GLE 500e

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

janky

Car
Audi Allroad
Hi. I understand in Europe the GLE plug-in hybrid is the GLE 500e. I tried searching this forum but I don't see any posts on this vehicle. Does anyone own this vehicle and can give me some information on it? Thanks!

It's probably because nobody has bought one. We've sold 1 since it was launched

Hi. I understand in Europe the GLE plug-in hybrid is the GLE 500e. I tried searching this forum but I don't see any posts on this vehicle. Does anyone own this vehicle and can give me some information on it? Thanks!

Daughters boyfriend (who looks after the fleet where he works) had one on demo for a while. Lovely petrol V6 growl when accelerating but frighteningly bad on fuel when not being charged (think low 20s on a decent motorway run)

Nice but not going to sell many against the XC90 T8 I suspect...

Yeah, I really can't find proof that anyone online has bought the GLE500e (in Europe) nor the GLE550e (in the states). I've called several dealers in the SF Bay Area, no return calls. I've tried to call Mercedes Benz US phone number, no dice. The fact that no one is buying them isn't a good sign. I'm looking for some folks who have experience with the car but it looks that might be hard :-\

I saw one in a hotel car park on Wednesday, so one has been sold.

Took delivery of a GLE 500e 3 weeks ago. Am still getting my head round it all. It's very different to my previous GL. Summary though is that I'm delighted. It's super smooth, and super quick when you need it. I'm getting 18 miles on electric on a full charge, which covers a surprising number of short journeys. Happy to try and answer any questions ...

Wow, someone here actually bought the electric hybrid. Bunch of questions:

1. How does it run in terms of performance comparing to your older GL?
2. How long did it take from order to when you picked it up?
3. I heard a rumor the cargo space is a tad tighter due to the battery, that true?
4. Were you considering the diesel GLE instead? If so, what made you choose?

I really would love to get this car in the states but I called a dealer a few weeks ago and they said it's not even shipping yet to the states (under the GLE550e name). So even though it's on the US website I don't know if you can place an order for one. So, I'm opting for the diesel GLE.

Answers are:

1). Compared to my GL420 diesel the GLE 500e is much smoother (Petrol vs Diesel) and quicker. The GLE can do 62mph in 5.1 secs. The GL is about 7secs. In real world driving that means a big boost in overtaking "grunt". As regards mpg, haven't really owned the GLE for long enough yet to give a true sense, but after 600 miles I've averaged 39mpg. The GL is at best 25mpg.

2) it took 5 months order to delivery (in early May).

3). Yep the boot (trunk!) is eaten up a bit by the battery. The 500e quotes 480-1800 litres vs regular GLE of 690-2010 litres. For me, the 1800 vs 2010 is the key stat. Only a 10% reduction with all the seats down when hauling the kids back from University.

4). No, didn't consider the diesel GLE because (and this reason may not cross the Atlantic) of UK company vehicle taxation rules. The 500e is below 135gCO2/km hence lends itself well to corporate contract hire and has a much lower benefit in kind charge than the regular diesel. I wanted to buy a really smooth, really quick, 5 seater 4x4 SUV through my company and the tax/CO2 efficient choices in the UK are minimal - Mitsubishi, Cayenne? That's it (or it was in December when I ordered it). In the next few years Audi, BMW, Tesla will all be bringing out their own versions. Hence I took a 3 year fixed price finance and maintenance deal. Merc are being out plug hybrids of all their cars over the next few years. C, S and GLE are here. E is next I think.

Summary - we all have different and personal reasons for choosing a car. I loved the GL - it served me well but is now too big and thirsty. 600 miles in, I've found the GLE a delight to drive, especially in Sport Mode. Everything tightens up and it flies along. Then you can also get all sensible and nip down the shops on the electric[emoji3]. Hope that's helpful to folk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply MKGL420 (maybe you need to change your username? :) ). As much as I want to take a risk and order the equivalent car in the states, I just don't think things are ready yet with MB USA so I'm going to go with the GLE diesel. I don't have 6 months to wait either, lease is up in September.

I can't believe more of these haven't sold; great mpg, no soot chucking and a very quick motor, where's the problem?

I can't believe more of these haven't sold; great mpg, no soot chucking and a very quick motor, where's the problem?

Cost probably, it's £7K more than the equivalent GLE43 which has a nice smooth V6TT motor, lots of get up and go and a full size boot. Plus there's the newish technology to deal which is fine when it's under full warranty.

So I guess unless it ticks a particular set of company car running boxes there's less appeal for the private buyer.

The GLE500e uses the same V6TT lump doesn't it?

The GLE500e uses the same V6TT lump doesn't it?

I think it uses the version that's in our SL with 333hp. The 43 has a remapped version at 367hp by the looks of it.

Bottom line is it looks like 0.4s 0-60 for an extra £7K for the 500e

You'd think Mercedes would be shouting about an SUV 436bhp with a claimed 76mpg (big LOL) from the rooftops though?!

You'd think Mercedes would be shouting about an SUV 436bhp with a claimed 76mpg (big LOL) from the rooftops though?!

I wonder how close it will actually get to 76mpg though. But you're right, there's not much promotion in there.

Agreed Red C220. The GLE only makes sense to me economically via company funded contract hire deal. Otherwise you have got to find £55-65k from after tax income. With 84g CO2/km the 500e is very corporation tax and VAT friendly for the company. And, for income tax, has a BIK rate of only 8% more than pure electric over the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom