Gout - Not just for comedic red nosed fat folk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Woke up last night from a great sleep. Agony in my right foot and I do mean agony. it felt like somebody had set fire to my big toe while crushing it in a vice. I would describe this a screaming toothache for the foot.

No sleep to be had. Even having a light bed sheet touch my foot hurt.

Foot swelled up and went bright red. No chance of getting a shoe on this morning. Googled it (I know). Gout. No way said I. Oh yes confirmed the doc. 100% gout. He also has suffered so prescribed industrial pain killers and anti-swelling drugs. Now manageable but still very swollen.

Never had anything like this in my life, so a shock to be told I have Gout.

Gout? Have I been transported back to the 1800's? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gout? Have a been transported by to the 1800's? :confused:

There's nothing 1800's about gout. It's a real and current and painful condition.

Exactly my thoughts this morning, hence my post this evening. I honestly thought it happened to Dickensian Landlords or Workhouse Managers.

IanA2 is correct when he mentions the pain. It was (to me) off the scale.

The doctor who saw me is in his thirties and started to suffer in his twenties. He had every sympathy for my discomfort.

I guess I am staggered at how it would just happen - Boom- No warning shot - nothing.

Once was enough for me………my regimen involves making sure I drink at least 3l of fluids a day intake and cherry extract capsules. The stronger the better.
So far so good.

If you had, there'd be no internet and you'd be in Australia...:D

Nasty condition, never had it but know at least two people who have had, neither the image of the two bottle orthodox SPX has in mind.

Once was enough for me………my regimen involves making sure I drink at least 3l of fluids a day intake

Yes fluid intake is v. important.

I have suffered from suspected gout pain recently, still undergoing tests. I rarely drink and don't eat meat.
Actually surprising how many people suffer from gout. Apparently there is effective medication available.

eGuru said:
I have suffered from suspected gout pain recently, still undergoing tests. I rarely drink and don't eat meat. Actually surprising how many people suffer from gout. Apparently there is effective medication available.

I am vegetarian. I do like a drink or two. Favourite being Guiness. Not look for too much of that right now. Doc said avoid dark beer and wine along with red meat.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Have suffered from this on and off for years. Its extremely painful, especially when its in the thumb.

WOODYTHEWISE said:
Have suffered from this on and off for years. Its extremely painful, especially when its in the thumb.

Woody. Do you get any early warning signs?

It troubles me that I had none or never noticed any.

As far as I am aware usually the first warning is when you get out of bed and fall over!

Not as a rule. Most times it's there when I awake, at times it causes me to awaken early.
When in the thumb ( usually the right one) it's even hard to turn the ignition key in the Suzuki due to the pain. To someone who has not experienced it it's hard to explain.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

I had it a few years ago, thought that I had broken my big toe, went to see the doctor and it was gout...... very painful.
I changed my diet to lose weight, giving up carbs and eating more protein(red meat) and he reckoned this is what caused the gout. As has been said, less red meat, plenty of water and no red wine or port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom