Folding Mirrors - modification to stop them causing issues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NitJay

Car
2006 CLK 320CDI
Hi,

When I bought my CLK one of my favourite convenience features was the power folding mirrors. Both my driveway and work car park are very tight and the auto folding mirrors made life a lot easier.

I read on here that they can cause issues with the indicators/heater so turned the feature off. Sure enough I noticed the heated passenger side door mirror does not work (although indicator is fine).

Is there a guide or modification I can do to stop issues from occuring? I'd really like to fix the heated mirror and turn them back on.

Any links to the best/pic heavy guides would be appreciated.

Thanks!
NJ

Is it just that the wires get stressed and break? In which case the fix is to rejoin the wires (or ideally replace that section of loom).

I suspect that fresh wiring won't break for quite a while, but some kind of sheath would help protect it. - Maybe shrink-wrap installed as part of the repair?

Obviously if that's not what the problem is, this won't help.

Replace that part of the loom with high flex cabling?

When I had a Clk one folding door mirror would intermittently not fold in which was vital when you have a tight garage.After a bit of a tussle with Mercedes they replaced it It worked fine and after that I used my folding door mirrors everyday for 8 years to get in and out of my garage with no issues.

I think you'll find that the passenger side mirror is not a heated one. The only way to get a heated mirror on that side is to fit a driver's side glass for a LHD car and add the extra wiring.

Both door mirrors are heated but only the driver's is auto-dim

Yep, both mirrors heat. If yours doesn't, it's broken. It'll be the heating element that's gone so you'll need new heater mirror glass which is about 15 quid on eBay.

Regarding the OP, why not wait for it to fail before messing with it? As you don't know it's going to fail at all. Mine fold every time and car is 10 years old and 105k.

How do I tell if the heated mirrors are working, or is the fact that I've never noticed them clearing frost evidence that they are doing their job?

Try feeling the mirror glass, should be quite warm to the touch.

Heaters come on automatically at temps below ~12c

Both mirrors on any MB I have had (4) have been heated

I think you'll find that the passenger side mirror is not a heated one. The only way to get a heated mirror on that side is to fit a driver's side glass for a LHD car and add the extra wiring.

Sounds like you've a job to do this week end G...

How do I tell if the heated mirrors are working, or is the fact that I've never noticed them clearing frost evidence that they are doing their job?

Turn them on and after 5~10 minutes feel them. The right one will be quite hot, compare with the left.

??

Just press the button! The rear window demister button turns them on in any temperature. You don't have to wait until it's cold.

All that was said was that they come on automatically below a certain temp.

??

Just press the button! The rear window demister button turns them on in any temperature. You don't have to wait until it's cold.

All that was said was that they come on automatically below a certain temp.

On the older models, certainly my '05 203 and 219 the door mirrors only operate automatically. There is no manual on function. The owner's handbook for the '05 E class only mentions automatic heating at low temps. Rear screen heater is a separate function.

I can't see anything in my handbook about heated mirrors, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong section(s). - Should it show on the data card?
Mine says "Automatic dimming", "memory package", and "folding".

I believe all MB door mirrors have been heated since the year dot.

Does it not mention anything under exterior rear view mirrors in your handbook? Perhaps under Safety and clear vision or demisting or defrosting in the index?

Ooh, I thought we were talking about a different car.

To be certain, just pop off the passenger mirror, you can see the wires and heating element.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom