Gear box fluid change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dieselc220

Car
E320 CDI
Hi I've just purchased my first Mercedes which is a 2005 c220cdi, there is no history of automatic gearbox fluid change, is it worth getting done ? She has done 100000 miles. Any advice would be helpful.

And by someone who knows how to do it properly!

I thought it was just "suck" out the oil change filter odd washer little gasket thing and then refill ? Alway wonder how much old oil get left behind....

I'm in the same position. Just bought a Merc with 722.6 gearbox with just over 80000 miles. No evidence of it having had a gearbox fluid change in the service history so I'm assuming the fluid is the original factory fill.

Should I change the fluid? I've heard advice that once past a highish mileage its best to leave it until it fails as the gearbox can be "shocked" by having new fluid put in it leading to premature failure. Is this a myth?

I'm in the same position. Just bought a Merc with 722.6 gearbox with just over 80000 miles. No evidence of it having had a gearbox fluid change in the service history so I'm assuming the fluid is the original factory fill.

Should I change the fluid? I've heard advice that once past a highish mileage its best to leave it until it fails as the gearbox can be "shocked" by having new fluid put in it leading to premature failure. Is this a myth?

Complete myth!

The fluid degrades with time and use, you would not apply the same criteria to the engine oil would you?:D

If you change the fluid and the box gives you agro it was on its last legs anyway.

Change it if in doubt i would ;)

dieselc220 said:
Hi I've just purchased my first Mercedes which is a 2005 c220cdi, there is no history of automatic gearbox fluid change, is it worth getting done ? She has done 100000 miles. Any advice would be helpful.
Just had mine changed by cowdray car centre in Colchester, can't believe the difference it has made to the gear changes so I would say IF IN DOUBT GET IT DONE!!!!

I know some models were supplied with so called sealed for life gearboxes that never needed fluid changes. Opinions vary but, put it this way, they don't do it now. All boxes have scheduled fluid changes !

:thumb:
I know some models were supplied with so called sealed for life gearboxes that never needed fluid changes. Opinions vary but, put it this way, they don't do it now. All boxes have scheduled fluid changes !

I believe MB changed their mind on these and added fluid changes for them in the schedules!

They did indeed. However, in common with a number of makers, they never specified who or what the life it was of.

Cynics suggest it might have been the Warranty period.

Just had mine changed by cowdray car centre in Colchester, can't believe the difference it has made to the gear changes so I would say IF IN DOUBT GET IT DONE!!!!
Hi I am near Colchester is the cowdray a Mercedes garage? And could I ask you what it cost please thanks

Mine has been returned fresh from an oil + filter change today - i think they reset the ECU (1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.”)

The car felt so responsive and quick off the line and the shifts are almost imperceptible - very happy with the work so far.

What benefit is there from resetting the ECU as described above??

Got my C200 booked in for a gearbox oil service at the end of the month and now wondering if I should do this when it comes back? :)

Got my C200 booked in for a gearbox oil service at the end of the month and now wondering if I should do this when it comes back? :)

The fluid change will make a substantial difference, just see how it is after that before doing anything else.

The gearbox on my 2003 CL600 is exactly the same as on my 2001 XKR Jaguar . Both handbooks say "sealed for life".

The advice from the XK owners Club is to change the oil and filter at 60K, as there have been several failures at varying mileages above that.

I had the CL's changed when I got the car, at 46K but 11 years old. Gives peace of mind.

I don't believe this sealed for life stuff. Similar to BMW saying their cars only need an oil change every 2 years.

Stuart

It resets the driving style adaptations. Meaning - how high/low in the RPM range it shifts, also how long it holds gears before shifting to the next. The benefit is that if you drive granny style, you get good fuel economy, but if you decide to go all Fittipaldi - it will respond.

Popular gossip is that it monitors your behaviour over the last 40 shifts and adjust to that.

If you don't have a tremor in your foot, let it handle its own business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom