Gardening question re garlic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
I planted some garlic cloves two or three weeks ago, following the adage "Plant in November", or something like it.

I was assuming it would then overwinter in the soil and make an appearance next spring, but the shoots have already started to poke above ground. Is this OK, or are they going to be killed by the inevitable freeze?

I'm new to garlic growing, so any information is most welcome.

It has been unseasonably warm for late October / early November and this has probably hastened the growth although garlic sprouts quickly anyway. Frost will kill the shoots and water logging will also do the plant no good.

This time of year I plant them in pots with some sharp sand in the soil to aid drainage and then you can either bring the pots inside or find them shelter and wrap them in some garden fleece for protection.

DSM is right - it's been very warm

I still have a few tomatoes, chillis and peppers doing OK in the greenhouse

I think it'll have to be the garden fleece, as the vampire repellent is in a raised brick-built bed. It's in a reasonably sheltered spot so hopefully all will be well.

I'll look forward to breathing over you all in a GTG next year.

Its important to buy garlic that's suitable for growing, ie from organic stock. Its quite easy to grow but if you just plant some cloves from supermarket garlic you might not succeed as it's often been 'nuked' to increase its shelf life and tries to grow but never comes to anything. I know this from the experience of tenderly nursing about 20 garlic plants through winter only to end up with 20 insipid looking cloves (not bulbs) of garlic with long shoots on them!! :crazy:

Remember there are also Spring planting varieties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom