GLK coming to UK in 2012?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rory

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model) - Bought 2005, Sold 2022.
Stumbled across GLK listed on a leasing company website with the statement that it's going to be available in the UK in 2012.

Not heard this anywhere else, but I also saw that GLK will be facelifted for the 2013 model year (available late 2012) in the US, so perhaps it ties in with that. They're adding diesel engine availability in the US (already available in Europe) with seems to be big news.

It would be nice if it is and I for one will be near the front of the queue for a test drive

But the gossip seems to suggest an all new platform is needed to get the 4x4 into the GLK and the C Class on which is is based so if the 2013 model is just a facelift then this would not ring true.

I hope you are right and the gossip is wrong.

It was rumoured that any current design RHD GLK model coming to the UK would be RWD only. :dk: There will evidently be a new small 4WD vehicle based on the new FWD A class platform. It will probably have a entirely different type of part time 4WD system like VW's Haldex type system. Again no firm date for this model and whether it will eventually reach UK shores.

It was rumoured that any current design RHD GLK model coming to the UK would be RWD only. :dk:

I found some other comments from a Mercedes exec at the back-end of last year and he was talking about an AWD GLK in RHD also enabling AWD C & E Class to be sold in RHD markets. Interesting that AWD 3 & 5 Series were supposed to be coming last year but never materialised.

I don't suppose they'll sell many GLKs in the UK, not least because its looks are somewhat unique, but it must hurt to have nothing to offer against X3 & Q5 etc. India was touted as a significant RHD market they're missing out on.

I don't suppose they'll sell many GLKs in the UK, not least because its looks are somewhat unique,

I think the looks are subjective and lets be honest, the Evoque isn't exactly mainstream (yet).

I think it will sell because of the badge on the front in the same way that the X3 does

When i worked at MB the info was that the GLK would appear after it was facelifted....as would 4matic 204's... the latter didnt show.. so expect the former wont either.

Is a shame... but the LHD "american snow belt" is probably 20x bigger market...

Interestingly. I took part in an MB customer satisfaction telephone survey yesterday.
Q: How would you rate your present car and the service you have received from MB?
A: Excellent and excellent.
Q: When do you expect to change your car?
A: Probably before the end of the year.
Q: Do you expect to buy another Mercedes?
A: Probably not.
Q: Oh, why is that?
A: Mercedes do not make a car at the moment that suits my current needs.
Q: In which case, which car might you buy?
A: Probably a Volvo XC60 or the new Honda CR-V.
Q: What do you like about these cars?
A: Well, I can get in a top of the range XC60, less than 6 months old, for a little over £30,000. I can get in a brand new top of the range Honda CRV for £30,000. They are both very good cars - apparently. The new ML would cost me nearly £60,000 and you don't make a CRV size car.
Questioner: Thank you sir, have a good day sir..

Truth is that if the GLK became available here, I might be interested, but checking out the images it looks pretty ugly.

I may be wrong or stupid, or both, but people like me have the choice as to how and where to spend our money. If Mercedes don't offer the goods, we have no option but to go elsewhere...

Shame for me...bad news for MB (IMHO)...!

I think I might have a test drive, but I have convinced myself that it is too rich for me, however a test drive would be nice.

I may be wrong or stupid, or both, but people like me have the choice as to how and where to spend our money. If Mercedes don't offer the goods, we have no option but to go elsewhere...

Shame for me...bad news for MB (IMHO)...!

Apparently in the US the vast majority of GLK buyers are new to the brand, which of course is exactly what you want as a manufacturer.

To be honest, I think it looks hideous in the pictures, and it's not much better in real life (I've seen them in the US and in Europe). But some competition for the other mid-SUVs would suit us both when we make our next purchases!

I saw one the other day and I liked it. They look much better in the flesh than in pictures.

I think MB have seriously lost their way with exterior design, but with this model I thought they got it spot on to be honest.......???

Last edited:
... but with this model I thought they got it spot on to be honest.......???

You're entitled to your opinion of course. I've PM'd you a SpecSavers voucher. :)

Can you post it to me, finally I'm ready for glasses, almost made it to 50!

posted in the older thread in error :eek: AFAIK In Canada they come with the V6 petrol engine, 20" alloys and chromed roof bars. Its often the "details" that can make or break the look of a slab sided vehicle. Mind you its never going to look as good as the current KIA SPORTAGE :(

I still think they look too much like the Shogun Pinin

I really like the looks of the GLK and would almost certainly have bought one if they had done 4wd versions for the UK.

I find it more than hard to believe they will do a RHD GLK in 4wd form for the UK in 2012. They have only just facelifted the GLK -see another thread. It will come to the UK with the new model GLK provided this time somebody can remind the design department that RHD is needed -after all a third of the world is RHD.

The GLK is unlikely to come to the UK in its present form because the AWD system takes up too much space for it to be re-engineered for RHD. It's the same reason why we don't get the 4x4 C-Class C-350, which is fabulous by the way.

The new A-Class 350 bhp AMG version is rumoured to get AWD. IF it does this will be the same electronic Haldex system as the Golf R and Audi S3 / RS3.

If the UK ever gets a GLK, it will be the next generation model.

If you're desperate for a cheaper AWD benz go for a second hand G-Wagen. Genius car.

They have only just facelifted the GLK -see another thread.

That's not out yet - it'll be released in the US in the middle of the year as a 2013 model. That's the car we're rumoured to be getting.

I did look at Daimler's annual report just published and it mentions the GLK as being released in June but doesn't mention RHD. It does make a comment about growth opportunities in China & India (both RHD, of course) and one of the presentations shows MB SUV sales increased 25% in 2011 over 2010 so one would imagine they'll be keen to do everything possible to keep that momentum going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom