Frustration retrieving an expired UK Driving License

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gibbles

Car
c200k se
How mad is this.

Left UK to live in Turkey 16 years ago with a full UK License. It expired a few years back (3 or 4) and needed a new picture to renew so in essence being in Turkey just used the old as it's no big deal with their police ;)

Now returned to UK with a temporary "one use" passport (old one lost) lol - have no idea of my National Insurance Number and to reapply for a new license it appears I need either a passport or a NI number.

Ok so applied to HM Customs and Excise to do the deed of retrieving my NI Number some 4 weeks ago and they refused :crazy: (Not enough info supplied apparently so supplied details of previous residence and employment and another 2 weeks have passed with nothing yet from HMC&E.

At least the girlfriend can't moan about her driving up the boozer whilst I drink the beer and she's on the orange juice.

Will I ever get another license :wallbash: Identity fraud is obviously a far bigger issue than we think with these measures in place! Rightly so, nonetheless it's very frustrating.

Do HRMC dish out NI numbers? That's new to me.

yeah, that's the route these days and they wont do it online for me through lack of recent info (albeit for most people you can lodge a request for NI online)

They will not give the info out on the phone, you have to request it by snail mail to an address. I suppose they are sharing, cross referencing and logging info against multiple databases these days.

Haven't you got any old paperwork, e.g. payslips, P60's etc which may have this listed?

Haven't you got any old paperwork, e.g. payslips, P60's etc which may have this listed?

After 16 years abroad and then return - I don't.

I actually didn't think it would be such a mission. :fail

I realise it's a long shot - but maybe, just maybe, a previous employer might have their old PAYE records?

I've always wondered why, that from the day I was issued with my NINO, I have remembered it.

Now I know why:D

I realise it's a long shot - but maybe, just maybe, a previous employer might have their old PAYE records?

All my previous employers have been taken over or non-existant now. I did think of that route too thanks. Also spent the 8 years prior to leaving UK as self employed so now expecting a VAT claim to boot :eek:

Can't find old employment records, no passport, no NINO...... got to understand why UK Gov are being cautious ;)

Welcome back :)

IanA2 said:
I've always wondered why, that from the day I was issued with my NINO, I have remembered it. Now I know why:D
Me too, also remember my driver number too :)

Last edited:
My sympathies, I recently renewed my license and needless to say couldn't locate my NI number or my paper counterpart, but my passport number and photo card sufficed. However the new document took only 2 business days to arrive, although my photo (used from the passport) is so washed out it could be anybody.

Good luck sorting things out!

If you are prepared to take on the new name of Abner Kravitz, I can sort your ID out for £5k or there abouts :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom