French Trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C43AMG

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ) Sold, 2014 Brabus Smart ( 451 Coupe ) Mapped 130bhp
Got back from France last Saturday great trip.

Managed to get on the wide track carriage on the way out on my return they wanted to put me in the narrow track carriage, which looked horrendous. What I didn't realise is they are double decker's :eek: When it was my turn I explained about the wheels getting damaged and that I had been put in the wrong lane and he very kindly directed me to the single carriage, what a very nice man.

Going to see friends near Toulouse, went via Paris not a problem drove until around 4.0pm found a great B&B Chateau. Yes a Chateau, found out from the owner if you have more than five bedroom it becomes a Hotel, he didn't want all the hassle that goes with a hotel.

Got to our friends at lunchtime the next day. I had forgotten what a great Country France is and there roads, what a pleasure to drive, empty and with the Toll Tag made it even more pleasurable.

Spent sixteen days touring around France one of the highlights was the Millau Bridge which crosses the Valley of the River Tarn,it is the tallest bridge in the world. We went to the town of Millau to have some lunch before we drove over it, from underneath you certainly appreciate how high it is. Driving over it is amazing we had a very clear blue sky so know driving through the clouds. Mr Foster did a great job with a little help from a French engineer.

We did just under 3,000 miles and the CL did not miss a beat ( Thanks Olly ) We did a lot of miles on there D Roads as I mentioned a joy, when you think they must have over twice as many miles of road than us and we did not come across one pothole anywhere, even on there single track roads.

The only thing I can criticise the French driving for is tail gaiting when overtaking or just following, that's the way they drive :(

Must do it again. Italy next time I think.

Sounds like you had a great time Peter. Really must do a European road trip myself at some point :cool:

The only thing I can criticise the French driving for is tail gaiting when overtaking or just following, that's the way they drive :(

Must do it again. Italy next time I think.

You'll come back from Italy with a bigger list of criticisms!

Thanks for the reminder of a great trip we had a few years ago, Peter. We stopped to ask a tour guide in one of the car parks under the Millau bridge, which we'd arrived at from the bridge itself via Roquefort, for directions to Avignon. When he found out we were looking to fill a few nights, he recommended Arles as a better choice, which is a Roman influenced town, complete with amphitheatre, which was a treat. Fantastic weather, beautiful scenery and roads, with a top down V8 - what could be better?!

I must plan another trip soon - glad you enjoyed yours.

Done the South trips many times when the kids were young, down to Cap D'age etc. It's an impressive bridge at Millau and well worth a crossing. As has been said the French do tailgate on the motorways. They tend to stick on their indicator and leave it on through the whole overtaking process. Annoying at first when you're in a busy outside lane to see a car in you rear mirror with indicator flashing, getting closer and closer and you have nowhere to move. all the fun of French roads ;)

You'll come back from Italy with a bigger list of criticisms!

Yes I've driven in Italy, they are a law unto themselves :D

I've driven quite a lot in Italy, both north and south, but always in rental cars, one of which was stolen in Naples.

They certainly are a law unto themselves, but driving was good fun.

However, I would never, ever do it in my own car!!

Driving in northern Italy is nowhere near as manic as some stories would have you believe. It gets progressively madder the further south you go and by the time you get to somewhere like Palermo it's really fun :D

The worst driving I've experienced in Europe (so far) is Romania, where the height of skilful driving is demonstrated by driving at all times on the edge of destruction - even if you're on your way to church :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom