Folding mirrors that will not fold automatically

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I first got my W220, the mirrors folded with one one touch. There was no option to auto fold in the convenience menu.
Since I had the instrument cluster replaced under recall I now have to hold the button until mirrors fold. And now according to the menu I have the option to auto fold but it still does not work!
My guess is that the cluster has probably been replaced in the past.

That sounds like a STAR setting. As the menu is part of the instrument cluster, if they had retro-graded you you wouldn't have the option any more, surely. I've had lots of instances where things haven't been reset properly after replacing a part. Get your dealer to reset it.

Last edited:
Still intrigued by all this. My pricelist for the facelift model shows COMAND as standard.

More intrigued by these menu entries though. It could be a programming issue if the cluster was replaced but seems unlikely.

It sounds like you've had the cluster replaced (probably under warranty since there was a recall on them because the lighting failed), and the dealer programmed it slightly wrong - i.e showing the folding mirror option, which only came about around 2004.

Retrofitting COMAND to these is possible, one needs
a) new wood panel, and possibly plastics behind
b) comand
c) genuine wiring loom
+ a few screws possibly

It is better to fit the 2003 widescreen CD based version - same stuff needed, just a nicer COMAND system (no casette though). It is possible that as you have the Audio-30 if you go to the 03 widescreen you dont need the expensive wiring loom.

Richard

My pricelist for the facelift model shows COMAND as standard.

Yes, but the pre facelift models did have COMAND as an option. I don't have the option list for the CL, but have it for the same generation s-class and it's optional in there.

Ok and now my daft question ... what does comand offer more?
except sat-nav, optional TV?

To me, COMAND is a lot more than its composing parts. In other words, even if you go out and buy a separate sat nav, and a tv tuner, etc, it still isn't the same as the integrated COMAND system.

The key word is "integrated". COMAND integrates a raft of functions for audio, sat nav, tv, telephone and general system settings and management into a single system. SO, they become integrated systems. The speed sensitive volume control, auto mute of other sources when making/receiving calls or getting sat-nav directions, the ability to set individual volume levels for different sources and to specify volume differential for the sat nav directions over other audio sources, etc, etc, al make COMAND a truly integrated experience.

When I am driving with the sat nav on, I have the map on the big screen, and the direction symbols in the cluster display so that I don't need to take my eyes of the road. This working together of the cluster display and the main COMAND unit is the type of integrated experience you would not get with separate systems to the same extent.

I also have the optional linguatronic in my car, which even further enhances the COMAND experience, by allowing me to control all its functions by voice command as well.

And then there is the fact that COMAND is properly integrated into the console, not a series of add ons all looking, feeling, behaving differently, but stylistically part of the car. I must say that my older COMAND version to me works better in that respect than more recent versions. This is not just a matter of style though. Things like portable sat navs are what makes thieves smash your window to nick them. With an integrated system such as COMAND in my car, that problem is a lot less (and you don't need the portable sat nav actually in your car to fall victim to that, the tell tale suction marks on the windscreen or dash are often enough).

Of course, each to their own, but IMHO COMAND is a lot more than a conglomerate of individual devices/services and I would not buy a Merc without it any more. :)

Last edited:
Boy talking about in detail analysis ... well spotted though :)
Thank you :D:rock:

I will have to go and try to see how much and where to find the parts.
Apparently comandonline.co.uk do not do comands for CL's, at least this is what they replied to my email earlier this week.

I also found yesterday that my lovely SatNav (Navman) will not work with all this double glazing and infrared windscreen. I have to have sunroof open and all windows down to get decent signal.

Mind you before with my heated windscreen I had on my Cougar... had no problem at all with reception.

What price? :confused:

It quotes in general £999 for the whole installation and parts. I did not ask specifically for my model though...
sorry forgot to paste the link... corrected it now.

It quotes in general £999 for the whole installation and parts. I did not ask specifically for my model though...

It doesn't mention the CL at all (nor the s-class), so possible that they too don't normally do those models.

Personally, I'd PM Alfie again to try and persuade him to do it for you :D.

I will have to go and try to see how much and where to find the parts.
Apparently comandonline.co.uk do not do comands for CL's, at least this is what they replied to my email earlier this week.

Richard, who replied earlier, reply #23, says it can be done. As he is the technical consultant for Comand UK and comandonline, I'd contact him for a quote. He comes highly recommended by myself and many others on this forum.

only if I knew ... how to PM ... I do not seem to have this option on my profile :)

Hi

The problem is getting the 2003 widescreen CD based units (which is why comand.co.uk doesnt mention them) The link you show above is for the new cars. - That generation of S/CL is complicated up to 2002, simplified for 2003, then a complete new system in 2004 !

Contact Alfie via the comand.co.uk website - he is away until Sunday (and at the GTG all day Sunday) and see if he can get the bits. I doubt the wood is cheap though :-( and a breakers yard may be the best source

Richard

only if I knew ... how to PM ... I do not seem to have this option on my profile :)

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=32927

You can get COMAND 2.5 for £150 on e bay, wood surround here for about £35
http://stores.ebay.com/Potomac-Germ...-W220_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ16QQftidZ2QQtZkm

GPS antenna £15, wiring adapter £40, from Bill or Audiocompe -Germany ,Teleatlas disc £25 (2006)

2 hours max to install

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom