Fuel tank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rick01

Car
E230
Hi not sure if this is the place to post this. Took my clk 320 for its mot and it failed on a leak from the fuel tank?. The boy said that he cant see where the leak is but he can smell it and it was leaking from the top of the tank. There is less than half a tank of fuel in it and I cant see anything on the floor and I cant smell anything in the car.

Can anyone help.

Thanks

Hi

I have a similar problem on my 1999 SL 320 (R129) and is looking for ideas to how to fix: for a while I could smell fuel around the fuel tank area but with no visible signs of leaks. At the annual service I asked the garage to have a look at the problem. They changed the charcoal canister and the fuel cap but otherwise couldn't find anything. Then after not have been in use for a week the car leaked heavily from around the fuel tank area when I started the engine, leaving a trail on the garage floor. I took it for a short drive, left it for a couple of hours and then started it again. This time no leak whatsoever. The tank was just over ½ full.
It is now back at the garage but they have so far not been able to find the course the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Torben

Hi at long last I got it, On my CLK 320 there is a plastic cover over the sender underneath the car, in the middle of the sender there is ( what I call a draining screw not sure what you call it ) a hex screw take this out to drain the tank and replace screw and washer job done.

There was no signs of a leak on the ground just the smell and the local garage said it needed a new tank at the cost of £1200 thank god it was just a washer.

Well done, I was going to say it is unusual to have the plastic fuel tank leak on a CLK. On the SL which has a steel tank just check under neath where the filter and pump is - could just be a loose clamp on the rubber hoses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom