GLC Driving Abroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samc220

Car
C220
Hi All,

I have a 2016 GLC AMG with standard lighting, Mercedes call it LED High Perfomance Headlamps

I am absolutely stumped by the owners manual......

For driving abroad it says that no changes are required for halogen headlights, it also says that the car has ILS they can be changed on the settings menu.

It doesnt give any guidance on the LED Performance Headlamps....

Does anyone know whats required to drive abroad?

Thanks Sam

You need to set the dipped beam to symmetrical pattern.

Have you had a look in the settings menu to see if the option is there?

You need to set the dipped beam to symmetrical pattern.

Have you had a look in the settings menu to see if the option is there?

I have had a look but dont have that option (unless i missed it). I got the impression from the manual that the menu option was only there if the car had ILS?

Thanks

Sam

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-17%20at%2012.39.40_zpsl3oact3y.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-17%20at%2012.42.19_zpstatk40v1.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-17%20at%2012.43.05_zpsjq1brmzo.png

:thumb:

The OP has the LED performance lights though, not halogen or ILS

I'm keeping an eye on this thread as I have the same lights lol not hat I'll ever take the car abroad though :doh:

Thanks very much, I did see all that in the manual.

The halogen headlights are standard on the SE model, all the others get the LED ones as standard.

The ILS is an optional upgrade which I dont have.

I have checked with the dealer but they dont know either lol

Thanks

Sam

The OP has the LED performance lights though, not halogen or ILS

Yes, I know, but the only distinction in the manual is either halogen or ILS.

I believe the LED High Performance has the same settings controls, just not the Adaptive High Beam, etc functions.

The full name for ILS is LED Intelligent Light System - High Performance Headlamps ...

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-17%20at%2013.04.26_zpsjkb0tws9.png

Yes, I know, but the only distinction in the manual is either halogen or ILS.

I believe the LED High Performance has the same settings controls, just not the Adaptive High Beam, etc functions.

The full name for ILS is LED Intelligent Light System - High Performance Headlamps ...

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-17%20at%2013.04.26_zpsjkb0tws9.png

Hi

Ive just been out to check, i definitely dont have an option for lights in the settings menu, with the enginer on or off and the lights on or off....

Well, I'm out of ideas - the GLK450 had a different lights, of course.

Switching between default (right) side of the road to the proper one, when going from Florida to New Providence was a doddle.

Last edited:
Iirc, some intelligent light systems can tell when you are in a country using the gps, and modify the beam accordingly.
No need to set it when you cross the channel.

Iirc, some intelligent light systems can tell when you are in a country using the gps, and modify the beam accordingly.
A salesman told us this was the case with the GLC with ILS option but I had vowed to check for myself when (if) the car finally turns up. I found the manual to be weakly translated in a few places.

A salesman told us this was the case with the GLC with ILS option but I had vowed to check for myself when (if) the car finally turns up. I found the manual to be weakly translated in a few places.

The manual is a bit of a nighmare all round really. Most of the time it just refers you to the online manual.

I am going to try the dealer again and see if they can give me a definitive answer! If i get one I will report back here.

Thanks

Sam

I have finally had confirmation from the dealer that with normal LED headlamps (Non ILS) there is no adjustment required...... So no need to do anything.

Hopefully they are right!

Cheers

Sam

They are definitely right for the standard LED Headlights, we went through plenty of tunnels including Mont Blanc on a recent trip and no problems. The cut off that these modern lights have is very visible in the dark.

There seems to be two opinions regarding ILS lights, one changing the dip as per manual, the other that the GPS location will sort it out.
Has anyone with ILS tried it abroad yet, as I go next month it would be useful to know which approach to take?

I have finally had confirmation from the dealer that with normal LED headlamps (Non ILS) there is no adjustment required...... So no need to do anything.

Hopefully they are right!

Cheers

Sam
Sam Did you go overseas and was the dealer correct- about to drive overseas next month

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom