Getting a bit bored of the CLK...(are you bored with your car?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Today I've realised I really am getting a bit bored of the CLK, I found myself even lookking at swap deals on old Audi TT's.

In case you didn't see it, I started a thread a while back about getting a (old) Jaguar XK8 by the end of the year. I'd still love to but then I'd also like to get new sash windows, carpet, and get a small extention...one can't have everything. And I think the house will take priority.

So I guess the point of this thread is...Have you ever gotten bored with your car, have you always been bored by it, or do you still look forward to jumping in for a drive?

Cheers,
R

The Motor Trade would be a fraction of its size if none of us ever got bored with our cars!

Easily bored with the wrong car. Had two Audi A4s (one a Quattro) and within 2 months couldn't wait to get rid of them, not because they were bad, but because they were lumpy riding boring things with the charisma of Portsmouth in the rain.

Right car however....

I can't afford to get bored of mine:crazy:
I was thinking about this just the other day, what could I possibly get to replace it with:dk:
Not that I am bored of it, but I dread the day that I do!
Where do you go after 480ish bhp in an estate guise?
The only thing I could think was a Supercharged full fat Range Rover.
I will be happy for a couple of years yet I think:rock:

Welcome to my life - I tend not to last long before I get bored although I am pleased to say that I'm not fed up of the C63 yet (after 3 days!).

Seldom have I kept a car for more than 1 year. But it's not always boredom that makes me change. My personal circumstances change ie. place of work or amount of spare cash. So I'm always prepared to switch to suit my needs of the day.

Friends think it's a joke. But by many member's standards I'm tame.

I got to admit, i'm a bit bored of my W124 estate now.

I'm really tempted to get back into some sort of luxury barge, LTD's S500L has had me thinking along similar lines, along with a E66 760Li which i've been eying up recently. ~2004 cars - so much car for so little money at the moment.

A big factor is that i've had to do quite a few maintenance jobs on the W124 and although it hasnt cost a lot, i'm missing the fact that when i had the BMW and other newer cars I never had to do any work on them. If i got something newer i could limit that maintenance to the R107 only and do it when i please, not be forced into it.

the big problem to my plan is i just cant bring myself to start spending money on fuel again as i've got so used to not buying any running the E300D.

I think one of the troubles with cars can be that the grass seems greener on the other side of the fence.

When it's not that important to change, you sometimes get a bit bored. The difference is, when it comes to the crunch, what better cars (overall as a package) can you get for similar money?

If you're seriously not happy with it, and can think of a few cars that you'd much rather have that are similar money to buy/run/own, then go for it (a swap/change :))

I think we are all sometimes guilty of forgetting how lucky we are/how good are own cars are etc. Sure there's always better ones about, but consider how many people drive boring cars because of circumstances etc.

Will

so then...what car would would you suggest i change to??

I reckon the CLK is worth about £3-3.5k and I could afford to chuck in another £1k to that pot.

I don't drive the car that often (leave for work at 9am, return no earlier than 7pm - work in London), it's mostly weekends. But i do walk past it often and it's nice to think - that awesome car is mine! However, it being parked on the road in London does also result in paranoia when a scrappy looking car parks behind/infront of my car and I have nightmares of them reversing into it.

I'd love a soft top, but leaving a rag top parked on the street I don't think is the best idea - although there are a few on my road.

hmmmmmmmm...

Mate:You`ve seen my car and even though is only a baby 2l engine,i never get bored of it.

I got to admit, i'm a bit bored of my W124 estate now.

I'm really tempted to get back into some sort of luxury barge, LTD's S500L has had me thinking along similar lines, along with a E66 760Li which i've been eying up recently. ~2004 cars - so much car for so little money at the moment.

A big factor is that i've had to do quite a few maintenance jobs on the W124 ...

The BMW 760 - would be quite awesome. Also a car never should be, but always is, a bit of a burden. I imagine if something went on a BMW 7 series it would cost a lot more than the W124.

Mate:You`ve seen my car and even though is only a baby 2l engine,i never get bored of it.

True, you really have a passion and a love for your car. Unfortunately i think my passion and love is reserved for a Porsche/Ferrari/Maseratti..etc etc

I reckon the CLK is worth about £3-3.5k and I could afford to chuck in another £1k to that pot.
Whether good or bad, the possibilities are almost endless.

Throw us a few lines and I'm sure you'll get some suggestions to whet you appetite with.

Yep, i'm bored with my A class now.

I want to sell it and buy something with a much much bigger engine and twice as many cylinders.

Easily bored, but trying to be better. My downfall is usually related to a touch of poor reliability.

Still pleased with the Saab, which I think was great value for money. Not so sure about the E class. My suspicoun is that it's been a little neglected over the last year.

I still look at the S class coming up on Autotrader and wonder if I went for the right car... I suspect that I may be changing again (but do not tell the boss!)

Whether good or bad, the possibilities are almost endless.

Throw us a few lines and I'm sure you'll get some suggestions to whet you appetite with.

2 door.
Good Marque history
fast
a bit rare
within budget.

think that's it !!

Gents you are all reletively lucky your beautiful mercs are running and road worthy (For most I am sure anyway).

My pride and joy the 300CE-24 is still out of action!!! In answer to the qeustion yes I am very bored of driving a Fiat Grande Punto Sporting Diesel (But to be fair its been reliable albeit souless) I just cant wait to get the C124 running for this summer and TBH my W201 needs some work doing to it which detracts from the true enjoyment I would normally get from driving it. Although I may get bored from time to time I can and potentially will never sell the C124 thats why I have owned it since 2001 to date, I can and do however get to the point I am at now, where i do want another Merc to play with not really to fussed what it is as there are so many I have a passion for although I have a short and very diverse list below of cars that are affordable to me at differing levels I am not talking about day to day running fuel costs because by the nature of owning more than one car you have the option on days money is tight to use the economic shed (I know adding it all together costs end up higher owing multiple cars but hey I am a Petrol Head its how I am kept to feel content I suppose)

W123 Any of them
W108/9 6.3 (Not sure this would be affordable but I do love them)
W116 6.9
W201 another 16v please I miss my old one so much! (This prove Will is right above regards the grass being greener)
W124 500E
W124 320TE Sportline
W126 500 or 560 that goes for an SEC or SEL
W114 coupe
R107 (Again not so affordable for a goodun)
R129

I could go on but its already becoming a wish list with cars I would realistically deem unaffordable however currently alot of them are still within my reach value wise for now if one came up at the right time

Last edited:
Porsche 944. (not sure it would enjoy life outside though)
Integra Type-R
Celica GT4

Last edited:
Porsche 944. (not sure it would enjoy life outside though)
Integra Type-R
Celica GT4

Thanks, but having looked at that list, all it has made me think is...I need to probably wait till I can throw more money down the drain!

Integra and Celica - I'm not a fan of Jap cars to be honest, there are a few exceptions, like a 350Z.

Porsche 944 - that would be one mighty old car.

Last edited:
I do recognise the boredom bit. I fancy a change to my S211 - but I can think of no good reason to change it. It's only done about 70k miles, it's still got mobilolife cover, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's well designed, flexible (7 seats) works brilliantly, has easily got another 70-100k before major spend beckons...but I've now done 40,000 miles in it and I want a change.

It's strange, I find myself looking at all sorts of cars, trying to work out if the living experience would be better, worse or just different. Saw an R63 this morning, which got me thinking a bit...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom