Gatso

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark.t

Banned
Car
E300 td tomtom sat nav in car dvd
Makes for interesting reading ......I especially like the typo error regarding SPEED CAMERA PRATNERSHIPS.....it may be worth while doing if your licence is on the line read the press release at the bottom of page as well

http://www.abd.org.uk/gatso_photo_checking.htm

Last edited:
Ian B Walker said:
Me too and do you think anyone who witnessed it is going to contact the said policeman? I do not think so :rolleyes:

Nope, and the thoughtful criminals (because that's what they are) left the cables exposed. And who do you expect will be paying for the replacement camera?

Anyone who thinks this is a clever act wants their head examined.
(Last quote not specifically aimed at you Ian as from your post I couldn't really tell which direction you were coming from.)

Sorry, I disagree plodd - its called direct action and I for one agree with this type of action given that all else seems to be failing.

Unless of course you have a better idea?

Makes you glad that Nuclear protesters aren't as naive?

:crazy:

Sp!ke said:
Sorry, I disagree plodd - its called direct action and I for one agree with this type of action given that all else seems to be failing.

Unless of course you have a better idea?

Keeping to the speed limits?

Or is that too simplistic for you? ;)

this makes for interesting, if not scary reading. Although this article dates back a few months, im pretty sure there are pilot schemes using cats eyes to house speed cameras.......what will they think of next?! :confused:

Plodd said:
Keeping to the speed limits?

Or is that too simplistic for you? ;)

Yes, far too simplistic - thats the root of the problem. A speed limit imposed at one time of day may be justified whilst at another, completely ridiculous. The camera doesn't know the difference whereas a man on the ground does. The camera doesn't spot dangerous driving, it just nabs you for doing 3mph over the limit regardless as to whether it was safe to do so or not.

I could go on and on about cameras not saving lives and the revenue generation etc but its been talked about so much before, frankly I can't be bothered. You know as well as I do that camera's arent the answer. The general populous has spoken and been ignored so why not tear them down?

Frankly, I'm surprised at your stance, I thought the police were also anti-Gatsos?

PJH said:
Plodd, did you miss this Minority Group Thread ?

I did miss that thread and I am against the use of speed cameras in some locations but feel they could be better used in others.

I also feel there is a need for more traffic light cameras but that's another matter completely.

What I was getting at is that these cameras are there to catch people breaking a law. You can spout on all night about different speed limits at different times of the day and such like and I may well agree with you but it's a law and until it's changed that's that.

What I was getting at was that fact people do these things without thought that someone may be injured by what they leave behind or that someone, somehow will have to pay for replacement. It also amazes me that usually sensible people turn into small children and coo with childish delight when they see another Gatso vandalised. :rolleyes:

Well I am surrounded by fast open roads with no schools, houses or crossings or junctions .... and 20mph speed limits.

No one sticks to the limit and if you try, you get beeped at and given abuse by other drivers trying to make some progress.

Based on this kind of idiotic use of speed limits - no its not always possible to safely stick to the limit nor will I.

I, like many others drive at a speed which is suitable for the conditions. This may be below the limit in some areas and over the limit in other areas. In three quarters of a million miles of motoring my judgement has not yet failed me and I have not been involved in any accident - ever.

I don't need or appreciate being told how fast or how slow to drive on any given road. Least of all when new speed enforcements are agreed by a bunch of local councilors weilding pencils and statistics.. some of whom have never ever been at the wheel of a car.

Safety cameras my @rse. :crazy:

Last edited:
Fast open roads in an unbuilt up area called Richmond that all have 20 mph speed limits? How unlucky.

But then i expect having said you will disregard any speed limit you think is not right will you then accept your penalties when you get caught for speeding? And isn't the definition of reckless driving the fact that the criminal knows they are doing the wrong thing but flagrantly decide to ignore the law?

The arguement that all the other cars when one is driving at the right speed flash you and make you speed up just doesn't wash. Its like saying to the teacher the big boys made me do it. It just shows another sad decline in standards in this country. I always recall that being able to drive at or below the designated speed limit was a crucial part of the driving test not one that could just be thrown away at the whim of the individual as it made him take 30 second longer to reach the Penguin and Flicknife at the end of the road. Do not take this all as a personal dig but i do believe it to be a sad reflection on life in this country that all i ever here people moan about these days is gatso this and gatos that.

This ludicrous cry from the muddle masses of middle britain that they have never had a point in their lives until recently frankly beggars belief. Are we to believe that all of a sudden driving standards have dropped and that people have miraculously decided all at once to start to speed? Or is more the case that driving standards have always been poor, that these serial speeders have always ignored the law of the land as they know better. Wasn't there a similair view of drink driving when that first came in?

The concept of obeying the speed limit isn't new - its just the fact that people object to actually having to finally obey it as it makes them late for this and that, i know how about you leave 10 minutes earlier for that journey instead there is an idea.. you wills ave fuel... stress and arrive on time without points on your license.

Last edited:
Yep, Its called Richmond Park. :eek:

... and I dont get caught speeding nor get involved in reckless driving or anything else. My driving is a damn site safer than many who never venture over the limit.

Speed does *NOT* kill. Its innapropriate use of speed that kills.

Basically its bad driving (not reading the road) that does but then theres no way that theyt can catch you or fine you for bad driving with a static camera.

Oh, and as for being flashed, its not as simple as that.. people get impatient and start making dangerous overtaking manoevres putting everyone at risk. Speed up 10mph and everyone is safer.

[edit] go out on the road... any road... and 99% of cars break the speed limit on every journey they make and yet these 99% of drivers only account for less than 15% of road deaths. 85% have other causes - and thats using the DTA's own figures.

go figure

Last edited:
Sp!ke said:
I don't need or appreciate being told how fast or how slow to drive on any given road. Least of all when new speed enforcements are agreed by a bunch of local councilors weilding pencils and statistics.. some of whom have never ever been at the wheel of a car.

So its ok to drive at what speed past a school? 60 mph what about down the motorway 150mph? And what if those statistics showed that slowing traffic down around schools saved lives? Or that by putting in traffic calming measures people were less threatened by thundering traffic driven by hooligans?

I hope for your sake that this statement of yours that you don't beleive in any speed limits does not come back to haunt you one day should you have the misfortune to have an accident and speed is the cause...

Baghdad or Bust said:
So its ok to drive at what speed past a school? 60 mph what about down the motorway 150mph? And what if those statistics showed that slowing traffic down around schools saved lives? Or that by putting in traffic calming measures people were less threatened by thundering traffic driven by hooligans?

Oh give me a break, this is a pathetic example.

No its not ok to drive past a school at 60mph @ 9am but it may well be safe at 3AM.

I am not advocating speeding at all, I am making the point that society is being dummed down and we are being turned into this nanny state unable to make our own decisions about what is safe speed or not.

Sp!ke said:
Yep, Its called Richmond Park. :eek:

... and I dont get caught speeding nor get involved in reckless driving or anything else. My driving is a damn site safer than many who never venture over the limit.

Speed does *NOT* kill. Its innapropriate use of speed that kills.

Basically its bad driving (not reading the road) that does but then theres no way that theyt can catch you or fine you for bad driving with a static camera.

Oh, and as for being flashed, its not as simple as that.. people get impatient and start making dangerous overtaking manoevres putting everyone at risk. Speed up 10mph and everyone is safer.

But you have already said you don't beleive in speed limits as dictated by the governing bodies, or is it now your contention that all speed limits should be raised by 10 mph? Is that enough? Or is it only the ones that you and you alone think should be raised?

here is an idea when the big boys bully you next time with their naughty flashing lights - why not pull over and let them through. They can then speed and get caught or run someone over and you can arrive without any additions to your license.

Isn't it amazing how every one seems to rate themselves as a dab hand at the wheel second only to Michael Schumacher, yet they rate everyone else on the road as sub normal cretins who lack the opposable thumb necessary to stear a car. Personally i would assess my own driving as adequate, maybe i am better maybe i am worse - but then i am not that conceited to pass that sort of judgement - i left it to the examiners at the IAM and also various other advanced driving courses to judge that.

Sp!ke said:
Oh give me a break, this is a pathetic example.

No its not ok to drive past a school at 60mph @ 9am but it may well be safe at 3AM.

I am not advocating speeding at all, I am making the point that society is being dummed down and we are being turned into this nanny state unable to make our own decisions about what is safe speed or not.

So it is appropriate to drive at 60 mph in a built up area at 3am.... boy would love to see that one take a swing past the beak when you get called up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom