For classic Jag fans (from PH).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a SIII XJ6 4.2.

It was at the time the best riding car in the world. Waftamatic, like driving your favourite Chesterton Sofa around.

I often look at them on the eBay classic adds.

IMO the one to go for is the SIII 4.2 Sovereign or 5.3 HE

They are a timeless shape. When I owned mine, peoples manners towards you changed, you were waved out at junctions and allowed to slot into traffic with any argie bargie at all.

"Very good condition" and "good chrome" doesn't exactly say £13K !! Then there's the 6 owners and no mention of any history.

More like £5k.

Just like the piccies I used to have on my bedroom wall as a kid.

Have driven one,the ultimate woosh with serenity,wonderful old car.

Just like the piccies I used to have on my bedroom wall as a kid.

Knowing you,this is more like it

blondelady_jaguar.jpg

I was 24 (1988) when I bought a (to me) beautiful 1981 light metallic blue XJ6 4.2i with cream leather, chrome wheels and arches. I thought it was fantastic until I found out why it had chrome arches (discovered when the rust no longer retained the self tappers holding them on). The seats were only leather faced. The heater wouldnt switch from the hotter than the surface of the sun setting (in the middle of one of the best summers that I can remember). The front passenger window wouldnt operate "just a fuse" according to the guy selling it. Funny, probably the only piece of 2x4 wood I've ever come across that required a fuse. I removed the wood and miraculously the window went down! wouldnt go up though :dk:.
The final straw was the sub 10mpg I was getting (the fact that it blew at least 1 injector pipe off every couple of miles probably didnt help).
Well I was 24 and it did a lot to increase the gradient of my learning curve so shouldnt complain really.
I paid 500 quid for it and sold it after 6 months for 1000. Never saw the guy that bought it from me again (thankfully).
Strange thing is I'd buy another tomorrow (nostalgia and rose coloured glasses are definitely a wonderful thing). Although this time I would be armed with 25 years of experience (and a magnet) :thumb:.

I love old Jags and always have done since i was a nipper - still love the MK2, however, i now seem to be growing more fond of the 420 (not the G). I also think the Series 1, 2 and 3 are great cars.

I bought a Series 3 Sovereign for £400 about 10 years ago and it too had the usual Jaguar niggles that you get, petrol tanks failing to cross over on the fast lane of the motorway, heater blowing hot and cold when it felt like it and i averaged around 12 mpg around town so a bit better than yours Fizzer! It also smelt damp inside and the smell would then linger onto my clothes much to annoyance of my wife (then girlfriend who hated getting into it and named it Christine). Sold it on eBay for £310.00. Absolutely loved it and would i have another......yep, like a shot.

I'm also a fan of older Jags. My first ride in one was in the early 1960's when a school pal's Dad bought a Mark 10. Compared to other tin-box stuff around at the time, it seemed huge and very impressive.

Later in the '60's and '70's I had the chance to ride in a few XJ6's, which again I thought were wonderful.

The one which really got to me though was the XJS V12. By now I was old enough to drive and had a chance to do an Edinburgh - Southampton trip in one these amazing cars. Compared to my own 1.6 Cavalier, the XJS was just so quiet, fast and refined it epitomised all the 'magic carpet' type cliches used in motoring magazine tests of the time. Fuel consumption was horrendous, but since the owner was on his way to look at a yacht, I guess that circa 10 mpg wasn't a consideration.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom