For those Vulcan Enthusiasts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chattonmill

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E55 AMG
Was just checking the progress on My Landy rebuild and another rebuilt Machine passed by......

DSC_02371.jpg

I am led to believe quite rare!

What a chance encounter! :)

It looks more like a giant moth.

beautiful planes ..

no so such about the psycheadelic paintwork though

What's that flying with it? Eurofighter / Typhoon?

I saw the pair of them at the Bournemouth air show on 22nd Aug. I've never heard a sound like it. Those things moving at full chat with the afterburners on. Beats the hell out the sound of my 320 V6 (and mate Phil's 6.2L V8 come to think of it)

It flew over me last Saturday when it left Bruntingthorpe.

Fantastic Machine!

I am led to believe quite rare!

You bet - it's in a club of one, and no possibility of that ever increasing.

What's that flying with it? Eurofighter / Typhoon?

Quite right - one of Coningsby's finest I believe.

Interestingly, the chief display pilot on the Vulcan (and likely to have been flying in your photo) is the same chap who flew the inaugural bombing run on Stanley Airport in 1982.

A nice spot Sir! I'm still looking upwards on occasions around here for a passing glimpse, as yet to no avail...

Here are some more vulcan pics over lake Windermere - enjoy. :)

Vulcan-9.jpg

Vulcan-8.jpg

Vulcan-7.jpg

Vulcan-6.jpg

Vulcan-3.jpg

Vulcan-1.jpg

Last edited:
Interestingly, the chief display pilot on the Vulcan (and likely to have been flying in your photo) is the same chap who flew the inaugural bombing run on Stanley Airport in 1982.

QUOTE]

I seem to remember a joke at the time regarding Port Stanley airstrip and Mr Spock's mother.

Can't quite recall it now.......:devil:

Thats not an "England" flag below the Union Flag, it's so that if the plane gets lost, you know where to return it home. :thumb:

Those things moving at full chat with the afterburners on. Beats the hell out the sound of my 320 V6 (and mate Phil's 6.2L V8 come to think of it)

Many moons ago the Biggin Hill Airshow would feature a "mock" scramble by 3 Vulcans - 4 minute warning style (I know, I'm showing my age here. I'm talking 1960's!). I used to watch the take-off on TV then walk out my front door to watch them go overhead - the noise of 12 engines on full belt was spine tingling - I could hear them coming well before I coud see them! Awesome aircraft. Important that we keep it flying - too many great aircraft have disappeared from the skies (Typhoon (original), Mosquito, TSR2, Concorde - the list goes on).

I seem to remember a joke at the time regarding Port Stanley airstrip and Mr Spock's mother.

Can't quite recall it now.......:devil:

Amanda Grayson? Go on - how does it go?!!

Thats not an "England" flag below the Union Flag, it's so that if the plane gets lost, you know where to return it home. :thumb:

It's the City of Lincoln crest - so you send it back to Waddington!!

Last edited:
You can't keep a good plane down!

While on the subject of V bombers here's a video of an "unauthorised takeoff" of a Victor while doing a rather enthusiastic demo taxiing run this year. Apparently the flight engineer froze momentarily and coupled with a 30mph+ cross wind --------see the result for yourself.[YOUTUBE]n3HaeYVlBw8[/YOUTUBE]

QUOTE]

Noooo, not suitable for this forum! but it involved something happening to both of them by Vulcans!:ban:

As a toddler I lived just a couple of miles from the Woodford development base for the Vulcan. On the flight path.....
We had a couple of fir trees in the garden and I'm sure this huge delta winged monster would brush the top of them:crazy:
The first and only time I have been terrified!:D:eek:
I've been driven by many famous racing drivers and even got married(!) and nothing comes close to the fear I felt a few feet under that beast!:crazy:

It's the City of Lincoln crest - so you send it back to Waddington!!

I think you might mean Scampton.

As a student I worked for a builder in the holidays. One of the jobs was reroofing Hackthorne Hall. This tall building just happened to be a hundred metres or so south of the landing path into RAF Scampton.

The Vulcans would regularly pass just feet over the tops of the trees. A few seconds later the slipstream vortex would then send a mini hurricane blast ripping the top limbs from them.

One day I was working on the very top of the roof, some 70 feet up. A Vulcan somehow had drifted too far south and was now headed in my direction. The sky went black as it flew just feet over the top of me. I quickly grabbed hold of the apex lead flashing as the noise was so intense I started to lose my sense of balance. A rush of air followed, but fortunately the pass had not been close enough to blow me off the roof.

Near misses were not uncommon. One night a pilot discoverd he was coming in too low and put the afterburners on and cracked windows in houses in Hackthorne's main street!

Last edited:
In first pix - why does the vulcan appear to have camoflauge on its underneath - surely only the top shld be painted like that? I thought the undersides wld be painted sky blue.

Few over my house recently, beautiful sight. Even gave us the 'wing wave'! :)

Underside was an even light grey, was low enough to be sure.

Sp!ke those pics look superimposed....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom