Goodbye dear friend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ecossebev

Car
Mercedes Benz 230 TE
So, on my way to work on Friday morning, some muppet in a Rover 75 pulled out in front of me on a roundabout without looking and the inevitable happened. I've a funny feeling that was the last time l drove my W124:(.
After almost 5 years of ownership, not once did she let me down or leave me by the side of the road. Despite being 22 years old it still is the most reliable car I've ever owned. l accepted the fact that she was addicted to petrol, she was slow and l probably spent more on her than l did my wife over the last few years, but she got us from A to B and B to A. Probably the most important thing is she introduced me to the Mercedes Benz marque.
Damage was pretty light, bonnet, headlamp, wing, front grille and bumper took the brunt of it, but looking at the advisories on the last MOT and what l know to be wrong with her, it's probably not worth fixing and l would imagine the insurance will take that view too.
So.....onward and upward. Guessing at what l'm going to get from the insurance company, l'm looking for a 7 seater to accomodate the family and dogs and a W210 fits the bill exactly. From what l can see on eBay, they're well within my budget but it's what engine to get.
I'm looking for something with a bit more power. I got used to 21MPG in town with the 230te, so if l can something a bit more economical, that would be a bonus. I really only use my car for work during the week which is about 2 miles away from my house, currently doing about 4,000 miles a year. There's a E430 going for silly money on eBay just now and the prospect of telling everyone l own a V8 with 260 BHP makes my dangly bits all fizzy.
I have trusted the advice you guys have given me over the years which l have been really thankful for and now l need your advice again. What engine should l go for, what should l avoid and what do l need to look out for on a W210, rust being the number 1 concern?
I look forward to what my friends on here have to say.

For the mileage you do - go for the V8.

The smile will be worth the little extra in fuel you'll need and you will appreciate the extra power when you have the estate fully loaded.

I have a 2002 w210 nearly all the toys avantgard

Model I must say she is a joy to drive its the 220 cdi I get 43 to 55 mpg from it

Now I also have a c43 Amg which lets me go mad once in a while

So I would say a e55 estate would be perfect if you want both

I think the 55 if driven ok would do 26 mpg or so it what I get from c43

I have an E320cdi which is a fantastic engine, all the torque of the V8s with 40mpg economy. Superb auto box - common throughout the range. The 300td is also great. Rust is always an issue, if set in, avoid. Ride should be like a well sorted W124, if not, it will need a decent amount of work.

Frankly the E320 petrol is a nice car, and peanuts really, the diesels are more expensive but are genuinely economical, I'd be careful on an E430 and E55 that they haven't been bought by people who can't afford them and skimped - these have been cheap cars for some time. Gearbox should be silken smooth, check all the electrics work.

Good luck and very sorry to hear about your 230TE.

Last edited:
Thank you Charles. I'm not expecting a concourse example for the money l'm willing to spend, but gearboxes and serious rust are not part of my plan. Apart from the arches, where else should l be looking for rust? l work for ECP, so the staff discounts are generous to say the least (OE plugs, filters and Valvoline oil for under £18 for the 124), so l can afford to spend a bit on it.

Spring perches, spare wheel and first aid kit wells (not that those really matter), around the battery under the rear seat, base of doors, rear tailgate. Most is cosmetic of the sort you can control yourself with all the things you can buy cheaply.

Oh and if it needs a new evaporator, make your excuses and leave!

Front spring perches and engine chassis cross member [damp from engine encapsulation] known weak points on the W210. Repair panels are available but its a situation/expense to avoid.

I really only use my car for work during the week which is about 2 miles away from my house,

I look forward to what my friends on here have to say.

Get a pushbike on the ride to work scheme...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom