Full List MPs Expenses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
what does it average out across the whole MP's.

I think Party averages can be influences by some parties living nearer london and have a greater share, than Libs for example.

Lets not forget that MP's also get a full final salary pension after only 5 years.

Nice work if you can get it.

Excellent point, especially when you consider that UK pensions for ordinary folks are amongst the worst in Europe. If they are doing a review of expenses and overall compensation I think that this is one aspect that should also be reviewed and, in my opinion, made to be far less generous.

The way i see it.,
I could buy a crap run down house for 50k, do it up expense wise, conservatory, loft conversion, e.t.c and claim for the lot. Sell it for 275k and start all over again.
In a year i could have made 2million without a fuss.

The way i see it.,
I could buy a crap run down house for 50k, do it up expense wise, conservatory, loft conversion, e.t.c and claim for the lot. Sell it for 275k and start all over again.
In a year i could have made 2million without a fuss.

get yourself in, you have my vote, that's the kind of honest talk we should be voting for. Someone in it for themselves, and not pretending to be anything else.

To get things in context.........
My 20 year old son came home early Sunday morning after having gone to a club in London.
He was set on by 5 men and left with broken teeth and a black eye Henry Cooper would have been proud of. Plus quite a few other minor injuries.
When I think what COULD have happened...................
Sort of focuses your mind a bit and brings it home the things that are really important to you personally.

In the words of the late Mr Farrokh Bulsara............nothing really matters........
Really sorry to hear that verytalldave. Sometimes you really have to question the priorities in life... :(

I think Hogg has denied that this formed part of his claim - it was included in the schedule of work he had done but was not claimed or reimbursed.
You are correct of course. Wonder why on earth you would submit a list of things you didn't claim for? :confused:

Last edited:
has anyone added this list up for a total ,must be an unreal amount

I think everyone is going over the top on this. Sure some of their expenses seem a little crazy (and fictitious), but can anyone who is employed here tell me that if their company offered them a £20k of expenses or a choice of a free car etc, that they wouldn't take it??

Get real, this is just part of what they get paid, anyone can be an MP, no-one is stopping you, this is just part of their package.

You have to remember that some/a lot of that money IS probably spent on expenses is genuine, and when you look at what they earn, there are a lot more people that earn a lot more than what MP's do, and no-one is going about talking about them! :devil::dk:

The hole system is at fault, these MP's vote on there own pay rise's and manage their own expenses at out expense, its about time it came out in the open.
Lets hope something is changed for the better of us all.:wallbash:

I think everyone is going over the top on this. Sure some of their expenses seem a little crazy (and fictitious), but can anyone who is employed here tell me that if their company offered them a £20k of expenses or a choice of a free car etc, that they wouldn't take it??

Get real, this is just part of what they get paid, anyone can be an MP, no-one is stopping you, this is just part of their package.

I do not think we are.
First the company money is just that. Companies money. Much like football clubs or others. Nothing to do with taxpayer. Good for them.

Next if my company offered me then fine i would take it.
But if i'm allowed to write the rules in my company all the time to claim, the company will soon be out of business very quickly. Much like the banks today.

So what next. An MP has a grudge with someone. They go in their box and write some rules that it is okay to smash someone with a baseball bat.
He goes out and smashes the guy and then says, it was within the rules, made by us to suit us.

Last edited:

There is a difference if a company chooses to do this. To continue to do this it has to generate revenue and that means competing in a market place.

MPs may compete to be elected and for government positions but that is only an internal market within their 'company'.

Their 'company' is a national monopoly. It has no competition. You can't choose HM gov A over HM gov B and pay your taxes to the one you prefer or that offers you a better price or service.

MPs must have the most generous final salary pension scheme in the country too. I think it is a 40ths scheme, ie you are an MP for 20 years you retire on half salary. I assume this is even more if you have served as a Minister. I believe it was just 6/7 years ago that MPs voted themselves a 25% increase in pension rights. It was a 50ths scheme before they changed it - there was only a limited outcry at the time.

I was also horrified to hear about MP 'severance' package, ie. when they are voted out by the electorate, it is something like a £40K lump sum and removals/legal expenses etc to the tune of £25K. expect this to be a live 'issue' post the General Election!

MPs must have the most generous final salary pension scheme in the country too. I think it is a 40ths scheme, ie you are an MP for 20 years you retire on half salary. I assume this is even more if you have served as a Minister. I believe it was just 6/7 years ago that MPs voted themselves a 25% increase in pension rights. It was a 50ths scheme before they changed it - there was only a limited outcry at the time.

It's never been right that MP can vote for their own terms and conditions. Imagine if we all could do that.

I read today the the PM wants all claims over the last 4 years reviewed. As someone who is self employed I must keep my last 7 years of accounts available for review. So even when trying to do the right thing the PM shows that MPs are not equal to the man on the street.

edit:
Hazel Blears will pay £13k in capital gains tax on the sale of her second home. It also looks like many other MPs will pay back expenses outside the spirit of the rules.

But to me none of this fully addresses the issues. If I or any other UK citizen had done the same then HMRC would have begun a full tax investigation, with interest and fines payable. I see no signs of this happening to our honourable MPs.

Last edited:
There is a difference if a company chooses to do this. To continue to do this it has to generate revenue and that means competing in a market place.

MPs may compete to be elected and for government positions but that is only an internal market within their 'company'.

Their 'company' is a national monopoly. It has no competition. You can't choose HM gov A over HM gov B and pay your taxes to the one you prefer or that offers you a better price or service.

Yes, and MP's aren't like company people. They aren't voted in by those that have the most number of "shares in britain" i.e. those that pay the most tax.

MP's therefore have an equal duty to all their contsituents to spend their money fairly, dilligently and in the best interests. Yes they are not a charity case and need fair renumeation but they should be as frugal as they can with their expenses claim and not use them as an resource to actually enhance their quality of life, but for re-imbursement for physical expenses incurred on the job.

I claimed expenses in my last role, it was for airport parking, food, and a hotel for when I was away in another office. it wasn't for a cleaner, a valet (although mine needs this badly), or for anything that I wouldn't normally have to buy out of my salary. Expenses are their to pay for things that cannot reasonably be paid out of a salary that need paying for and are a direct consquence of work. An MP from wales could reasonable expect room, bed breakfest to be paid for or a lease on a flat but house keepers etc is taking the p155 and it needs stopped

I have a solution.

1. Let the taxpayer buy a hotel in London for the use of MP's who don't live within a 50 mile radius of parliament, the rest can go home. (Income can be made during the summer recess too.)

2. Increase ordinary MP's salaries to £250k (This brings them within the 50% tax bracket:)) and they pay all their own living costs.

3. Have a pool of paid staff to carry out MP's administration.

4. Make the H of P subject to licencing and smoking laws.

5. Ensure expenses are legitimate and sack anyone who abuses them.

6. Travel baggage class.

7. Get rid of all the expensive 'advisors/consultants'

8. Use video conferencing instead of weekends away with the secretary.

9. Have a mail room and franking machine.

and finally

10. LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE.

In what other walk of life can you knowingly steal, get caught, and have the matter ended by offering to give it back ?
Both the Police and HMRC should have these people under a spotlight.

I seriously doubt anymore that there is such a thing as an honest politician.

edit:
Hazel Blears will pay £13k in capital gains tax on the sale of her second home. It also looks like many other MPs will pay back expenses outside the spirit of the rules.

But to me none of this fully addresses the issues. If I or any other UK citizen had done the same then HMRC would have begun a full tax investigation, with interest and fines payable. I see no signs of this happening to our honourable MPs.

But she didn't break any tax laws, she's only repaying it because she doesn't want to be seen to be doing the wrong thing.

In what other walk of life can you knowingly steal, get caught, and have the matter ended by offering to give it back ?

It's not stealing - they are doing no more than what most good accountants are doing, playing the rules to get the best result for their selves.

Dare I liken this to people that were cancelling their tax discs just before the deadline so they could take out anohter at the cheaper rate. Unethical, and potentially defrauding me of money as a taxpayer, but not seen as a bad thing! :devil::crazy:

Very true, in almost all jobs, if you are caught with your hand in the cookie jar, you are sacked and prosecuted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom