Fuel Tank Vacuum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eaglesalz

Car
mb c220 cdi
Hello to all, I have tried looking for a post on this but have failed. I have a c220 cdi and the other day the engine just cut out, fuel tank reading 1/2. To cut a long story short went back the next day to the car (why does this car have no tow hook on the front?) and for some unknown reason to me (just a little voice in my head) opened the fuel filler cap and a whoose (is that how it is spelt) of air into tank and the fuel gauge went to empty, (so ran out off fuel). Any ideas why this happens, also looked under car and fuel tank is a bit concaved. Muh appreciate help.

Obviously you have an air lock.

is the tank damaged?

Obviously you have an air lock.

is the tank damaged?

Hello, thanks for reply, apart from the dent in the bottom of the tank (I would say caused by the sucking of the pump) no other damage I can see. I have no idea how the system works on this but does it have a vent for the tank somewhere?

Hello to all, I have tried looking for a post on this but have failed. I have a c220 cdi and the other day the engine just cut out, fuel tank reading 1/2. To cut a long story short went back the next day to the car (why does this car have no tow hook on the front?) and for some unknown reason to me (just a little voice in my head) opened the fuel filler cap and a whoose (is that how it is spelt) of air into tank and the fuel gauge went to empty, (so ran out off fuel). Any ideas why this happens, also looked under car and fuel tank is a bit concaved. Muh appreciate help.

tow.JPG

This may help
Mercedes-Benz Teilekatalog (Ersatzteile online)
The charcoal filter which is part of the evaporative loss emission control from the tank may be choked or some other part of the tank venting system may have a fault. The charcoal filter is located behind the left hand rear wheel-arch liner if memeory serves correct

Thank you so much for this picture, I have spent quite a few minutes, scratching my head thinking, why did they not put a tow eye on. I looked on the internet and nothing, looked in the handbook that came with the car and nothing (although it was in Dutch) I thought I might hane found a picture off it, even looking under the car (I could see this item) but did not know how to remove the cover, until now when I saw your picture and used my screwdriver to gently give it a helping hand. Again thanks for the picture.

This may help
Mercedes-Benz Teilekatalog (Ersatzteile online)
The charcoal filter which is part of the evaporative loss emission control from the tank may be choked or some other part of the tank venting system may have a fault. The charcoal filter is located behind the left hand rear wheel-arch liner if memeory serves correct
I will have a look to see if it is there. I take it, it might need replacing?

I will have a look to see if it is there. I take it, it might need replacing?
If you have a vacuum build up in the tank plainly its not being vented adequately. Charcoal filters are seldom renewed due to the out of sight = out of mind principle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom