Ford Focus Side Indicators not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dokalj

MB Enthusiast
Hi all,

My friend's side indicators (wing) are not working, all the bulbs work around the car and the bulbs in the side indicators have not blown.

Any suggestions to sorting out the problem.

Jdokal

So are we just talking about the wing mounted repeaters not working? So do the main indicators work? Have you had any work done on the front wheels/hubs/suspension recently? Maybe they disconnected the wiring when removing the wheel arch liners. What year is the car?

2000 (w-reg)

Im not sure if my mate has had any work done which involves removing the arches he has had work done on ABS etc...

Only the two repeaters on the side wings dont work, front and rears work fine.

Jdokal

if the fuses look fine and the bulbs also look good, then pull the lense out and ensure that the electric block is actually connected to the rear of the bulb holder. they may have fallen or been pulled out.....

Hi,

Who to trust? Alperton Ford say the bulbs are double and Hayes Ford say they are single.

I have not seen the vehicle yet...I will see it tomorrow.

Jdokal

side indicator bulbs are pretty standard from experience.... i'd go to hellfrauds and buy some and fit them. its only £4.... they could just be both duff.

side indicator bulbs are pretty standard from experience.... i'd go to hellfrauds and buy some and fit them. its only £4.... they could just be both duff.

ok, cheers...I will inform my mate tomorrow.

Jdokal

Had a look on the Ford TIS system for you.
Supplies are shared by the front indicators so if these work then flasher unit, switches and fuses are OK.
Earth connections are shared with other lights so will be OK if there are no other faults. Either way, the two earths are seperate so you wouldn't expect to see them both faulty (normally).
Locate the plugs at the back of the lamps. If they ARE connected then remove them and insert the probes from a multimeter on DC 12v to check for a supply when the hazards are on. If no voltage then switch off hazards and use the meter in continuity mode to identify which of the terminals are at ground level. Once this is determined, switch hazards ON and connect meter (DC12v) red lead to the +ve terminal and the black to a good earth to determine if there is a supply.

I suppose the easiest thing to do first is to do a continuity check of the bulbs, they could both be blown by coincidence.

As I said earlier though, my money is on someone forgetting to reconnect them after doing other work. This is the difference between mechanics and technicians!

Had a look on the Ford TIS system for you.
Supplies are shared by the front indicators so if these work then flasher unit, switches and fuses are OK.
Earth connections are shared with other lights so will be OK if there are no other faults. Either way, the two earths are seperate so you wouldn't expect to see them both faulty (normally).
Locate the plugs at the back of the lamps. If they ARE connected then remove them and insert the probes from a multimeter on DC 12v to check for a supply when the hazards are on. If no voltage then switch off hazards and use the meter in continuity mode to identify which of the terminals are at ground level. Once this is determined, switch hazards ON and connect meter (DC12v) red lead to the +ve terminal and the black to a good earth to determine if there is a supply.

I suppose the easiest thing to do first is to do a continuity check of the bulbs, they could both be blown by coincidence.

As I said earlier though, my money is on someone forgetting to reconnect them after doing other work. This is the difference between mechanics and technicians!

Thanks Merc Owner 2b,

I will let my mate know, also though are the bulbs double filament or single then?

Jdokal

Thanks Merc Owner 2b,

I will let my mate know, also though are the bulbs double filament or single then?

Jdokal
Can't tell from the info I have but I'd be surprised if they were double. I'd go to Halfords. They have all the lamp catalogues and it's a fairly popular car.

Fairly sure they are 5 Watt T10 Wedgebase. Type 501. One per light unit.

Last edited:
Can't tell from the info I have but I'd be surprised if they were double. I'd go to Halfords. They have all the lamp catalogues and it's a fairly popular car.

Fairly sure they are 5 Watt T10 Wedgebase. Type 501. One per light unit.

Hi Merc Owner 2B,

Thats great, thank you very much.

Jdokal

Hi Merc Owner 2B,

Sorry my mate is coming on Sunday now, we didn't think it was right to try the options in the rain. It was also around 4, so lack of light.

Thanks for asking though.

Jdokal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom