Goodyear F1 for W216 CL600 - question re mixing tyre types

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IwanttobuyaCL

Car
W216 CL600
Hi all.
I need to replace tyres on 2007 W216 CL600. From reviews it seems that Goodyear Asymmetric 2s or 3s are a good option as seem to be quiet with decent fuel economy plus performance. Problem is that I can't get a full set of either on the car as they don't make all sizes* so I can go for the 3s on the front and the 2s on the back. I asked a person at an online retailer if this was do-able and they said it was as all the tyres were "asymmetric"??

Any experience of mixing these two tyres (or any two versions of the same tyre)?

* I am assuming that if I currently run 45 profile tyres front and back that I need to stick to 45 profile on replacements but please correct me if wrong as am a novice in this regard

Thanks!

Unless you're talking about serious track performance where every millisecond counts, there is no issue with running different sets of tyres on front to back. I tend to stick to the rule of having the same tyre per axle.

I've had the following combinations with no issues.

Front Conti CS5 / Rear Conti CS3
Front Conti CS5 / Rear Mich PS3
Front Conti CS5 / Rear Mich PS4
Front Mich PS3 / Rear Mich PS4

You will have to stick to the same tyre size to maintain the same wheel radius, therefore if the current profile is 45 and you are fitting to the same alloys, the profile will remain as 45.

Last edited:
Hi

I can only get the 3s for the front being 245/35/19 and the rears at 275/30/19 only the 2s are available from my suppliers , No problems at all mixing these they are the only tyre I will drive on Goodyear F1s are the best all round tyres it's the wet weather grip and beautiful progressive breakaway that sets them apart , I do 40000 miles a year and have used these now for over 4 years , Conti's are great in the dry wet roads let them down badly especially at the Nurburgring !

Im another Eagle F1 fan.

I currently have a mix of 2 and 3 on the 5 series

Initially the 3s were on the back and the 2s on the front , but to balance out tyre wear i have switched them round. I cant say i have noticed any adverse handling effects from running different models across axles.

Thanks for replies - very helpful.

Although things may have changed with the Asymmetric 3, when I was looking at the Asymmetric 2 I couldn't find the rear tyres in the correct load rating for my CL55 and the C216 is a heavier car.

Although things may have changed with the Asymmetric 3, when I was looking at the Asymmetric 2 I couldn't find the rear tyres in the correct load rating for my CL55 and the C216 is a heavier car.

Interesting - I will make sure I check that point before buying.

On this point, I can find 2s for the rear with a load index of 103 (=875kgs) and 3s for the front with a load index of 99 (=775kgs).

The manual has a page for "Mixed Tyres" and "AMG equipment". Under 'mixed', the requirements are 99 front, 103 rear but marked "MOExtended". I assume I don't have to go for MOExtended tyres (conti's I think) as that designation doesn't change the tyre rating?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom