Friday evening laugh for you all - Sprinter V8.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V12

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320CDI LWB
Have mentioned this on a few threads before.

I was at the old Mercman site today and they were getting the old Sprinter recovery truck prepared for an MOT.

Hasn't been used in a very long time (since they relocated down to cornwall).

A quick 20 minutes with the CO meter and it was running well, just needs the valve stem oil seals doing.

Could do with a limited slip diff :devil:

Enjoy.

First start up :

V8 Mercedes Sprinter Recovery - 500SEL conversion - Modified AMG exhaust box. - YouTube

[YOUTUBE]4k7CBBClqKQ[/YOUTUBE]

Gentle Throttle :

V8 Mercedes Sprinter Recovery - 500SEL conversion - Modified AMG exhaust box. - YouTube

[YOUTUBE]qwlKnz_iMbw[/YOUTUBE]

Nutter Driving :

[YOUTUBE]1zxtkcuiPHQ[/YOUTUBE]

He's had quite a bit of interest from the Banger racers who want a cool truck to cart their bangers around.

Last edited:
Awesome Brabus one. This is the quickest this side of the channel then.

I've heard that the mexican police spec sprinters with the 6.0 V12 in it.

It is quite amusing when you come across courier drivers in their 311cdis every day wanting to take part in the traffic light grand prix.

When they first put it in they were toying with putting the E55 lump in.
Various technical and gearbox problems make it no where near as simple as the M117.
This was a quick and easy conversion that was done in a couple of days.

Last edited:
WOW, I wouldn't have any problems getting to breakdowns within the hour in that!

Sounds like a beast.

It almost as if the engine is angry.

Along the lines of "I used to power a beautiful SEL but now I am bolted to this pickup".

You would have no idea to look at it but what a sound.

I sometimes see lorry recovery lorries - and I don't know what they are running but they sound like incredibly meaty (diesel I think) engines.

What has that got for an exhaust ?

My 500SEL sounds nothing like that , not that I would want it to .

No centre boxes. C43 rear box which has been cut open and half the baffles removed.

It is too loud for me personally!

I have a stainless system on my 500 which is meant to be a replica of the original and is quiet enough at idle , but a bit louder under hard acceleration ( I think due to the metal being thinner ) . I'm happy with it and wouldn't want anything louder though .

I have a stainless system on my 500 which is meant to be a replica of the original and is quiet enough at idle , but a bit louder under hard acceleration ( I think due to the metal being thinner ) . I'm happy with it and wouldn't want anything louder though .

Agreed, you have an S for refinement. Sprinters are noisy old things to travel in anyway.

Sounds very much like a Corvette Chevy sound, more than a Mussie Ford, what a beasty I'd love that personally!

Sounds very much like a Corvette Chevy sound, more than a Mussie Ford, what a beasty I'd love that personally!

He has a chevy day van with a corvette engine in and that doesn't sound as meaty as this. That is a little more refined for normal driving though.

Any V8 can sound great with the right exhaust.

I bet the g wagon is really fun!
When I was in my teens my dad bought a lwb 280ge which had been converted to a 450 v8. He ran it for a week and after not exceeding 10 mpg they had the engine out and fitted a 606 NA from a 124.
My mum used to get some proper school run road rage in that thing.

They would have put a 560 in the sprinter if they had a good one at the time. So many of the 560s had weak compression on 1 or 2 cylinders.
They weren't interested in doing a full rebuild.

How did I turn out so "normal" after being carted about in so many frankenmercs?

And it's gone. Sold to a nutter in Devon...Watch out Devon!

No one we previously knew. He banger races mondeos.
I told him to take that sprinter banger racing. Its quicker and stronger than his mondeos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom