French on strike again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Headhurts

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes GLC
Well I am off to France travelling Calais to Lassicourt which is a round trip of around 500 miles on Saturday.

I have a new Mercedes E350 which has only done around 600 miles so far and no proper trips but averaging 37 mpg according to onboard read out.

I would expect this to rise a fair bit when on a run particularly on the French Auto routes.

I am taking a 20 litre Jerry can of diesel with me just in case.

I think a single tank of fuel should get me there and back (hopefully).

I have read these cars can return really good mpg has any forum members used theirs on a good run?

Any thoughts? Looking for reassurance I guess.

The W212 has an 80 litre tank, which equates to approximately 17.6 gallons, therefore averaging 37mpg you should be able to manage nearly 650 miles.

Even at 30mpg it should still do over 500 miles so I think you'll be relatively comfy, and there's every probability that some fuel will be available somewhere along the way on your trip.

Just take your time and enjoy the run. :)

The W212 has an 80 litre tank, which equates to approximately 17.6 gallons, therefore averaging 37mpg you should be able to manage nearly 650 miles.

Even at 30mpg it should still do over 500 miles so I think you'll be relatively comfy, and there's every probability that some fuel will be available somewhere along the way on your trip.

Just take your time and enjoy the run. :)

I'm pretty sure the eclass fuel tank is closer to 60l than 80l. Even when my range estimate has given up, I can only get 55l in my tank. IIRC, there was an expanded tank option, so maybe you have this on yours.

Either way, with 20l extra in cans, and the fact that given the better roads, less traffic etc. the OP will see in France they should probably average about 40mpg and so should have plenty of leeway for a 500 mile round trip.

cheers, Steve

looking at 90p per litre in france on Diesel (based on 1.31 Euro's to the pound) It would prob worth filling up in france.
Fuel-prices-europe.info - Current Fuel Prices in Europe

Apparently 40% of fuel stations are closed and most limiting to 20 euros of fuel so my aim is to be self sufficient but of course I will fill up if possible but from speaking to my friend in Lassicourt there is very little fuel getting to the pumps.

No idea to be honest I thought it was 60 litres as per my previous E300.
All V6- and V8-engined W/S212 get the 80-litre tank as standard, with it being an option on smaller engines.
Excuse my ignorance but where would this be listed?
It's in the "Capacities" section of the Owner's Manual (from memory).

C207 V8 has a 60 liter tank, I assume the smaller sized vehicle would not allow a larger tank to be installed.
I hope the strike is done and dusted for Le Mans, I dont fancy driving down at 50mph to ensure a return trip is possible on one tank!!!!!

looking at 90p per litre in france on Diesel (based on 1.31 Euro's to the pound) It would prob worth filling up in france.

The clue was in the title of the thread. ;)

...doh!

But seriously, please spare a thought for us C350e drivers with our 50l petrol tanks. That's all we get because we have a large battery that weighs about 200kg. Okay, do we get about 15 miles from that battery but that equates to no more than about 2-3l of fuel.

I'll be joining the fray from a ferry on Tuesday morning and hoping to get at least one fill-up on my way to Italy while economising on energy consumption as described in one of the C350e threads. (As well as pumping up the tyres to the highest acceptable pressure and driving at 50-55mph like the good old days we had when we had something similar in this country in the 1970s.)

BTW, Brittany Ferries will allow a max of 5l of diesel in a proper container but it's a no-no when it comes to the more volatile petrol. But then I'm sort of hoping that petrol might be a bit easier to get. Ho-Hum...

The French are on strike?

Is it the British summer holidays already? :rolleyes:

Any thoughts? Looking for reassurance I guess.
I think you'll do it fairly comfortably on a tank with at least 10-litres to spare as long as you don't cane it. Keep it on cruise on the AutoRoute at around 70 - 75mph and you should get a real 40mpg. With a 20-litre jerry on board too, the biggest risk will be that someone mugs you for it :eek:

If you think you're likely to run low, there's always the option of routing yourself through Belgium on the way back - it'll take longer because it's further, but at least you'll be able to fill up again.

C207 V8 has a 60 liter tank, I assume the smaller sized vehicle would not allow a larger tank to be installed.

I thought the coupe version of the 212 was based on the 204 chassis?

Hence no room for the bigger fuel tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom