Fuel Duty Petition on No. 10 Website‏

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Normally I wouldnt really bother with these, but with Petrol around £1.16 in my area enough is enough.

When vat was reduced to 15% in January '09 your chancellor levied an extra 2p per litre of fuel, to compensate for the loss of revenue from the vat reduction, now that vat has now gone back to 17.5% we think it only fair that you reduce the the duty again by the same amount, ie 2p per litre.

HERE

Err... there is another rise in fuel duty coming on April 1st :wallbash:

Last edited:
I pass a Shell service station on my way to work every day. This week the price of both unleaded and diesel has risen from 113.9 to 116.9 per litre - but in 1p increments over three days! Do they think people are so thick that they won't notice if they do it that way? :dk:

I notice that too.
And Tesco's in Bradford has been profiteering for some time. For the last 6 weeks they have had the dearest diesel in Bradford. Not just compared with other supermarkets, but dearer than the Esso and Shell stations.

I have trouble sitting in my car because someone always seems to have their hand in my back pocket

But think of all those poor, destitute MPs that you are saving from the workhouse!

I don't think the grave robbing b*st*rd Gordon Brown will give us any change - just the same as the gas/electric companies didn't reduce there prices until spring arrived - and only slightly then!

I really am astounded that Labour will consider putting up duty in the run up to the election. Does he just not care about winning, or does he think we're all too stupid to think about fuel duty at this time!

The 2.5p is not surprising, and I have heard that the reason some have risen recently is because there is speculation of a 2.5p increase in duty in the budget so the garages are cashing in now and then they can all say they haven't increased it at the time - like we are all too stupid to not spot that if that is indeed what they are doing.

It is nothing short of disgusting that fuel is so expensive now when oil has dropped so much from what it was. Duty aside there is clearly massive profiteering going on on the part of the fuel companies.

And don't get me started on gas and electricity!

Welcome to rip off Britain! First chance I get I'm off, along with any other law abiding tax paying citizen.

Last edited:
remember it's all about tax to pay for Britain's far too enormous and bloated public sector

Fuel is £1.22 around me now which is annoying. Considering how many miles I do it makes a big difference.

I used a Shell on the A580 east lancs and paid £1.20 for the v-power, its getting silly with price increases.

Is it me or are people driving a bit slower these days because of the cost of fuel?

It used to be just me and the HGVs do 60mph. Now with more people doing it, it's cramping my style and quite frankly getting in my way! ;)

Is it me or are people driving a bit slower these days because of the cost of fuel?

It used to be just me and the HGVs do 60mph. Now with more people doing it, it's cramping my style and quite frankly getting in my way! ;)

When the roads are busy I just tend to stick with the HGVs as they seem to maintain a constant speed rather than the other lanes seem to do 60mph > 80mph > 40mph > 60mph> etc etc which burns lots of fuel and makes me sad.

^ditto

Oh dear, this has all the makings of a cruise control thread ;)

Hence why I want Distronic so much. I'll happily sit in the smoothest lane* be it 45mph or 95mph I really hate braking on motorways.

*Without sitting aimlessly in the most empty lane...

Just received this today

When vat was reduced to 15% in January '09 your chancellor levied an extra 2p per litre of fuel, to compensate for the loss of revenue from the vat reduction, now that vat has now gone back to 17.5% we think it only fair that you reduce the the duty again by the same amount, ie 2p per litre.

Petition to: Fuel duty reduction, now VAT has increased to 17.5%, please deduct the duty which was levied when vat was reduced to 15%. | Number10.gov.uk

Government response
Your petition relates to the policy of the former Chancellor of the Exchequer. In his 2008 Pre-Budget Report the former Chancellor said “I will offset the VAT reduction, by increasing all these duties by an amount which should keep the overall cost to consumers the same this year.”

The coalition Government’s first changes to taxation were announced in the June Budget. The Budget sets out the action the Government is taking to rebalance the economy and provide the conditions for sustainable growth and deficit reduction. This involves difficult choices.

The existing rates of fuel duty and the rates applicable through to January 2011 were set and legislated for by the previous Government. Under plans the coalition Government has inherited fuel duty is scheduled to rise by one pence per litre above indexation each year thereafter until April 2014.

It is necessary to implement these increases as dealing with the budget deficit is the single greatest economic challenge this Government faces. Unavoidably, tough decisions are required, but underpinning the Government’s approach is a commitment to fairness. The Government has been clear that the burden of deficit reduction will have to be shared, but the most vulnerable in our society will be protected.

Did anyone really expect any other response?

Blast from the past. I remember the M5 during the Petrol blockages. If you did 60mph you were positively fast..

did anyone really expect any other answer???????:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom