Foreign Co Win £1.6m Govenrment Growth Fund

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ashadam

Car
CDI220 AMG Sport Plus Saloon Arrived 6th March 2013 Still Happy!
I am sure someone will enlighten me but why would a foreign owned company qualify for this and 20 jobs would this money not been better off spent elsewhere?
Aston Martin to build Rapide S in UK - Telegraph
I mean what future has Aston Martin really got do people still buy their cars, for me just seems a waste.

The jobs are in Britain, who cares who owns the company that owns them? Admittedly they only make about 4-5000 cars a year but a fair number are exported?

It's a bit rubbish, headlines in a national paper for twenty new jobs...only
2 998 000 more needed now...:doh:

The jobs are in Britain, who cares who owns the company that owns them? Admittedly they only make about 4-5000 cars a year but a fair number are exported?

It's a bit rubbish, headlines in a national paper for twenty new jobs...only
2 998 000 more needed now...:doh:
Exactly as most are exported we are not getting any taxes anyway for me it just seems like more money down the drain.

Polite warning: One mention of political parties in this thread and it will be closed quicker than a Beef factory producing Horse Meat.

Exactly as most are exported we are not getting any taxes anyway for me it just seems like more money down the drain.

I bet it doesn't feel like wasted money to twenty lucky families...

It creates 20 new jobs and secures 70 existing ones. That's key, 90 jobs that will remain rather than 90 more out of work.

At just over £17k per job that would seem to be a reasonable spend on the part of HMG. I guess it would cost more than that in lost tax and benefits paid.

Who owns the company is neither here nor there - the RGF money is bid for and spent on the premise of maintaining and stimulating growth in the UK.

I am sure someone will enlighten me but why would a foreign owned company qualify for this and 20 jobs would this money not been better off spent elsewhere?

It's not a new thing. It has been going on for years. Eg. Nissan ... or Delorean (gulp).

Polite warning: One mention of political parties in this thread and it will be closed quicker than a Beef factory producing Horse Meat.

I think all Politicians are brilliant, honest, trustworthy, sensible, selfless, dynamic, sincere, beacons of hope in an otherwise doomed world.

Well blow me down, I've just seen a pig fly past the window :D

I don't follow your reasoning. Do these workers not pay tax and do Aston Martin not pay either?

AM are a UK company, their holding company aren't...but that applies to many businesses, and likewise vice-verse.

Have you heard about the " balance of payments" and an economy's essential need to export?:doh:

Have you heard about the " balance of payments" and an economy's essential need to export?:doh:

Unfortunately neither has this, or the recently passed, government. Balance of payments used to be a cornerstone of government policy, it seems to have become unfashionable even to think about it over the past ten years or so. Maybe that's why we're in the clag we're in, and before anyone offers invisible earnings as a palliative, remember that the EC is doing its best to put further spanners in the works of UK banks, as if they don't do it well enough themselves.

Please note that this is not party political since it seems reasonable to hold all political parties in equal contempt.

Aston Martin first went bust in 1924 and they have been doing so on fairly regular basis ever since? :eek: Its just a small example of what many car manufacturers do all the time. Hawk the prospect of employment round Europe in return for a large government subsidy to finance their plant for a new production line. :devil: Whereas I can see a raison d'etre behind a subsidy of £8.6 million for a plant that's scheduled to make half a million cars a year and create/maintain 3,000 jobs in the next couple of years at Nissan I'm not so sure about creating/maintaining 70 jobs for £1.6 million in a company who seem to constantly lurch from one financial crisis to the next. :confused: Lets hope the government financial wizards have done their sums correctly and spent our money wisely!:p

I don't know if the government should provide funding for AML... or to anyone else... but what has this got to do with exports and shareholding?

Aston Martin first went bust in 1924 and they have been doing so on fairly regular basis ever since? :eek: Its just a small example of what many car manufacturers do all the time. Hawk the prospect of employment round Europe in return for a large government subsidy to finance their plant for a new production line. :devil: Whereas I can see a raison d'etre behind a subsidy of £8.6 million for a plant that's scheduled to make half a million cars a year and create/maintain 3,000 jobs in the next couple of years at Nissan I'm not so sure about creating/maintaining 70 jobs for £1.6 million in a company who seem to constantly lurch from one financial crisis to the next. :confused: Lets hope the government financial wizards have done their sums correctly and spent our money wisely!:p

Like the Rail Franchise fiasco!

It's a better way of improving the unemployment situation than appointing thousands of public sector jobs that produce nothing at all.

Assuming the government actually has any interest in reducing unemployment...

How much did they spend on rescuing the jobs of senior bankers, compared to these little schemes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom