL units just don't look OEM enough for me.
I have/had been considering the Brabus twin light conversion, adds an additional light unit next to the original fog light, I now have two options open to me.

I considered the Brabus twin lights but could only see them as part of a complete bumper conversion.

These Osrams look very good with the "curly L" shaped DRL segment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom