Food Hygiene Ratings. Scores on the Doors.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Before you fork out, check out your favourite pubs, clubs, takeaways and restaurants.

I'll bet some of you have eaten at some right dodgy places without knowing. I have! :(

You are able to search for a specific establishment.
However, I found it more interesting to search a borough or town and then see all who had been subjected to the inspections and then filter for the poor or good results.

So, get stuck in! LINK.

Take it with a pinch of salt (no pun intended).

A takeaway getting a poor rating can be down to not labeling boxes correctly etc. There is a Michelin star place near me that has a 1 star, however they don't agree with the food standards agency practice. Inside is a very clean working kitchen

(I've done the food safety course)

Last edited:
I've eaten rubbish in a 5, and regularly have an excellent curry in a 1.

A 5 is more about paperwork, procedures, protocol and pratting about.

It's easy for a big concern to get a 5 - look how many McDonalds, motorway services and KFC have 5. Does that recommend them to me?

I think a good indicator as to the general wellbeing of an eatery is a quick visit to the toilets before sitting down and committing to order.
A badly kept loo doesn't augur well for the rest of the set up.

My fave takeaways had a 0 - ain't been there since i found out.And if it is a 0 -how come they haven't had a closure notice ?
My local great value chippy(where i have been a customer for over 15 yrs) had 4 - but i had bust up with some teenagers:mad:- and the owners backed them:dk:- so i ain't been there - and don't intend do

Well, just had a look for my favourite takeaway on your link and it seems they haven't exactly excelled themselves: -

"(Name removed by me) Tandoori was awarded a Food Hygiene Rating of 0 (Urgent Improvement Necessary) by (my local) Metropolitan Borough Council on 28th April, 2016."

Ah well, I'll still be using them tomorrow night after a few scoops. :)

Happytalk73 said:
You been to Nando's again Ash? :p

Nope, Dry Dock in Leicester :)

5 plates of food for £9.99- Cumberland Sausages and mustard dip/beer battered onion rings/twisty fries topped with cheese and bacon/cheesey garlic bread/chicken goujons and BBQ sauce :devil:

Nope, Dry Dock in Leicester :)

5 plates of food for £9.99- Cumberland Sausages and mustard dip/beer battered onion rings/twisty fries topped with cheese and bacon/cheesey garlic bread/chicken goujons and BBQ sauce :devil:

and there's me with a Pot Noodle & a packet of Seabrook. :(

We were returning home from our holiday on 24/09 and stopped at a "Burger King/Little Chef" to get some lunch. As I walked past I saw the food hygiene rating of 1 star, turned around immediately and instead we stayed on the road until we got to Blythe where the eatery had five stars.

Yeurg!

Coming from someone who has picked up a part eaten kebab (still hot I add) and devoured it, it makes no odds to me. (I was intoxicated at the time in my defence):D

I would avoid somewhere with obvious food hygene issues that are visible, but in a restaurant, nobody has an idea of what goes on in every kitchen.

I once walked past the rear of a restaurant in Southampton many years ago and it was a hot day and the rear kitchen doors were open. I looked in to catch a "chef" picking up potatoes he'd just dropped on the floor and putting them back on the plate:doh:

There's a very well known and respected large hotel in London that I wouldn't touch the food of

We had to survey the building, so expensive to stay there etc. Public areas very plush, but I'd even be suprised if they had a -1.0 hygiene rating. It was disgusting, massive rat problem, heaps of faeces laid above suspended ceiling tiles in the kitchen. Pure grot

Many years ago there was a curry house in our nearest town called the Asian Grill (or Asian Swill as it was known), it's long gone now but I recall going to the toilet there and walking past a bath full of defrosting chickens in the corridor.

I never got ill from eating there.

Nice to know about that site, I usually use Food Standards Agency - Search for food hygiene ratings

I remember opposite my old work place there was a chicken shop which proudly displayed a 5 rating inside but not on the door. When I looked them up on the site above, they actually had a 1. I reported it but not sure anything happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom