Got a new CLK DTM today - YAY!! Broken it already - DOH!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
I had to think hard before posting this, as it really is the cause of much embarrassment. I thought by sharing the story though at least it might get it off my chest!! :eek:

I've managed to resist the temptation of posting for 86 days now, but today was the day. The day MBClub got it's second CLK DTM - I thought it would likely be the first - but alas not. This time a black tin top with full AMG racing livery. :bannana:

Despite being a few years old it's as new, previously part of a collection and never used on the road. I was a bit unsure about the livery but each time I looked at it it's grown on me.

It was a local car - literally a few miles away - and Mrs D came across it late last year, did a deal and surprised me on Christmas day. I'm rubbish at receiving gifts - especially expensive ones as I can't help but think "I would have picked a...".

I really didn't know how to react. It was an expensive purchase that we don't really need and can't really use every day, and I really wouldn't have picked a car with racing livery - apparently it left the factory like it. I soon came round though!! ;)

For one reason and another it took a while to actually get to drive it. Today the waiting ended. This morning I was all ready to go, but the battery was flat!! :wallbash:

Not to worry, popped it on the trickle charger, and we went shopping for the day.

Got home and couldn't resist depite it absolutely pouring down with rain. We agreed we wouldn't take it out on the road, and so just had a go at home. Blimey it's quick - too quick as it turned out.

I positioned the car to get the longest run I could without taking it out on to the road, and planted my foot on the accelerator. Of course my C32 is a quick car but I just wasn't ready for the way in which it accelerated. It's a beast!! :devil:

I ran out of space and hit a concrete garden ornament!! :doh:

Already gutted, I tried to back it up but the offside front wheel was dragging as I tried to manouvere the car. I've managed to make a right mess of the suspension and steering - and now it's gone for repair. :(

It was all over so quickly I don't even have any photos of the actual car. It's identical to Alesi's car though - even down to the Alesi sticker in the window - so for now this photo taken from the interweb will have to do I'm afraid:

Mercedes-CLK-DTM-151.jpg

I got a blu-ray player for Christmas. In common with BDs CLK it also broke. I propose a swap - I'll even deliver and collect. My broken BluRay player for your broken CLKDTM.

are you (and Maff for that matter) intending to keep these cars for a while as a sort of investment, rather than a toy to play with and move on when your bored with it?

and once it is repaired it will be like new again so no problem there either!

Just consider yourself lucky -- it could have been a garden gnome and then the gnome police would be on you like a ton of bricks...

Hope you can bring it to a GTG would love to see it:thumb:

The car that is not the garden ornament:D

There's a chance I'll get to drive it this weekend. Hopefully for a little longer this time.

If I do, pics will follow...

That is quite the story LOL :)

It must be far quicker then you imagined otherwise you would've not done that!

So congrats... and also sorry to hear that... :) You need to put up some pics when its repaired!!!

P.S. Bring it to Ollys GTG and there'll be 2 DTM'S? That will be something :)

Last edited:
That's it.

The DTM has to be at my GTG. No excuses!

Well I saw it yesterday but I didn't get to drive it.

Someone asked if it would be a 'play thing' and that was my intention, and so maybe I shouldn't be too surprised if it picks up some damage along the way. I just didn't expect it to happen so soon.

I've learnt a valuable lesson though that you have to give a car like this the respect it's performance demands. If you don't then don't be too surprised if the car bites back and puts you back in your place.

I've also learnt that opening up the performance is best left for wide open spaces. I noticed Maff took his to VMax which is an option if I want to have the full-on experience, or maybe just take it easier and give it some beans on a big empty car park where there are fewer obstacles and no concrete garden ornaments.

It's repaired now, and you'd never know if I hadn't told you, but I know and it's knocked the shine off it a bit.

Pictures? Oh yes, I said I'd get some pictures. Here she is...

Last edited:
Melamine. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom