GPS Gadget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
I am looking at getting a handheld GPS gadget as a Christmas present. I already have an iPaq with Navman jacket, it is OK for in-car etc but I dont use it for that, I want a handheld device with long battery life for use when walking/hiking. I need to have maps to OS level, I currently have Memory Map software for the whole UK, very detailed showing all usual OS detail.

Have been looking at the Garmin Legend eTrex Colour. Has anybody any experience of this or can recommend another one? Needs to be around £250 (ish)

I'm no expert but I have a Mio168 pocket PC with integral GPS (smaller and lighter than an iPAQ).

Novatech (www.novatech.co.uk) are selling them for £219 with no software, or £299 with Destinator 3 equivalent.

Battery life may be an issue for this though (estimated at 4 hours continuous) but I suspect that will be the case for any handheld!

Nick

I had a Magelan sporttrak which was very good but quite big.

I had a Garmin Etrex (the basic yellow one) which was quite good and very small.

With only 3-4 buttons however, entering waypoints, OS grid refs etc is a bit tedious...

The Garmin e-trex range can only accept Garmin's own maps. They come on a CD, are not that detailed and cost a fortune :devil: There is no way to load any other type of map into them.

Type GPS into your newsgroup server and have a sniff around there, there is plenty of useful information to be found.

Plodd said:
A little bird tells me Jimmy now has a Tom Tom Go. :D :D

Yes, thanks to Plodd I now have an excellent TomTom Go. I am ever so pleased with it. Makes the DX navigation seem stoneage in comparison.

Trouble is, it is great in the car but not much use for walking or hiking. Interesting point above about the mapping on the Garmin units, one company said no, Garmin are not compatible with Memor Map, another seller said they were. :confused:

league67 said:
external usb antena. the only truly integrated ones are mio168 (nice thing if a bit slow) and navman pin (well same thing different badge and price tag). Works well but as most of then no full post code search.
I have a clone of the Mio/Pin - its called a Yakumo delta Navigator and I got it from ToysRus :D The hardware is virtually identical to the Mio and the Navman Pin, the only real difference is the name badge!

There are other clones too, Medion do one which is sold by Halfords and Aldi. I suspect the Lidl offering is exactly the same hardware, just comes with an extra external antenna for use where the windscreen blocks the GPS signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom