Gerry Adams arrested

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
Gerry Adams arrested in connection with the murder of Jean McConville

Police said a 65-year-old man presented himself to Antrim police station on Wednesday evening and was arrested.

In a statement, Sinn Féin said: "Last month Gerry Adams said he was available to meet the PSNI about the Jean McConville case. That meeting is taking place this evening."

Mrs McConville, one of Northern Ireland's Disappeared, was kidnapped in front of her children after being wrongly accused of being an informer.

Last month, Ivor Bell, 77, a leader in the Provisional IRA in the 1970s, was charged in connection with the murder.

The claim that she was an informer was dismissed after an official investigation by the Northern Ireland Police Ombudsman.

Pass the popcorn

Yet another lump swept under the carpet ......

Why is her being an informer (or not) relevant at all?

Surely kidnapping a mother in front her children and then killing her can't be right under any circumstances, regardless of what she may or may not have done?

Personally I find the enquiry into whether she was an informer or not infuriating. And what if she was....? And how does the fact that she was not an informer changes anything?

markjay said:
Personally I find the enquiry into whether she was an informer or not infuriating. And what if she was....? And how does the fact that she was not an informer changes anything?
Its probably relevant in that it may establish motivation, or lead to others becoming suspects.

I doubt that there will be any more action in this matter than there was in operation Yewtree. Lots of noise, but no real result is my prediction.

Innocent until proven guilty of course. But after chatting to a NI colleague today he was concerned that if he was found guilty and imprisoned it would put back the peace process and terrorism would escalate again. However any new evidence has to be acted on.

Too long ago.

No forensic evidence to link Adams to her death.

The only witnesses to the actual killing being best described as "unreliable".

A lack of political will to prosecute someone who was instrumental in helping broker the Good Friday Agreement.

He'll be fine.

Too long ago.

No forensic evidence to link Adams to her death.

The only witnesses to the actual killing being best described as "unreliable".

A lack of political will to prosecute someone who was instrumental in helping broker the Good Friday Agreement.

He'll be fine.

The McConville children know who...but daren't say even after all this time. It is interesting that they welcome the arrests though.

He can't possibly be guilty of anything; remember, we don't negotiate with terrorists....

It's taken a long time and a lot of balls to finally arrest a man who has admitted to being part of a terrorist organisation and has been involved in many atrocities. Guilty or not, peace process or not..... hang the ******!!!

It's taken a long time and a lot of balls to finally arrest a man who has never admitted to being part of a terrorist organisation and has allegedly been involved in many atrocities. Guilty or not, peace process or not..... hang the ******!!!

Fixed that for you. He has always denied membership of any illegal organisation.

The McConville children know who...but daren't say even after all this time. It is interesting that they welcome the arrests though.

I couldn’t agree more, the very words I was thinking after reading this article today on the BBC News web site.

Link: - BBC News - Jean McConville murder: Son says he knows killers

The fact remains, was it a wise decision for him (son) to disclose that he knows who the killers were. I think I would be feeling pretty uncomfortable at this moment in time having just made that statement to the world.

Regards,

[FONT=&quot]Dash1[/FONT]

I couldn’t agree more, the very words I was thinking after reading this article today on the BBC News web site.

Link: - BBC News - Jean McConville murder: Son says he knows killers

The fact remains, was it a wise decision for him (son) to disclose that he knows who the killers were. I think I would be feeling pretty uncomfortable at this moment in time having just made that statement to the world.

Regards,

[FONT=&quot]Dash1[/FONT]

It's not something they haven't said before.

No doubt the person arrested after presenting himself to Antrim Police Station and currently helping the PSNI with their enquiries has a very fine lawyer team. I believe this is something Mrs McConville was not allowed when she was contacted by her local law enforcement society and helped them with their enquiries.

Very very brave lady.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom