GL reliability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

I am toying with the purchase of an early (2008, 2009) gl 320 or 420

I need a reliable tow car / 7 seater / 4x4 and plan to cover 15000 miles a year

Fuel economy is no major problem assuming 25 mpg ish

I read plenty that these vehicles are unreliable but can't find too much specific

What do I need to be aware of and am I better off going for a newer version when issues had been sorted

Is there any other vehicle I should be considering, I've discounted discoveries for being unreliable but is a gl any better?

Thanks a lot

Only thing I'd have checked out if and when you find one you like is to check the roof rail seals are okay and strong !!!!
I only say this as I had one of the first GL's and I Partexed it at mb birmingham , and over the period of them have it on their forecourt water leaked into the back of the car through the roof rails and blee all the computers thankfully this would've happened to me if I am partexed it at the time !!! And arrantly this was a common issue which we stayed in house at Mercedes and these were done without owners knowledge when they went back in for a service but mine wasn't for some strange reason !!!

420 definitely the one to go for, I've owned both and it's leagues ahead of the 320. The 420's also tend to be better specced up.

Early 7G gearbox isn't the smoothest and are known for having an initial delay as you initially put your foot down.

Although the GL is a bit more upmarket than the ML, the interior feels cheap overall, really disappointing.

Definitely try and find one with Airmatic, the standard suspension set-up is very floaty in comparison.

What's the budget?

SPX said:
420 definitely the one to go for, I've owned both and it's leagues ahead of the 320. The 420's also tend to be better specced up. Early 7G gearbox isn't the smoothest and are known for having an initial delay as you initially put your foot down. Although the GL is a bit more upmarket than the ML, the interior feels cheap overall, really disappointing. Definitely try and find one with Airmatic, the standard suspension set-up is very floaty in comparison. What's the budget?

It sounds odd but the budget is between say 13 and 17k, I'd rather have an older car and have money set back to fix the inevitable problems if that's the type of vehicle they are

I thought they all had air suspension, is airmatic different to the adjustable ride height?

Thanks for the replies

I didn't realise that all GL's had Airmatic, but thinking about it, it certainly makes sense because they're a big old bus. Definitely look more towards the 420, 306bhp and more torque than you'll ever need.

But you can get into a D4 for that budget, that's where I'd be looking, but that's just personal preference.

SPX is correct, not all GL's had Airmatic. The x166 models have which is the one I had and I found them miles and miles and miles better in handling and drive ability compared to the x164 models. Airmatic plus Active Cornering control and that beast was defying the laws of physics with its cornering capability.

I've had mine for 3 years with no issues whatsoever. I'm surprised to hear about the interior as well, as when parked up next to a friends ML you can see and feel that the interior was in a different class. But perhaps that is again another difference of the x166 over the x164.

Mine was the 350 Bluetec diesel (averaged about 34mpg), and I had no complaints regarding power for the vehicle. But that 7G gearbox is not brilliant. Throttle response can definitely do with being tweaked a little. ;)

Yes, dejongj raises a good point, I'm taking my experiences from the ML, whereas the GL did have more of an executive feel, a lot more leather about the interior, most ML's were the Artico and as such did not feel as you'd expect from a £50k 4x4.

Also worth pointing out the new GL is called the GLS which seems to position it as an S-Class 4x4.

Thanks chaps, so maybe not a reliability disaster, is it the same vehicle essentially as an r class?

Thanks chaps, so maybe not a reliability disaster, is it the same vehicle essentially as an r class?

I'm fairly sure the ML GL and R all share the same platform.

Depends on what you mean by essentially. Will there be shared components, of-course, will parts of the platform be shared of-course, engine re-use etc. But does that make it essentially the same vehicle; no not in my opinion.

The driving and owner experience is totally different.

Having moved from a D4 into are GL last year, the GL's are fine cars, there is no doubt, but like SPX says, for that sort of money second hand, I'd be looking at a D4.

17K should get you a 2011-2013 variant depending on spec, the HSE has all the toys you can want, so I'd start there. :)

Whats a D4?
What sort of fuel economy do people get on a run in the GL? I am now considering one after my planned purchase of an R320 went wrong. Never seen the GLs until now!

AAAAAAAAAh
Crikey, do people still buy Discos? I gave it my best shot, had 3 in a row (Disco 2s) and after 3 bank jobs and some moderate international frauds, I managed to get all the faults fixed on them.:D

I am considering a ML, GL, or R 320. Would fuel economy be much the same between them ?

R Class should be better on the motorway due to better aerodynamics, otherwise, about the same. (+/-15%)

If you want an ultra reliable 7 seat 4x4 I’d definatley not be looking at any form of Land Rover, I’ve had several and last one was the final straw, unreliable pieces of junk!. Mercs are better, but, if you want great reliability, capability and very slow(if any) depreciation the sensible choice is the Landcruiser.

Ha, we are well agreed there. I nearly bought a LC Amazon last year. Just sooo expensive for a good one, and not worth touching a less than good one! I know they are worth every penny, but still got to have the reddies. And whilst i am sure they are more reliable than the merc, I still think the R320 has the edge on 7 seat comfort and luggage. The Amazon is a fantastic beast, but even that, once you have the boot seats up, there is very little space and certainly no room for a dog in the (non existent) boot left behind. That's my main love of the R320 LWB, even with 7 seats up you still have a small boot which looks plenty enough for a small/medium size dog. Thats my main reason, otherwise I would be back looking at Amazons too
thanks

I was undecided with my budget wether to go for a slightly older Amazon or a slightly newer version of the normal, slightly smaller Landcruiser, in the end I went with a 2006 Landcruiser 3 litre D4D, I could have gone for newer but it gets used off road and on quarries so I didn’t see the point.
The Amazon is bigger and if I’m honest it’s better overall too (apart from thirst) the 120 series Landcruiser (Prado) is also a very robust, well built 4x4 that seats 7, it’s just a little narrower and smaller- although still big- I’d say Discovery size but slightly narrower, it’s also just as capable as any LR/RR I’ve ever driven, with the added advantage of not having to worry about the next huge bill around the corner, spec and interior quality is very good too although I admit it is a little blander on the inside than a Range Rover or Merc.
If you can go for an Amazon, and it’s not simply too massive I’d say go for it!, if not then the regular Landcruiser is also a very good bet, in fact I like mine so much I think I will be upgrading to the newer 150 series in the next year or two when they arnt quite as expensive!.
I did consider a GL, not heard a lot of bad stuff said about them reliability or build wise to be fair, but as an overall package for what I needed the Landcruiser just made more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom