Goodyear Eagle Assymetrics!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KeithJG

Car
Vauxhall Tourer
Hi all,

I have a silly thing happening at the moment.....I have had 4x Goodyear Assymetrics on for about a month now ...the fronts seem ok but the rears make the car skittish ......instead of the rear just rolling over the bump or cats eye in damp weather it will skid off it sideways or just drop off the bump and i do not like the feel of it???, this is driving in a straight line.

It does this when just driving normally without much throttle or speed as said just ordinary driving. If i drive fast on the Mway all ok.

I bought these tyres and even threw the front Contis away with 5mm still on them so that i was the same tyre all round but now wish i had`t bothered.

The front pressures are on the recommended 32psi and 33psi on the rears ...i was thinking of dropping the rear pressure a bit but i do travel fast and i know the pressure should be increased for faster speed?

The tyres are very quiet compared to the Nexen upper budget tyres which were on the rear but they did handle well with no problems ...this has just happened simply on a tyre change.

I am always the only weight in the motor 15st...lol

The only other tyre i have had that did this was Pirelli Cinturato on my Mini Cooper in 1968 .....but we are now 2016!

Any ideas about tyre pressure?....or does someone else have a similar problem on the C class?....or how many miles needed for bedding in?

3 of my cars are on these tyres running at manufacturer recommended tyre pressures. Never had any issues at all like this. Maybe get the rear suspension checked , dodgy springs or worn shocks ???

I replaced all four Pirelli P Zeros with Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics a month ago on my E320cdi and am very pleased with them: quieter and grip just as well. All the research I did indicated they are considered good tyres.

To get the obvious one out of the way... they were fitted the right way round and not "inside out" by a blind tyre monkey?

Like HB i'm running standard/recommended pressures and the F1 assymetrics on mine live up to their reputuation for being excellent in the wet as well as quiet and comfy etc. Obviously i'm not comparing like for like as the Contis they replaced were fairly worn but unlike the Contis i can boot the car out of side junction without lighting up the inside rear unless i properly stamp on throttle. Don't remember them being noticably skittish when new or needing many miles to 'scrub in' either

Are you sure the back end is actually sliding around a little and it's not that the Goodyears have a much softer sidewall than the old tyres?

3 of my cars are on these tyres running at manufacturer recommended tyre pressures. Never had any issues at all like this. Maybe get the rear suspension checked , dodgy springs or worn shocks ???

Had the suspension all checked when at the MOT many weeks back all is ok ...they thought i was mad so must be in good nick underneath?

Although i have had the remap and i drive in S mode i wouln`t of thought i am planting my foot too much because of the great torque it has?

As said when driving faster it is ok and suspension will show up at my speeds....lol

I will give them some rough treatment without EPS and see if they get a better surface for grip?

Thanks for the replys

To get the obvious one out of the way... they were fitted the right way round and not "inside out" by a blind tyre monkey?

Like HB i'm running standard/recommended pressures and the F1 assymetrics on mine live up to their reputuation for being excellent in the wet as well as quiet and comfy etc. Obviously i'm not comparing like for like as the Contis they replaced were fairly worn but unlike the Contis i can boot the car out of side junction without lighting up the inside rear unless i properly stamp on throttle. Don't remember them being noticably skittish when new or needing many miles to 'scrub in' either

Are you sure the back end is actually sliding around a little and it's not that the Goodyears have a much softer sidewall than the old tyres?

I wonder if your right about sidewalls?.....yes, they are the correct way around as i use a superb fitting place.

Ok so i am now 67 but i use to do rallying when younger and am no newcomer to throwing or driving sedatly a motor around i am so OCD i don`t even have a radio on when driving and never have done ...i just listen to the car.

Are you saying that the Goodyears have softer or harder sidewalls?

I've always found Assy's to be good tyres, however, like all summer tyres it's still a bit cold for them at the mo.

My current PZero's clunk and groan at the slightest opportunity at walking pace speeds in this winter period - I just don't think they get warm enough to function properly.

I wonder if your right about sidewalls?.....

Are you saying that the Goodyears have softer or harder sidewalls?

The Assymetrics have a soft sidewall. Not properly squidgy but noticable when comparing turn in to a more 'sporty' tyre. Dunno how they'd compare to whatever Nexens were on it previously but i'd bet the sidewall is a bunch thinner and more supple and the entire tyre is noticably lighter too

I will light them up a few times with the ESP off to scrub them up a bit and will report what happens?

Thanks

Last edited:
Takes about 300-500 miles to properly bed in...
Once done, they are excellent tyres with excellent wet grip..

I wonder if your right about sidewalls?.....yes, they are the correct way around as i use a superb fitting place.

Depends how old your Contis were, but yes modern tyres are far from what they used to be in terms of sidewall strength.

Between todays Conti's and Goodyears, the Goodyears will have the firmer walls.

As you now have more tread on the rear you maybe feeling more tread block movement..

I have Eagle F1s on the BMW and as others have said they are good in the wet and are progressive in the dry. They do seem be wearing quite quickly though.

If you can be bothered you could try swapping the front and back wheels if they are not staggered

Went out this morning with the ESP off and felt a teenager again doing wheelies etc. but only in a quiet safe place.....lol

Went around equal left right situations spinning the wheels and on the way back home at normal driving again the ride was noticeably better...i do believe it is the cold temperature that is giving the not so good ride?

Also i think it made the back suspension links and bushes warm up a bit.

My Volvo 960 when first used on cold mornings used to rattle and squeak but after about 5 mls it was very quiet all the noises gone as it had warmed up the suspension parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom