Fuel pressure related fault codes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E270 Owner

MB Enthusiast
Car
Anything I get my hands on.
Anyone familiar with this fault ?

Low pressure test is fine engine cuts out on high pressure test

Pressure sensor test is ok and the valve control tests ok in DAS

Various fault codes
DAS >
2047-001 Rail pressure to low volume control valve
2015-001 Rail pressure to low volume control valve
2051-001 Rail pressure to low pressure control valve
2019-001 Rail pressure to low pressure control valve

EOBD II >
P2056 Injection pump fuel metering control B malfunction (cam/rotor/injector)
P2051 Injection pump fuel metering control A malfunction (cam/rotor/injector)

I'm wondering if there's a faulty injector causing the problem.

Last edited:
Just to add to this on going problem.

Under load the car cuts out on the motorway over 80mph @ 2700rpm's or when driving on 50% throttle urban driving.

If stationary it will rev to 4000 rpm and not cut out, but does cut out under high pressure test in DAS.

Here's a screen shot shows some values not quite right.

I would appreciate any DAS experts thoughts please
I don't want to get into a parts buying frenzy as it looks like a chain reaction effect from one part maybe ? :)

I hear the pub calling...................

Last edited:
You need to get it back on star & follow the guided tests within the Cdi control unit.
In the main screen within the Cdi control unit, 2/3rds down there is a full list of tests,
It looks fuel related.
I would concentrate on high pressure tests, injectors. Quantity control valve.

You need to get it back on star & follow the guided tests within the Cdi control unit.
In the main screen within the Cdi control unit, 2/3rds down there is a full list of tests,
It looks fuel related.
I would concentrate on high pressure tests, injectors. Quantity control valve.

I have done the tests and all control valves pass and the injector leak off test is ok too.

The car stalls on high pressure testing towards the end of the DAS procedure.

And only when driven does the engine cut out.

Thanks for your help.

:)

I have done the tests and all control valves pass and the injector leak off test is ok too.

The car stalls on high pressure testing towards the end of the DAS procedure.

And only when driven does the engine cut out.

Thanks for your help.

What are the suggestions by star after pressure test fail?

There must be leak somewhere, of trouble delivering enough fuel (easy to say, huh? :eek: ). Quantity valve is common reason like said, regulator valve leak, hope not hp-pump. Is the fuel filter changed when?

I would say either the fuel filter is blocked or the HP pump is faulty.

What are the suggestions by star after pressure test fail?

There must be leak somewhere, of trouble delivering enough fuel (easy to say, huh? :eek: ). Quantity valve is common reason like said, regulator valve leak, hope not hp-pump. Is the fuel filter changed when?

Fuel filter changed.
Injectors tested ok.
DAS checks pressure valves ok
No suggestions from DAS after engine cuts out during HP test, it returns to the HP start test screen with a communication error.

I suspect the HP pump but you can bet I will put a new one on and the problem will still be there.

I want to nail the problem and not resort to guess work, which is not the way to fault find, it can run into thousands that way.

Last edited:
Still not fixed the fuel pressure fault as its developed lots more problems since then.

Stuck Turbo vnt (stripped & cleaned)
2 x Blocked cats (de-catted)
2 x Blocked rear exhausts (replaced)
Inlet manifold flap modification (5x m12x1.75 bolts)
3 x Charge pressure system boost pipes replaced (worn retaining lugs)

So the cars still undergoing work and the cost is mounting............

Lucky the customer is a mate or it would have been off to the scrap yard .......
he has no patience and my "mates rates" (beer tokens) is just keeping the car from entering the crusher.

Last edited:
After fixing the low fuel pressure problem................faulty injector (ECP brand new) opening and dumping at full flow.

I am now the proud owner of this money pit after "my mate" convinced me to buy it off of him and sell him a Punto Grande JTD I had just finished rebuilding and re-mapping :)

So now I have the correct fuel pressure I can plant the throttle to the floor without the engine cutting out.....................ermmm not quite.

Now I have fault codes without EML coming on:

2349-002
0105-001

So my first point of checking is the MAF sensor, but I think I can hear an air leak up the front on pulling away..............so more fun on the way and just for you some MB procedure for the codes :)

Green done
Red to do

Testing operations:
P 0105-001:
- Check line routing and assignment of B28/1 (p1 sensor at air cleaner) as per wiring diagram
- Test B5/1 boost pressure sensor as per guided test in DAS for proper operation and plausibility
(if necessary, apply pressure to sensor with hand pump and check value in DAS)
- Perform DAS tests and print out ACTUAL values "boost pressure control" and "turbocharger actuation",
and compare fault freeze frame data (see Complaint).

P 2349-002:
- Perform DAS tests and print out ACTUAL values "boost pressure control" and "turbocharger actuation",
and compare fault freeze frame data (see Complaint).

If no faults are found, replace turbocharger (observe Parts ordering note).

REPAIR INFORMATION for OM647 up to production date 01.03.2004:
Note the addition to AR09.40-P-6020-12T and AR09.40-P-6020T on changing the heat shield behind the turbocharger.

NOTE: When handling the turbocharger, the adjusting mechanism (linkage and/or worm drive in electronic actuator) must not be damaged.

Symptoms
Symptom
Power generation / Engine management / Engine performance / Goes into limp-home mode
Power generation / Engine management / Engine performance / No/poor output
Power generation / Engine management / Engine performance / Poor acceleration

Control unit/fault code
Control unit Fault code Fault code description
CDI 3-Common Rail Diesel Injection3 (CDI3_UP) 0105 (001) Check component B5/1 (Charge pressure sensor). Charge pressure is too high.
CDI 3-Common Rail Diesel Injection3 (CDI3_UP) 2348 (001) Check system 'Charge pressure control'. Charge pressure is too low.
CDI 3-Common Rail Diesel Injection3 (CDI3_UP) 2349 (002) Check system 'Charge pressure control'. Charge pressure is too high.
CDI 3-Common Rail Diesel Injection3 (CDI3_UP) 2359 (001) Check charge air system. Too low boost pressure
CDI 3-Common Rail Diesel Injection3 (CDI3_UP) 2359 (002) Check charge air system. Boost pressure too high

Parts
Part number Designation Quantity Note EPC Non-EPC
A6460900180 Turbocharger 1 OM646 EU4 (codes 474+926), supersedes A6460960399 X
A6460960499 Turbocharger 1 OM646 EU3, supersedes A6460960499 X
A6470900180 Turbocharger 1 OM647, supersedes A6470960099 X
A6480960199 Turbocharger 1 OM648 EU4 (codes 474+926) X
A6480960299 Turbocharger 1 OM648, EU3
Diagnostics Engineer40022.4227631134

Any advice welcomed...........

Last edited:
Low fuel pressure problems finally solved after high speed testing on rolling road at WOT.

A blocked low pressure fuel pump filter.

Access to the filter >
Remove the sender units and pump from fuel tank.
Unclip pipes and wiring from pump housing
Remove the fuel sender unit from housing
Unclip the 3 pump retaining straps
Remove pump from housing at 45' angle bending retaining strap carefully.
Clean the filter on the bottom of the pump
Clean the housing, venturi pipes, main feed and return pipes.
Change the engine bay fuel filter.

Last edited:
What has your friend been filling up from, old socks?

Looks like it :)

The first thing I saw on Star was low pressure at the Y/94 valve, but was assured the low pressure pump was new lmao.........

A combination of a faulty injector and blocked filter caused all these problems.

E270 Owner said:
Anyone familiar with this fault ? Low pressure test is fine engine cuts out on high pressure test Pressure sensor test is ok and the valve control tests ok in DAS Various fault codes DAS > 2047-001 Rail pressure to low volume control valve 2015-001 Rail pressure to low volume control valve 2051-001 Rail pressure to low pressure control valve 2019-001 Rail pressure to low pressure control valve EOBD II > P2056 Injection pump fuel metering control B malfunction (cam/rotor/injector) P2051 Injection pump fuel metering control A malfunction (cam/rotor/injector) I'm wondering if there's a faulty injector causing the problem.

Is this what the STAR looks like?

check the wiring from the MAF they route over the engine and rub the insulation away causing them to earth and short out.i had a similar problem whereby the shorting was tricking the computer into giving out low fuel pressure fault codes.
i spent over £500 replacing the fuel system after advice from experts and it turned out to be a wire shorting out.in the end 2 inch of insulating tape cured the problem.

check the wiring from the MAF they route over the engine and rub the insulation away causing them to earth and short out.i had a similar problem whereby the shorting was tricking the computer into giving out low fuel pressure fault codes.
i spent over £500 replacing the fuel system after advice from experts and it turned out to be a wire shorting out.in the end 2 inch of insulating tape cured the problem.

Interesting

Thanks

if all else fails call Danny at Keys of Bexleyheath MB indie the guys spot on and very helpful

if all else fails call Danny at Keys of Bexleyheath MB indie the guys spot on and very helpful

Got the tee shirt there fella I used to buy lots of electrical parts off them years ago :)

As good as they are, and the guys up at West Kingsdown, http://njs-solutions.com/ , neither would take it on without wanting to spend over £500.00.

All is ok now I sussed out whats was wrong, running perfect. :)

Last edited:
Looks like it :)

The first thing I saw on Star was low pressure at the Y/94 valve, but was assured the low pressure pump was new lmao.........

A combination of a faulty injector and blocked filter caused all these problems.

Fuel filter changed.
Injectors tested ok.
DAS checks pressure valves ok
No suggestions from DAS after engine cuts out during HP test, it returns to the HP start test screen with a communication error.

I suspect the HP pump but you can bet I will put a new one on and the problem will still be there.

I want to nail the problem and not resort to guess work, which is not the way to fault find, it can run into thousands that way.

Sorry to bring back this old thread.

Did you try the high pressure test again after you fixed the fuel filter and did it get all the way to the end without cutting out? Is the Y94 valve now in spec in the "actual values"?

I ask as my car does the same in the HP test and the Y94 valve on star is always showing a too high duty percentage on Star.

Thanks

Adam

One of the problems was the first new HP pump was faulty on pressure delivery to the rail,
the second HP pump was faulty on the return fuel pressure to the tank causing the famous saddle tank
1/4 tank fuel runs out.

The second was a faulty injector dumping pressure under WOT.

The third was a blocked fuel tank pump (see pics)

The fourth was a blocked fuel filter

The fifth was a faulty turbo over boosting sticking vanes.

I have spare working CDI fuel pumps and quantity control valves if you want to try one see if it cures the problem, I'm just up the road from you.

PM me your mobile and I'll send you some info.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom