French doors = bird killers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
Two dead birds at the base of our French doors (there's a window at the opposite end of that room). I presume they failed to see the glass.

What's the solution - hang something off the frame to show it's not a thoroughfare?

P1080544.JPG

Is there clear visibility right the way through to the front windows, if so the birds don't realise there is glass there so fly into it?

We had a pigeon hit our bedroom window. Such a bang! As the curtains were drawn I assume they see a reflection of the sky!

Get an air rifle and shot the buggers before they hit the glass, that should stop them making such a mess of your cleaned glass :devil:

That was the type of advise you were looking for wasn't it :D

Yes there's clear visibility through - I can try pulling the curtains when we're at work, though from the above it doesn't guarantee success. I wonder if something reflective needs to hang down to startle the birds away.

I found this............

British Garden Birds - Windows

It says...
A common solution, albeit one that has mixed results, to prevent the birds from flying into the window is to affix a silhouette of a bird of prey to the inside of the glass, the intention being to frighten the bird away before it flies into the window. You can either make these silhouettes yourself or buy them from some shops, such as RSPB Gift Shops, bird food suppliers and some garden centres.
An alternative deterrent is to hang a sun catcher, dream catcher - or something else that glistens in the sunlight - in your window; these seem to be quite successful and are less displeasing to the eye than silhouettes.
Some people have successfully deterred birds from flying into their windows by hanging several lengths of string outside from the top of the window.

Decent pastry and a nice earthy stock.

... only joking ...

My great uncle (who was a keen ornithologist) ended up putting net curtain in the windows on one side of his conservatory. Until then they were getting several dead birds a week.

Decent pastry and a nice earthy stock.

... only joking ...

A Robin and a Sparrow wouldn't offer much of a meal though. We've had a couple of wood pigeons fly into our doors and die, but somehow the thought of cooking one didn't appeal.

They make a heck of a bang.

A Robin and a Sparrow wouldn't offer much of a meal though. We've had a couple of wood pigeons fly into our doors and die, but somehow the thought of cooking one didn't appeal.

Nowt wrong with a bit of Pidgeon pie lad, puts hairs on your chest. ;)

I think it may be something to do with them seeing the reflection of your garden in the window when the lighting conditions are just so. They think your garden is longer than it is.

Similarly, we get swans crashing onto Worcester bridge fairly regularly, especially when the road is wet, and the sun pops out. Presumably they think it's part of the river.

In my old house, I was always saddened to see the dusty silhouette of a bird on the window. Doesn't happen now, no patio doors.

Two dead birds at the base of our French doors (there's a window at the opposite end of that room). I presume they failed to see the glass.

What's the solution - hang something off the frame to show it's not a thoroughfare?

Don't you have women with good eyesight where you live? :bannana::bannana::bannana:

P1080544.JPG

They're not dead, they are just resting :D

Saves on cat food...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom