Gran Turismo 4 is out (Japanese and Chinese)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
Some Merc shots

IMGP1803edit.jpg

IMGP1802edit.jpg

IMGP1801edit.jpg

IMGP1804edit.jpg

Cars in the game:

MERCEDES-BENZ (Germany)

(Benz) Patent Motor-Wagen (1886)
(Daimler) Motor Carriage (1886)
(Sauber) C9 (LeMans '89)
190E 2.5 16V Evolution II ('91)
190E 2.5 16V Evolution II (Sonax DTM '92)
300SL Coupe ('54)
A160 ('98)
CL600 ('00)
CLK55 AMG ('00)
CLK-DTM (D2 DTM '00)
CLK-GTR LM Race Car ('98)
E55 AMG ('02)
SL500 ('98)
SL500 ('02)
SL600 ('04)
SL55 AMG ('02)
SL65 AMG ('04)
SLK230 Kompressor ('98)
SLR McLaren ('03)

Slightly updated list (apparently)

MERCEDES-BENZ (18 - 1 - 1)
(Benz) Patent Car (1886)
(Daimler) Motor Carriage (1886)
(Sauber) C9 (LeMans '89)
190E 2.5 16V Evolution II ('91)
190E 2.5 16V Evolution II (DTM '92)
300SL Coupe ('54)
A160 ('98)
C32 AMG
CL600 ('00)
CLK55 AMG ('00)
CLK-DTM (D2 DTM '00)
CLK-GTR LM Race Car ('98)
E500 Wagon
E55 AMG ('02)
SL500 ('98)
SL500 ('02)
SL600 ('04)
SL55 AMG* ('02)
SL65 AMG ('04)
SLR McLaren ('03)

Arrived today

Last edited:
Been waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting for this! Is this the same as the UK version? Is your PS2 chipped? How much/where?

Dare say you'll be pretty much occupied for the next couple of days ;)

Shame there's no Ferrari/Porsche; maybe in GT5 - I would have though that Sony/PD will have bigger budget for licensing than just about anybody else.

I've spent ages here. Message boards are interesting ...

It will be the same as the UK version, although I would expect some minor improvements and bug fixes by March.

I got my PS2 chipped a while back at the computer markets on Tottenham Court Road for (almost forgot) £50. Came with a warranty, and the guys were highly recommended. No problems since.

Major problem - I work from home and my desk is right next to the TV. Looks like I won't be achieving much this week. :-(

My guess on the Porsche/Ferrari thing is that there is more than Money at stake. Can't remember if they already exclusively licence to other gaming houses. They would be silly not to be affiliated with PD/Sony.

Perhaps the MS crowd have them on board for Forza already...... ;-)

Do you need a chipped PS2 (mine isn't) to play the Japanese version? Did you just get it from a Japanese site, or do you know someone over there?

I'll probably wait in any case, but be interesting to know.

I bought a Logitech Driving Force Pro FF wheel and pedals just for this; brill on Prologue, so can't wait for GT4.

You do need either a Japanese PS2, or a chipped PS2 to play this.

I purchased this and a few other bits and pieces from Asia's biggest game exporter http://www.lik-sang.com - they are a major force in the global distribution of Asian games and hardware to fans.

They have been shipping PSPs (Playstation Portables) for a while now - I won't order one until GT4 is available.

Nice link - good prices on GT4 as well. But, my PS2 isn't chipped, so I'll wait :rolleyes:

So how's it going? Done the Nurburgring yet? ;) How does that Daimler Motor Carriage handle? :D

Unfortunately work has been a little busy, and wife isn't feeling the best - so my surround amp turned up full blasting pro logic II car racing through our 1 bedroom flat isn't really happening right now.

Got a guy coming around with a broken pc soon, once he's gone it's headphones on. Have taken the crossfire around the ring a few times.

This version has network play, which people are using via Xlink on the PC. Proper Nurburgring racing! I'll try it this weekend.

scotth_uk said:
They have been shipping PSPs (Playstation Portables) for a while now - I won't order one until GT4 is available.

GT is available for PSP (perhaps not from Lik-Sang)

My friend was playing it!

on GT4 for PS2, does the background draw properly (because of the extra detailing in the cars)?

Or is it a bit like WRC4 (loads of detail in the graphics, but in order to achieve it I think they decreased the redraw of the background... i.e. rocks and stuff doesn't start it's life in the horizon and come towards you, it just 'suddenly' appears in the mid ground instead of the far distance)

uumode said:
GT is available for PSP (perhaps not from Lik-Sang)
My friend was playing it!

Interesting - it's not finished yet, in any language. I tried to translate something the other day, and believe that there is a "press release/preview" that has been widely distributed but it is by no means complete. It's the version that UK magazines have received for reviewing.

It's really only a port of the normal PS2 version, so there shouldn't really be much to do. Some debate around about whether or not all of the PS2 release's tracks and cars will be included.

Ships in Spring, but delays are expected. It was originally going to be a PSP release title for xmas. :-(

I'm looking to pick up a PSP after the initial price drop.

on GT4 for PS2, does the background draw properly (because of the extra detailing in the cars)?

Can't say I have noticed this, but GT has always drawn horizons differently from other games. In the mountain village track from Prologue, there were a lot of incomplete views that allowed you to see how they integrate a track into a background image. Quite clever in parts. :)

scotth_uk said:
...This version has network play, which people are using via Xlink on the PC. Proper Nurburgring racing! I'll try it this weekend.
I thought they (Digital Polophony) dropped network play from GT4? :confused: Maybe they've only dropped it from the PAL Euro version. :( Like Andy, I'll be waiting patiently for the Euro release. In the meantime GTA: San Andreas is keeping me and the PS2 pleasantly entertained :devil:

scotth_uk said:
Can't say I have noticed this, but GT has always drawn horizons differently from other games. In the mountain village track from Prologue, there were a lot of incomplete views that allowed you to see how they integrate a track into a background image. Quite clever in parts. :)
In GT3 on certain tracks (Detroit I think, the hilly city one) you could actually break free from the track in certain places (by the chicane) and drive around the scenery, you could see exactly how the game environment was put together.

S.

Last edited:
scotth_uk said:
Interesting - it's not finished yet, in any language. I tried to translate something the other day, and believe that there is a "press release/preview" that has been widely distributed but it is by no means complete. It's the version that UK magazines have received for reviewing.

It's really only a port of the normal PS2 version, so there shouldn't really be much to do. Some debate around about whether or not all of the PS2 release's tracks and cars will be included.

Ships in Spring, but delays are expected. It was originally going to be a PSP release title for xmas. :-(

I'm looking to pick up a PSP after the initial price drop.

ahh.. maybe that is what he was playing, the preview version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom