GL Stuck in 5th then in 1st gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

babaroga

Car
GL 420CDI
Hi All,

Yesterday, as we have been driving along and got onto motorway, car got stuck in 5th gear. Noticed that on the rev counter, that we have been doing 75mph on 2200rpm or so. Stopped the car on the hard shoulder, turned it off, started again, and then it stuck in the 1st gear. Had to stop again, turned it off, waited a minute or so, started and it was back to normal. Also, it normally happens after we have driven it, then left it a while (30-90 minutes) and then start it again.

This has only started happening on some occasions since I had 40k miles service and had oil changed in the gearbox, as it started happening more and more often in the past couple of months. Before it was once every few months, but it only got stuck in 5th mainly. We had less than 9k miles since that service, and also had a small service here in Switzerland last December. All services were at MB dealers.

I have searched and found out different reports, mainly in USA about some pump or electronic unit inside gearbox.

Can somebody shed a bit more light on this issue please? At least before I take it to the dealers...

Car is MY07, GL 420Cdi 4matic.

Thanks

It will probably be the electrical plate in the gearbox that is faulty. Some also need a valve body too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom