For caravanners' eyes only - we're getting a new one!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
Whilst I'd managed to fend off the demands of Mrs D, and resist the purchase of a new caravan for almost four years, today I finally buckled and did a deal on an ACE Supreme Globestar. Mainly because Baby D #2 means we need more space.

We'd fancied a Fleetwood Heritage for some time, but since they stopped trading in January it's been pretty much impossible to get what we wanted new, and we were a little concerned about having an obsolete caravan.

Having travelled around lots of dealers in recent weeks, it seems concensus of their opinions is that a top model from the Swift Group (as they also have wet heating) - or maybe an Elddis Crusader - is the closest alternative to a Fleetwood Heritage.

So we had a look at the Swift Conqueror or Sterling Elite - but we weren't keen on the silver side walls as they're a bit glam for us. The 2009 models now have the older-style bubble windows - it seems that cost cutting started as the economoc downturn deepened.

We then found out that the ACE Supreme and Abbey Spectrum offered the layout we wanted - same spec as the Conqueror and Elite - but without the silver sides. Otherwise it's simple badge engineering.

Better still there were a couple of new 2008 models around which had flush windows and were designed/built to meet the demands of the 2007/8 boom, and so are supposedly slightly better specced!! Result.

Only drawback is that the the ACE brand has now been discontinued by Swift Group - as has Abbey - however as it's Swift, then warranty, servicing, support and parts should all be OK - and there are plenty of dealers around.

So we sniffed one out and have now done a deal - an AWD Powrtouch motor mover is being fitted too before delivery. :bannana:

They have a backlog of caravans to be PDI'd and so we won't get ours for a few weeks - after our Easter break, but I'm sure we'll get an opportunity to break it in soon!!

Library photos:

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

4FBIB03.gif

we were a little concerned about having an obsolete caravan

Is there any other kind?

And one thing that's been puzzling me ... why are they almost invariably white?

Is there any other kind?

Bailey is a big UK manufacturer, and they use cream, which looks OK:

75.jpg

But silver just looks wrong to me!! :crazy:

Conqueror-630-Front-Exterior-[SWIFT].jpg

Is there any other kind?

My sister bought a campervan ( we call it her tramper van :D) and one of her requirements was that it wasn't white, she wanted it to blend in and not look like a campervan:eek::eek:.

So she got a maroon one and on her first trip to the continent she realised why they are nearly all white...........Th sun basking on a maroon one just made it like an oven, even the onboard water ended up warm. So i think they are all white to keep them that little bit cooler in the summer.

Oh good luck with your new caravan Bobby, many happy trips.

Bobby Dazzler....nice van. I like the choice of darker interior woodwork. The new range are too insipid for me. Light oak or birch. :(
Have to disagree with your not liking coloured sides though -and Bailey cream is far too sickly- I do like the silver ( I prefer to think it's blue) Swift.
One of the reasons we bought this is because it stands out in the crowd...just wish the car was more 'matching' however beggars can't be choosers etc.

caravan-1.jpg

Any sites booked yet, cos the CC website is getting a bit crowded out?

One of the reasons we bought this is because it stands out in the crowd...just wish the car was more 'matching' however beggars can't be choosers etc.

caravan-1.jpg

Wow!! What is that - not seen one before? Continental I assume. Looks nice.

Have to disagree with your not liking coloured sides though -and Bailey cream is far too sickly- I do like the silver ( I prefer to think it's blue) Swift.

It's the silver sides specifically that we're less keen on - in a few years time I think it will be out of date, and like anything that tries to look futuristic it may make the caravan look older than it really is down the line.

We only have one holiday booked so far - Isle of Wight next week. I've been badgering Mrs D for months to make some decisions on where we're going and when to make sure we're not scrabbling around for pitches.

Didn't know the Abbey brand had been dropped by Swift Group.

As mentioned, caravans are light coloured to stop them being like ovens when you're in them in the summer.

Friend of mine has a silver caravan though ... now it's a few years old it looks decidedly tatty.

Bobby Dazzler....nice van. I like the choice of darker interior woodwork. The new range are too insipid for me. Light oak or birch. :(

caravan-1.jpg

Any sites booked yet, cos the CC website is getting a bit crowded out?

What's the 320 like as a tow car??

Whilst I'd managed to fend off the demands of Mrs D, and resist the purchase of a new caravan for almost four years, today I finally buckled and did a deal on an ACE Supreme Globestar. Mainly because Baby D #2 means we need more space.]

Don't most people convert a room, build an extension or at a push move home on a new arrival? I for one don't approve of putting a new born in a caravan :mad:
:D

Sounds good :)

The doors on the wrong side so guessing the van above is continental?

The 320 Should make a superb towcar, powerful engine and self leveling..

Have to say our barge does well, and like being able to just about see right through.

Was cleaning our van sat and in the process of fitting a motor mover :)

Caravan is a Burstner Trecento 525. Bought it at the NEC show two years ago this month. Fancy paint was an option. It's the same layout as Bobbys but with the island bed at the towbar end and it's designed to have zero towhitch weight when empty which means the under bed space can be loaded to the 80kg drawbar weight of the 211. A real bonus for towing stability. It's only two berth as well, the lounge at the rear is circular and doesn't convert to a bed. What a drag that is when relatives want to stop over.

The 320 is a fantastic tug. Off with a 1600kg van behind as if it wasn't there. It came with the foldaway towbar and towing package....13pin electrics, extra cooling. The rear parking sensors switch off when the van is connected and the bulb failure works on the van et al. Drawback is it goes from 42mpg down to 23mpg at 60mph.
The facelift 211 is reputed to come with electronic anti-snake if factory specced with towbar. That would be nice to have.

Last edited:
Sorry Bobby for the half-highjack. Is this the first island bed van you've had? You're goin to be amazed at how easy life becomes without all the cushions to rearrange.
We're off to John O' Groats in July. Got the family dog to look after while the tribe are in Spain.

OK. So who added "traffic jams" to the tags at the bottom of this thread??!!

:D

I do prefer to be referred to as a Romani though rather than a gypsy or gippo.

Sorry Bobby for the half-highjack. Is this the first island bed van you've had? You're goin to be amazed at how easy life becomes without all the cushions to rearrange.
We're off to John O' Groats in July. Got the family dog to look after while the tribe are in Spain.

No problem. First island bed - in fact first fixed bed.

We have a large two berth at the moment, big enough to sleep North-South or East-West, which was fine with one Baby D, but with two it would be too tight.

We're looking forward to not having to make beds up as the front diner can be used as twin singles, so minimum effort.

congrats on the new van. Excellent choice. We considered a Conquerer (love the silver sides) before we purchased ours but ended up buying a 2nd hand van to save some cash. We also found it hard to find a big van with the layout we wanted. Since Swift did it loads of vans now have the silver sides so not so unique now. Ours is on our driveway as we speak getting ready for its 1st trip this season next weekend. We washed it and cleaned inside.

We have a mover on ours - invaluable on a twin axle - 99% of the time we never used it, but its like insurance - its there if you do.

I bet Druk's van creates some curtain-twitching on the sites :cool: and from "caravan spotters" - something i'll embarassingly cofess to becoming whilst out on the road. hehe

Last edited:
Us too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom