Garmin GPS and Garmin Pilot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRIVER200

Car
C43 AMG Estate
Can someone explain the difference between the standard Garmin GPS SatNav which comes with the Premium Plus Pack and the extra cost Garmin Map Pilot system which appears to be another add-on Option? Thanks.

Last edited:
With Premium Plus pack the standard Garmin is upgraded to the COMAND Online system. There is no add-on to further upgrade COMAND, well at least not on the C Class configurator.

Having used both the COMAND and standard Garmin system, I would always suggest the COMAND, the screen is nicer and the whole system is quicker.

Thanks for the info. Incidentally assume the COMMAND covers Continental Europe and how would you update as I think somewhere in the Mercedes literature it says free updates for 3 years but that maybe for the Map Pilot system?

Thanks for the info. Incidentally assume the COMMAND covers Continental Europe and how would you update as I think somewhere in the Mercedes literature it says free updates for 3 years but that maybe for the Map Pilot system?

Updates are done by the local dealer, should be when your car is serviced, but you may have to remind them.

Not quite sure what Map Pilot does and notice you can buy the SD versions on ebay for around £80.00. Seems to be that it perhaps gives you better quality graphics etc.. but guessing that the standard Garmin GPS system is pretty good anyway although a bit old now|?

Not quite sure what Map Pilot does and notice you can buy the SD versions on ebay for around £80.00. Seems to be that it perhaps gives you better quality graphics etc.. but guessing that the standard Garmin GPS system is pretty good anyway although a bit old now|?

Well it depends how much you need/use the satnav system. The standard nav will point you in the right direction, and get you there, but entering addresses etc is quite slow going. The COMAND system is a lot nicer, and with the built in HDD it's quicker too.
I'm not a fan of the black plastic surround you get on the base nav screen.

Are you not wanting to add the other features of premium plus to the car?

Well I want the PREMIUM PLUS pack which comes with COMMAND but if you choose the MAP PILOT it reconfigures the PREMIUM PLUS pack and deletes the COMMAND option I think. So you end up with MAP PILOT and nothing else? I use the current AUDI MMI system on the continent a lot and its OK but not always as up-to-date as it could be. Just trying to understand the benefits of MAP PILOT over the standard PREMIUM PLUS PACKAGE version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom