(Gear) knob in hand - literally

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pos.k

Car
C220 CDI Estate, Alpine White; Jaguar F-Type Coupe Salsa Red AMG SLC 43 Brilliant Blue
Hi, wonder if anyone can help - I have a 05 model W203 with Sport pack - auto shift lever has a silver cap on top of gear shift. Yesterday the top section came away in my hand:crazy: . There are a number of plastic 'prongs that locate down into the leather bound section, but I can find no way of removing the whole knob off of the stem. there is a silver collar above the leather boot, but this does not appear to want to move down or twist round.
Any suggestions? or is it superglue time?

Surely it's covered under your warranty. It's warranty time not superglue time.

davidH said:
Surely it's covered under your warranty. It's warranty time not superglue time.
Plus I would want to know the reason why it came off?

How long have you owned the car and where did you buy it?

The reasons are more interesting than the cure.

Regards

pos.k said:
Hi, wonder if anyone can help - I have a 05 model W203 with Sport pack - auto shift lever has a silver cap on top of gear shift. Yesterday the top section came away in my hand:crazy: . There are a number of plastic 'prongs that locate down into the leather bound section, but I can find no way of removing the whole knob off of the stem. there is a silver collar above the leather boot, but this does not appear to want to move down or twist round.
Any suggestions? or is it superglue time?

It may not be the same as mine as I have a manual gearbox.
But to remove it I pulled up the gaiter which reveals an inverted plastic cone.
Twist this 90 degrees and it releases; then pull the knob up.

Twist the silver collar 90 degrees (it will be stiff, but it will go) and then pull the gear knob off the stalk (again this will seem like it doesn't want to move).

Thanks guys - I think this one is down to me - will try and remove the remaining part and take it from there!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom