GLC Towbar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samc220

Car
C220
Has anyone had an aftermarket towbar fitted to a GLC with a foot operated boot release?

I am being told by the company I just tried to book a fitting with that it isnt possible as the sensors get in the way and when unplugged they give an error message on the dash.

I am not bothered about loosing the foot opening boot but dont want the error message.

Thanks

Sam

Presumably you have spoken with MB and decided they're too pricey?

I imagine if MB do a towbar kit for the car it will need coding to accommodate the senor, or to remove the error messages.

I haven't yet spoken to MB, I just presumed they would be to expensive. I am waiting for a call back from them with a quote.

The company that said they couldn't do it say there is a tape like wire sensor that runs inside the bumper that cant be moved..... I was wondering if anyone had done a successful aftermarket installation?

Thanks

Sam

Thanks

Tow bar kits from MB are expensive, and they supply Westfalia tow bar kits with both Westfalia and Mercedes parts numbers. I would contact Tamzin (details below) and ask for advice - excellent service. I would imagine the foot operated boot release will just be disabled when trailer electrics are connected.

Tamzin Halpin
Westfalia UK Ltd
[email protected]

westfalia-loadcarrier.co.uk
www.westfalia-automotive.co.uk

I've done a bit more research and had a chat with a towbar fitter who has done 2 or 3 installs.

Apparently it's all down to the size of the bumper cut required. Some makes of bar need a larger cut and these are the ones that are difficult / impossible to fit if the car has a foot operated boot release. This is (so I'm told) because the sensor for the boot release is a wire that runs inside the bumper towards the lower edge.

With a bit of care this can be repositioned further up the bumper provided the cut required is not too big.....

I've booked it in so will let you all know how it goes!

Thanks

Sam

samc220 said:
I've done a bit more research and had a chat with a towbar fitter who has done 2 or 3 installs. Apparently it's all down to the size of the bumper cut required. Some makes of bar need a larger cut and these are the ones that are difficult / impossible to fit if the car has a foot operated boot release. This is (so I'm told) because the sensor for the boot release is a wire that runs inside the bumper towards the lower edge. With a bit of care this can be repositioned further up the bumper provided the cut required is not too big..... I've booked it in so will let you all know how it goes! Thanks Sam

What model of GLC do you have? I did look to have one fitted when ordering the car last year but due to the AMG Line bumpers I couldn't have one so I've had roof bars and a bike mount.

What model of GLC do you have? I did look to have one fitted when ordering the car last year but due to the AMG Line bumpers I couldn't have one so I've had roof bars and a bike mount.

I have a 220d AMG Premium - there are now towbars that will fit the AMG - one is made by Bosal, the other is GDW.

AMG Line as opposed to a true AMG...

I've been told that when you fit the dedicated electric kit and have the vehicle coded for towing, the option for the foot release is removed.
The bar does fit the AMG Line but the ribbon sensor for the foot release has to be unclipped off the plastic supports and moved.. . . . the coding disables the sensor.

051-433 - AK41 Detachable | Bosal

sTeVe

I've been told that when you fit the dedicated electric kit and have the vehicle coded for towing, the option for the foot release is removed.
The bar does fit the AMG Line but the ribbon sensor for the foot release has to be unclipped off the plastic supports and moved.. . . . the coding disables the sensor.

051-433 - AK41 Detachable | Bosal

sTeVe

I love my foot release, I'll stick to a roof mounted cycle carrier :)

I wonder if it has to be disabled?

I did a few tests with the foot opening sensor and mine will open the boot if you wave your foot to either side of the centre of the bumper too.

At the risk of kicking the towbar (Very painful!) I wonder if it could be left operational?

I am having a bar fitted on Friday so should know more after that.....

I am slightly sceptical when it come to programming however. The towbar centre say that they can do it but I wonder if they actually can as presumably to do it properly would need the Mercedes computer?

Sam

You will soon find out!! Fingers crossed all works well and you will be happy with it.

I'm gonna save my pennies as I see the 350d is on its way for the GLC

You will soon find out!! Fingers crossed all works well and you will be happy with it.

A 350 GLC would be an awesome car, I love my 220, its by no means slow, but its always nice to have some more go under the right foot!

Jay2512 - On a different note, I dont have enough posts to PM you.... Do you find the 20 inch AMG wheels and tyres noisy on the motorway? I have Bridgestone tyres and the same wheels and they hum really loudly on some surfaces (so loud you cant have a conversation!) Ta Sam

Jay2512 - On a different note, I dont have enough posts to PM you.... Do you find the 20 inch AMG wheels and tyres noisy on the motorway? I have Bridgestone tyres and the same wheels and they hum really loudly on some surfaces (so loud you cant have a conversation!) Ta Sam

Sam, not that bad in fairness, it's a quiet place to be. I think I have P Zero run flats on mine? Would have to check.

Only time the noise is loud is concrete sections of either the M4 or M25. They tend to hum a high pitch whine.

I wonder if it has to be disabled?

I did a few tests with the foot opening sensor and mine will open the boot if you wave your foot to either side of the centre of the bumper too.

At the risk of kicking the towbar (Very painful!) I wonder if it could be left operational?

I am having a bar fitted on Friday so should know more after that.....

I am slightly sceptical when it come to programming however. The towbar centre say that they can do it but I wonder if they actually can as presumably to do it properly would need the Mercedes computer?

Sam

I know some towbar fitters use by-pass electric kits to reduce the cost and time of the towbar install. By-passing all the safety features. . . traction control, trailer stability programs. The vehicle does not know its towing anything and cant react correctly if you are towing anything.
I know the ribbon sensor is directly in the way of the towbar at the middle part of the bumper, if it can be moved sympathetically and the coding done to NOT disable the release. . . this would be interesting to know.
Some fitters do have access to programing tools other than STAR that can do the job like the Westfalia Autocode coding tool, so it may be possible.
Please let us know how you get on.

sTeVe

Any updates on how the fitting went. Just picked up a new GLC AMG line and also Looking to get a bar fitted.spoken to a number of different fitters, seems there is a bit of a difference of opinion as to whether the basal bar fits with the AMG styling.

Thanks for the reminder - I forgot to report back!

The towbar was fitted successfully. I had a GDW detachable towbar and a dedicated wiring kit made by Right Connections.

The bar fits with a bumper but but this can be minimised by careful location of the electrical socket. The electrics were coded and everything appears to work as it should in terms of the car knowing if the caravan bulbs have gone etc... and also automatic disabling of the blind spot assist and parking sensors.

The difficult part of fitting the bar was the relocation of the sensor wire for the foot operated boot release. This can be relocated with care to further up inside the bumper. As my coding wasn't done by Mercedes there are a couple of features missing. The first is the zoom on the reverse camera and the second is that the foot operated boot release still works (and it does work well).

I have had a thought about why you might want it disabled though, when fitting the detachable bar (or indeed if the factory fitted automatic swing one was deployed) it will open the boot as the sensor detects a "foot wave". This has caught me out twice and both times narrowly missed the boot hitting me on the way up and down. This can be avoided with care but maybe best disabled - I haven't decided yet. I might ask the dealer to look into the settings on the reverse camera when I get it serviced.

The fitting took over 6 hours in total which could explain why it was so expensive.... Kent towbars in Tonbridge have done a great job.

Cheers

Sam

Any updates on how the fitting went. Just picked up a new GLC AMG line and also Looking to get a bar fitted.spoken to a number of different fitters, seems there is a bit of a difference of opinion as to whether the basal bar fits with the AMG styling.

The Bosal bar should fit I think..... I sent their technical department an email and they have confirmed it is OK with the AMG line bumper.

Towtrust have just released one too. Worth checking with them, I have a GDW (see the above post) it seems well made and good quality.

Thanks

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom