Go Pro: Can Police use as videos as evidence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

24karrat

Car
1989 560 SEL AMG Japanese Import | 2014 A180 CDI AMG SPORT
On the weekend I brought a Go Pro Hero3+ made a small video clip below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MRw4yxkIcc

If I got stopped by police because I was using it on the exterior of the car can they then use any footage as evidence against me?

Kind Regards,

Manny

Yes………..it is evidence (involved in a crime or traffic offence) and can be seized.

On the weekend I brought a Go Pro Hero3+ made a small video clip below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MRw4yxkIcc

If I got stopped by police because I was using it on the exterior of the car can they then use any footage as evidence against me?

Kind Regards,

Manny

Is your question about the use of the camera on the outside of the car...or the illegal stuff you have been videoing? If the latter, then absolutely they can use it.

If they seized the cameras because they were mounted (by suction cup?) on the outside of a car, they can still seize them for the same reasons even if it is the camera itself and not the footage they are investigating.

The camera is suction cup mounted, purely used to get better angles you can't get on a DSLR camera, driving illegally and filming it would be asking for it, but it would be purely for interesting shots only. A officer isn't going to want to hear all that though.

Not sure how I would react if they stopped me purely because its mounted on my car, as it would just be for research purposes only. Seizing it to investigate weather they can use evidence against me would be a bit kuntish, if I was a chav in a VXR with a go pro driving fast then thats would be a reasonable reason, weather they take sports cars & classic cars and paint them with the same brush I don't know.

Reminds me of a conversation I had last weekend with my older friends who said driving on the UK roads 20 years ago was the best now it's Boring, Police enforcement cameras ect takes the joy out of driving, i agree, my generations of youth who drive their daddies cars & race friends & killing themselves as a result are to blame including money grabbing councils with their bus lane cameras act.

Hm, the suction cup on our cam barely holds it to the windscreen even inside the car never mind out in the wind...

If it's only held on with a suction cup, you are committing a motoring offence - "Insecure Load"

If it's only held on with a suction cup, you are committing a motoring offence - "Insecure Load"

Of course you are not.

No load is insecure unless obviously loose or it falls off, even then the police would not prosecute for a camera.

What is wrong with you, always bleating about how bad people are and wanting to get them prosecuted?

Interesting comments, the music was a standard template I used, apologies lol, it was a tester I ended up editing

My mobile phone can be used remotely to the go pro so it gives me a preview of what the shot will look like in advance for post production.

I just discovered on a forum that on the phone app there is a 'clear all' memory button, lol, which I think is class 1 button it's all gone & police just staring at a empty page.

Never the less being sensible & intending to use the camera for better angles for the music videos ect worse case I will just have to go through the whole regermerole of having my camera seized then given back. For the love of cars & videography... Still haven't found my answer so will have to wait & see till it happens.

image-2970294660.jpg

Suction cups have been used for years on roof racks . ( made by Travel Tackle , amongst others).

Not as the only means of attachment.

Of course you are not.

No load is insecure unless obviously loose or it falls off, even then the police would not prosecute for a camera.

What is wrong with you, always bleating about how bad people are and wanting to get them prosecuted?

It's more a matter of what's wrong with you. You always seem to know better. Whether the Police would or would not prosecute is immaterial. It's an offence and I have this on good authority.

Then again, I'm not going to bother arguing with you. It's like mud wrestling with a pig. You both get dirty but only one enjoys it.

I am sick to the back teeth of your nasty little attitude, and have bitten my lip far more often than I would have wished to. I just hope that you don't talk like that in the real world - because someone, somewhere, will take offence and act on it.

Last edited:
Most people that attach cameras to the outside of the car also use a tether tied to the camera and then fed into the cabin or tied to the wing mirror etc, in case the mount comes off.

Saves destroying your camera and littering the road.

Calm down gents, we are all here to discuss & share thoughts on random topics, so no one is right or wrong on here,

I plan to go shooting this weekend so will keep you posted if I get stopped, so far my research shows motorcyclists are more prone to getting stopped kind of a no brainer as to why but will keep looking till I can find some more official information

Plenty of online and TV car review shows use them and have done for years. How else would the likes of Chris Harris get those funky shots.

I plan to go shooting this weekend so will keep you posted if I get stopped, so far my research shows motorcyclists are more prone to getting stopped kind of a no brainer as to why but will keep looking till I can find some more official information

Apologies for the wordy reply but I hope it helps……..

The test for insecure load is a 'subjective' one; the load (or part) does not need to be loose or fall off. Being possible or likely is sufficient and a single suction mount, it could be argued, may be insufficient to handle the stresses placed on it. The way around this is (as Rashman said) to have a (one or more) safety line attached securely to a permanent body part, the line(s) being short as possible. This IMO would stop a subjective test in its tracks.

The act of 'seizure' could be because many others before you have been using this type of device to record questionable deeds such as (illegally) fast driving. If suspicion is there, they can look. This is not a problem if you aren't ar5ing around and filming it but do not under any circumstances resort to remotely wiping the camera.

If you inadvertently do something a bit naughty and the police take your camera, be philosophical about it because if you wipe the memory remotely, you will have Perverted the Course of Justice and that goes down like a lead balloon, believe me.

But how would the police know I wiped the camera? Well, you wouldn't be the first to have done it (so they know it can be done) and the HUGE clue would be a bloke driving around using an action camera with no footage stored on it.
And yes, quite often, this footage is recoverable.

So, driving around filming yourself/your car your friends with the camera attached with a suction cup with at least one other safety line…………no worries. And if you are not being naughty, then let the police look at what you've filmed with a clear conscious. Simples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom