French Googyear Lazy Workers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
France's Goodyear Workers 'Too Lazy To Save'

Last Updated 15:26 20/02/2013
An American tycoon has ruled out the rescue of the Goodyear tyre factory in France because he thinks its workers are "too lazy" to make the business viable.

French minister Arnaud Montebourg had hoped Maurice M Taylor Jr, the president of the American Titan group, would step in to keep the plant in the north of the country going.

But in a letter sent earlier this month to Mr Montebourg, the American said a very emphatic "non".

"I and Titan have a 40-year history of buying closed factories and companies, losing millions of dollars and turning them around to create a good business paying good wages," he wrote.

"Goodyear tried for more than four years to save part of the Amiens jobs that are some of the highest paid around but the French unions and French government did nothing but talk.

"I have visited that factory a couple of times. The French workforce gets paid high wages but works only three hours. They get one hour for breaks and lunch, talk for three and work for three. I told this to the French union workers to their faces. They told me that's the French way!

"You are a politician so you don't want to rock the boat. The Chinese are shipping tyres into France - really all over Europe - and yet you do nothing. The Chinese government subsidises all the tyre companies. In five years, Michelin won't be able to produce tyres in France.

"Sir, your letter states that you want Titan to start a dialogue. How stupid do you think we are? Titan is the one with the money and the talent to produce tyres. What does the crazy union have? It has the French government.

"The French farmer wants cheap tyres. He does not care if the tyres are from China or India and these governments are subsidising them. Your government doesn't care either: "We're French!"

Goodyear announced last month it is to close its main French plant and cut its workforce in the country by almost 40%, as car demand falls and labour disputes increase.

Plus ça change (plus c'est la même chose).

As a worker in and around the British motor industry since 1966 I have watched it all happen here, and now it's going to happen in France. Once upon a time a Citroen was a desirable car, we had a Light 15 when I was in infant's school, and a Peugeot was de rigeur in Africa, my wife's family would have nothing else when they were living in Kenya. Now look at what has happened to those two makes, no innovation, quality falling away and orders and workforce shrinking.

It seems now that we can't do cheap anything in Europe for reasons expounded in the letter quoted by the OP, and if we lose the ability to innovate all will not go well for the future. Even Japan has just posted its biggest ever periodic trade deficit, so the malaise is spreading.

Give it a bit, and we'll be taxing imported tyres from China to the point that it costs as much to produce them here ;)

I guess I was pleasantly surprised at the honesty in the letter. Given the many debates on here about "budget" tyres V brand name tyres this will have an impact on that argument as Europe continues to surrender manufacturing capability to cheaper/budget brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom