Formula One 2017 - General Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well whatever. You have one of the worlds best drivers sitting there in a flaming bomb. Can't see him sticking round for next year Mr. TR if you can't deliver a car to drive.

Well whatever. You have one of the worlds best drivers sitting there in a flaming bomb. Can't see him sticking round for next year Mr. TR if you can't deliver a car to drive.

He's surely too young to be too big for his boots. He'll stick around unless he has other options.

as for betting on Honda to come good,I completely understand it is Saturday after noon and you have hit the wine early.

Oddly they seem to have been a bit more competitive late on in the season.

There's a lurking grim feeling in my gut that next year that fate will taunt FA who will be left seeing the Honda engine start to come good while he struggles with a McLaren Renault.

The TR move to Honda has to be about RB wanting the option of switching from Renault. McLaren went with Honda as the only engine supplier without a works team. I think RB have the same incentive. So they are hedging their strategy.

There was a story a few days ago about Mercedes giving Lotus a better engine mode at Spa in 2015 in order to boost their position to disadvantage Ferrari. The underlying message is that any team that is a customer of a successful works team is not going to be allowed to get anywhere near the works team.

Oddly they seem to have been a bit more competitive late on in the season.

There's a lurking grim feeling in my gut that next year that fate will taunt FA who will be left seeing the Honda engine start to come good while he struggles with a McLaren Renault.

The TR move to Honda has to be about RB wanting the option of switching from Renault. McLaren went with Honda as the only engine supplier without a works team. I think RB have the same incentive. So they are hedging their strategy.

There was a story a few days ago about Mercedes giving Lotus a better engine mode at Spa in 2015 in order to boost their position to disadvantage Ferrari. The underlying message is that any team that is a customer of a successful works team is not going to be allowed to get anywhere near the works team.

I think the McHonda divorce will make Honda very determined to succeed. However, can't blame McLaren for wanting shut. I think they've been patient enough.

There is a knowing nod to Honda within F1. Do not be surprised (as Dryce says) to see then turn a corner (no pun intended). Towards the end of the season they suffered with "mechanical" failures that 'may' now have be behind them as they understand which suppliers were delivering the failing components. The money being the fact that they do not have a bad engine, they did have some bad parts in that engine. Fernando could (once again) be watching his old partner steam off over the horizon and onto the podium. Honda could have pulled out at any point last season, it is not in their DNA to enjoy failure and more so, public ridicule. They didn't pull out but stuck with it. WHY? They want the last laugh and are determined to show that they have the technology and know how to put them at the top of their chosen sport.

Their apparent lack of straight line speed? may not just be Honda turning the wick down in an attempt to stop component failure. What we do not know is just quick the McHonda would have been in a straight line (as they claimed) with a fully opened up engine in the back. We shall never know. Their claims to have the 'best chassis' worked against them when it came to negotiating a new engine deal with Mercedes, who caught a cold, not wanting to have the 'best chassis' with the 'best engine' not being a Mercedes.

The irony in all this is that Honda pulling out of F1 caused this whole chain effect. Their withdrawal gave MB the opportunity to set up the works team and so on and so forth.

Mercedes/McLaren partnership was nice and strong up until that point

Well Honda did not pull out of F1 because they were winning,it is a puzzle just why they have not been able to design a engine that was at least half competitive,the same can be said about Renault ,stand up arguments being held there,I think the new engine rules that have been put forward are a step in the right direction, a v6 turbo will let a number of engine makers back into the fray,at the moment F1 is getting very predictable.

Hamilton will start from the pit lane as apposed to the back of the grid as the car is taken out of Parc Ferme to repair the damage caused from the crash

Coming back to the Hamilton crash in Q1 ...

Did his car bottom out in the corner causing the instability ?

There were a huge amount of sparks from the underside prior to the incident.

Coming back to the Hamilton crash in Q1 ...

Did his car bottom out in the corner causing the instability ?

There were a huge amount of sparks from the underside prior to the incident.

Isn't this one of the theories which is supposed to have caused Senna's fatal accident? That he cornered too hard too soon after a safety car?

Will LH start on the SS tyres and make an early stop to pop on the Ultras for a two-stopper ?

Should be a good race for the viewer

The Channel 4 guys commented that it started at the same time as a gear change mid corner which may have altered the cars attitude/ride height - combine that with softer tyres and voila!

The irony in all this is that Honda pulling out of F1 caused this whole chain effect. Their withdrawal gave MB the opportunity to set up the works team and so on and so forth.

Mercedes/McLaren partnership was nice and strong up until that point

Good point.

I think there is a lesson for those studing politics and history or business strategy in this - how one decision can then cause a number of consequential decisions amongst a group of ineracting parties to tip a balance of power.

Will LH start on the SS tyres and make an early stop to pop on the Ultras for a two-stopper ?

Should be a good race for the viewer

Tyre choice was SS, Soft, Medium

Good race so far, plenty of overtaking

If you didn't watch it on Sky or missed Ted's Notebook, this is why you shouldn't show pics on your phone during a live feed...just incase a 'mate' messages you :D

Wow, what a message on team radio from P Masser Jnr to his dad. :)

Got something in my eye.

Well that was one of the more interesting F1 races this season,the one thing that this race rammed home is we only have 3 teams capable of winning a F1 race,that has to be bad news for F1,the fact that by the 11th lap Hamilton was making chumps out of good drivers proves that those lesser cars have no chance,you can well see why they want to bring in a new engine era,to allow maybe Cosworth and maybe a few american engine makers to compete and stop all this Honda ,Renault you get what you are given attitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom